360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is finally ready and just in time!!:D . Too bad Grescobia is at work:mad: , otherwise, I would have a picture of a nice bend in the blank. It will be paired with a Stella 20000 FA, 100 pound braid, and throw OTI poppers with 5/0 Owner trebles.

Length 7 feet 4 inches

Aftco Unibut size one
Jigging Master Powerspell 400 blank
ICMNSGs 40-30-25-20-16-16-16
MNST 16 top
Threadmaster regular build epoxy finish
Sorry about the blurry full rod shot. It is gloomy and I should of cranked the ISO up higher. I'll see if I can get a better full picture and post.

Scott

Attachments

·
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it power spell or just regular? I did not see JM has powerspell in that length?

It is the powerspell. The Powerspell blank is 6 feet. I did not cut the blank. Ad an 19 inch unibutt and sleeve the blank into the unibutt and you come out with 7 feet 4 inches of hopefully full power as the whole blank can be used when assembled in this manner.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
I do not know much about blank design but... Are they designed to have the bend start in a certain point of the blank? If so wouldn't lowering the "pressure point" of the blank drastically reduce the power?
Very sick looking rod by the way. I can't wait for the lift pictures!

·
SPONSOR
11,842 Posts
Nice job, Scott.
The full length of JM Power Spell blanks is 5'8" and you can use the full length of the blank or cut a few inches from butt section without losing any action of the blank as the blank is fully parabolic.
I have a customer who wants a custom rod with full lengh of 500g JM Power Spell blank. I'll post pictures of it when it is done.

·
663 Posts
Scott,

I thought Gres made you to stop using him like a dog to test your new rods! How long was he in the hospital last time??

Well, in any case, I'm looking forward to the rod bend test pictures!!!

DBG

·
88 Posts
Hey,

Sheesh, your thread work makes mine look like crap.

I think I get this, but does the rod come apart above the forward grip? Man, I hope this works well, because I like Uni-butts - I prefer something that can take a beating in a rod holder.

Good huntin' in Panama,

F

·
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frank, the rod comes apart just below the foregrip and breaks down to 6 feet. It should be very stout.

Glen, I took the close ups with the Canon D50 I just rented for the trip. The close up lens is the famous EOS 100 f2.8 macro. It is an awesome lens.

·
105 Posts
Scott, great job putting together a truly custom rod. Hopefullyyou putsome fish on it.

Fantastic work on teh rod, the guides & epoxy came out beuatiful. I like the off balanced triminteh guide wraps.

What is this your 4th rod?

·
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Billy!! It is my fourth rod build.

Tom, I am almost packed!! The Para-Bendo will be impressive if it happens!! I heard a 500 pound black marlin was caught today. Lets hope for great weather and bite. Temps in Panama City are going to be 95/75.

·
5,457 Posts
I like the tuna. How did you do that?

It's spring where you live! We still have stinking snow. :rolleyes:

Dan it's a sticker, you just epoxy over it.

d-a

1 - 20 of 28 Posts