My 2-piece 100lb popper build is done!

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Bellyups, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

It is finally ready and just in time!!:D . Too bad Grescobia is at work:mad: , otherwise, I would have a picture of a nice bend in the blank. It will be paired with a Stella 20000 FA, 100 pound braid, and throw OTI poppers with 5/0 Owner trebles.

Length 7 feet 4 inches

Aftco Unibut size one
    Jigging Master Powerspell 400 blank
    ICMNSGs 40-30-25-20-16-16-16
    MNST 16 top
    Threadmaster regular build epoxy finish
    Sorry about the blurry full rod shot. It is gloomy and I should of cranked the ISO up higher. I'll see if I can get a better full picture and post.

Scott

Attached Files:

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

nice job.
    i like the ICMNSG.
    hope to see some fishing pics soon.

i like that threadmaster finish also.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

is it power spell or just regular? I did not see JM has powerspell in that length?

4. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

is it power spell or just regular? I did not see JM has powerspell in that length?

It is the powerspell. The Powerspell blank is 6 feet. I did not cut the blank. Ad an 19 inch unibutt and sleeve the blank into the unibutt and you come out with 7 feet 4 inches of hopefully full power as the whole blank can be used when assembled in this manner.

5. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I do not know much about blank design but... Are they designed to have the bend start in a certain point of the blank? If so wouldn't lowering the "pressure point" of the blank drastically reduce the power?
    Very sick looking rod by the way. I can't wait for the lift pictures!

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Nice job, Scott.
    The full length of JM Power Spell blanks is 5'8" and you can use the full length of the blank or cut a few inches from butt section without losing any action of the blank as the blank is fully parabolic.
    I have a customer who wants a custom rod with full lengh of 500g JM Power Spell blank. I'll post pictures of it when it is done.

7. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Scott,

I thought Gres made you to stop using him like a dog to test your new rods! How long was he in the hospital last time??

Well, in any case, I'm looking forward to the rod bend test pictures!!!

DBG

8. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Very awesome, Scott. That might end up being the weapon that puts you into the 200 lb. tuna club. Good luck on your trip to Panama.

9. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Sheesh, your thread work makes mine look like crap.

I think I get this, but does the rod come apart above the forward grip? Man, I hope this works well, because I like Uni-butts - I prefer something that can take a beating in a rod holder.

Good huntin' in Panama,

F

10. gman

gman Senior Member

amazing looking rod, tight lines with her, what camera are you using took great closeups

11. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Frank, the rod comes apart just below the foregrip and breaks down to 6 feet. It should be very stout.

Glen, I took the close ups with the Canon D50 I just rented for the trip. The close up lens is the famous EOS 100 f2.8 macro. It is an awesome lens.

12. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Very nice Scott! Can't wait to hear how it does!

13. rhale

rhale Senior Member

That is some great looking thread and finish work. I really like the colors. Good luck on your trip.

14. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Scott, great job putting together a truly custom rod. Hopefullyyou putsome fish on it.

Fantastic work on teh rod, the guides & epoxy came out beuatiful. I like the off balanced triminteh guide wraps.

What is this your 4th rod?

15. tbuckshot

tbuckshot Guest

I want to see it go fully para-BENDO on a 200#+ YFT. Lets go get 'em.

16. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks Billy!! It is my fourth rod build.

Tom, I am almost packed!! The Para-Bendo will be impressive if it happens!! I heard a 500 pound black marlin was caught today. Lets hope for great weather and bite. Temps in Panama City are going to be 95/75.

17. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great job scott. the rod looks sick. and great idea the with the powerspell blank.

18. DanS

DanS Senior Member

I like the tuna. How did you do that?

It's spring where you live! We still have stinking snow. :rolleyes:

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I like the tuna. How did you do that?

It's spring where you live! We still have stinking snow. :rolleyes:

Dan it's a sticker, you just epoxy over it.

d-a

20. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Sweet looking rod, and great job on the thread work.