My casting reel

Discussion in 'Reels' started by JerseyBrian, May 7, 2008.

1. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I bit the bullet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Couldn't afford a Stella so hope this will last me for this year's BFT season in MA as well as the next 3 years in the caribbean :eek:

The drag knob has a unique feature that I've never seen before. It has a silicon type of built-in gasket on the underside of the drag knob; my guess is to help prevent the entrance of saltwater and sand.

Can't decide whether to spool with PE4 or PE5.

Comes with a nice Shimano Black Bag and Spool band
    [​IMG]

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

OK...what is it with you jersey guys and pic of boxes:p :D :D :D :D

HERE IS YOUR NEW ROD:D :D

Attached Files:

3. JerseyBrian

That was for Glenn :)

It's done Paul?!?! That was QUICK AS HELL! You didn't have to boxed it up as I could have picked it up :) That box looks so nice. Don't ruin it on me. I'll pick it up this sunday afternoon if that's cool with you. Only 17 days!

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

That was for Glenn :)

It's done Paul?!?! That was QUICK AS HELL! You didn't have to boxed it up as I could have picked it up :) That box looks so nice. Don't ruin it on me. I'll pick it up this sunday afternoon if that's cool with you. Only 17 days!
    no not done yet:D :D just having fun
    thats a 130# chair rod
    little heavy for jigging

5. JerseyBrian

no not done yet:D :D just having fun

lol, you got me. :p

6. gman

gman Senior Member

Thats a great reel Brian, I tried one last year and I was impressed. Good Luck with it and dont let me see you using it to catch snakeheads LMAO

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

lol, nice reel. I bet you can't wait to hear that drag scream.

8. JerseyBrian

Thats a great reel Brian, I tried one last year and I was impressed. Good Luck with it and dont let me see you using it to catch snakeheads LMAO
    haha, don't worry...I got my smaller Quantums for that duty :)

lol, nice reel. I bet you can't wait to hear that drag scream.
    Rich, BFT season couldn't come any sooner! However, the drag knob seems to be very slow and "heavy" to turn. I'm guess this is because of that Silicon gasket on the bottom of the drag knob...can anybody confirm? I'm going to APS again at some point this month so I'll bring it over for them to inspect it.

[​IMG]

9. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Curious......why did you go with the twinpower over another Sargosa?

10. JerseyBrian

Curious......why did you go with the twinpower over another Sargosa?

Well, who's to say that I'm not getting a Saragosa for my secondary reel? :D I'd like to have two reels for both jigging and casting. The Saragosa 18000 will be primary jigging reel as the Twin Power will be my primary casting reel. I will be getting a Saragosa 8000 for my secondary jigging and casting reel that would be mounted on my lighter jigging or casting rod.

The reason I picked the Twin Power as my primary casting reel was:

1) Amongst 8000 series reels, it has one of the highest gear ratio of 5.7:1
    2) Amongst 8000 series reels, it has one of the highest line capacities
    3) Amongst 8000 series reels, it can produce one of the higher drags (even though I'll only set it to low-mid 20s, it's good to know I won't be maxing out the drag) at 33lbs
    4) Against the Saragosa 8000F reel, it is more proven.

That's why it's the lead-off hitter and the Saragosa is on deck in my book.

11. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Here's the specs on the current Shimano 8000 reels less the Saragosa. I have the TwinPower 8000 HG and it's worked well for me.

Stella 8000 – Cap 12/325, 16/250, 20/185 - Max Drag 44 – Bearings 15 – Gear 5:0:1-22.8 oz

Sustain 8000 – Cap 12/325, 16/250, 20/185 - Max Drag 24 – Bearings 6 – Gear 5:7:1-20.6 oz

Twin Speed 8000 – Cap 20/250, 25/185 - Max Drag 33 – Bearings 10 – Gear HG 5:7:1, PG 5.0:1

12. JerseyBrian

Thanks Drifter! That Twin Power 8000PG looks like a winner too :) I might have to re-think things heh. btw, the Twin Power reels weigh 20.3 oz.

Saragosa 8000 - Cap 16/220, 20/160 - Max Drag 27 - Bearings 5 - Gear 5.2:1 - 20.6 oz

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Louis: I am assuming those are the specs Shimano puts out on the reels. But with all due respect to the Stella 8,000, 45 pounds of drag certainly seems excessive for a reel with a spool of that diameter. I have not tested mine for maximum drag, but will this weekend if I get a chance. I also have heard that the Stella 20,000 will put out more drag than the Twinspin SR30, and that may be true. I have not tested that reel either, but my Twinspin has gone up to 45 pounds, and I might have honked down on it for another 5 pounds--although I would never fish it above 30 for anything I will ever catch. I can't conceive of the Stella 8,000 matching that, and if it did, I would worry about something else failing in the old boiler room--like gear failure or a handle snapping or something equally horrible.

Russ

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I put the Saragosa at 30lbs to test, and it worked just fine. obviously it wasn't a screaming run from a fish, but the drags were smooth enough.

I don't know whether or not the stella 10k i have can do the 66lbs it claims......but it is silky smooth at 24lbs which is just fine by me :)

15. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I have the Stella 8000 and I dont know about the 44 lbs it claims but I have had it to 32 lbs and it was smooth.

I would like to here the results from Uncle Russ's 44 lb test.....

16. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I have the Stella 8000 and I dont know about the 44 lbs it claims but I have had it to 32 lbs and it was smooth.
    NICE...what kind of runs did the fish make with 32# of drag..what kinda fish?

17. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Russ,

I look at max drag ratings like a speedometer on a car, just because it has 160 mph on it doesn't mean you should or can drive it that fast...

Louis: I am assuming those are the specs Shimano puts out on the reels. But with all due respect to the Stella 8,000, 45 pounds of drag certainly seems excessive for a reel with a spool of that diameter. I have not tested mine for maximum drag, but will this weekend if I get a chance. I also have heard that the Stella 20,000 will put out more drag than the Twinspin SR30, and that may be true. I have not tested that reel either, but my Twinspin has gone up to 45 pounds, and I might have honked down on it for another 5 pounds--although I would never fish it above 30 for anything I will ever catch. I can't conceive of the Stella 8,000 matching that, and if it did, I would worry about something else failing in the old boiler room--like gear failure or a handle snapping or something equally horrible.

Russ

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

txseadog: Agree completely. Also, on a lot of cars the speedometer shows speeds the car couldn't reach if you dropped it out of a 747 at 40,000feet. :D But some do. When I was 16, I had saved $800.00 to buy a replacement for my 1948 Chevy. I found a Jag XK-120 with leather upholstery, wooden dash, dual OHC, and porcelain exhaust manifolds--for just that amount. My mom almost let me buy it---until she saw the speedometer read "180". And no, that was not KPH.

By the way, I was testing the drag on my ATD 12 the other evening in my garage, where I do most of my fishing, and the 100 pound JB snapped (must have been a bad place in the line). My overweight old ass fell backwards onto a plastic bin which shattered, sending shards all over God's creation. Big game fishing can be dangerous. :)

Russ

19. gman

gman Senior Member

I put the Saragosa at 30lbs to test, and it worked just fine. obviously it wasn't a screaming run from a fish, but the drags were smooth enough.

I don't know whether or not the stella 10k i have can do the 66lbs it claims......but it is silky smooth at 24lbs which is just fine by me :)

how did you test your drag rating

20. gman

gman Senior Member

I honestly think the drag rating on all of these reels is over-rated. In order to even think about using anywhere close to those drags

a. you need to have a spinning rod that can take it and I assure you 99% wont take it

b. I good life insurance policy, because odds are your going over or loosing your gear. 50#'s of drag on an 80W is OK but not on a spinner

I truly believe that there are a few fish you would ever need that drag on, odds are you would pull your hook, break your line or break your rod before you pushed 40#'s

The GT fisherman can get away with it because they are fishing 130 braid with a 200 twisted leader