My 1st Tiger Wrap - 80# OTI Conventional

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by red34, Jan 13, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

7'6" 80# OTI Conventional - Trinidad 40N

Well it finally came and I can now get my build started. The plan is a much smaller split grip than the one I made on my spinning rod. I don’t see it being a huge issue on the spinning rod, but I wanted the grip on this one to be under my arm rather than the open spot.

[​IMG]

All the components arrived from Mud Hole. The reel seat and gimbal match the reel about as perfectly as I could have expected.

[​IMG]

Here is the handle assembly glued together waiting to cure and then for the final touches.

[​IMG]

The base wrap will be a tiger wrap done in flat black and metallic gold. I have not decided what to do for the under wraps or inside the split grip. I bought some Trimar thread in black and gold so that it kinda draws the look of the tiger wrap up, but doesn’t require such a thick coat of epoxy under the guides. Please feel free to interject opinions or pics that would be similar to what I’m doing. I’m sure that I’ll wrap and re-wrap this one a few times because I really want it to look good and all kinda mesh together.

Guides are Fuji MNSG going from 20 to 12 with a 12 tip. Reel seat and gimbal are American in Calcutta Gold.

More pics to come when I get going on the wraps.

2. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

3. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

That bottom grip looks pretty sweet! Is that a new reel also?Must show the finished product when done !!

4. red34

red34 Guest

New reel new everything. I will keep the pics coming as it progresses.

5. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

What kinda price did you get the reel for?

6. red34

red34 Guest

What kinda price did you get the reel for?

$320 on Ebay. I'm counting on this being my most versitile combo for jigging, poppers, and traveling.

7. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Yeah thats a good deal i was looking at them also.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

what is the length of the butt. looks longer than the stock OTI

9. red34

red34 Guest

what is the length of the butt. looks longer than the stock OTI

Butt - 34" but there's a little extra due to the gimbal

Top - 60" total or 56" not counting the insert section

10. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Very cool! Exellent job!
    If I may ask, what size ID grips are you using? Did you have to ream them? They look like Hypalon or am I mistaken?

Keep the pics coming! :)

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Butt - 34" but there's a little extra due to the gimbal

Top - 60" total or 56" not counting the insert section

sorry i meant from the reel seat to gimbal

12. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I use 1/2" ID hypalon on the 50# 7.5' blanks and 11/16" on the 80# blanks w/o any reaming.

Very cool! Exellent job!
    If I may ask, what size ID grips are you using? Did you have to ream them? They look like Hypalon or am I mistaken?

Keep the pics coming! :)

13. red34

red34 Guest

sorry i meant from the reel seat to gimbal

Top of seat to Gimbal - 24"
    Bottom of seat to Gimbal - 19"

It's probably 1/2 - 1" high because I measured for fit w/o the gimbal attached. It doesn't feel akward though. Just a rookie mistake.

I got the underwraps and trim bands done as well as the base of the tiger wrap. That is a pain in the butt by the way. I'm working in the stone age without a wrapping machine or thread tensioner so keeping the 2 colors seperate and even was a beating. I figure if it looks like crap I can always throw a marble finish over it.

14. red34

red34 Guest

I use 1/2" ID hypalon on the 50# 7.5' blanks and 11/16" on the 80# blanks w/o any reaming.

I highly recommend the 11/16" grips for the 80#. The 5/8" I bought fit, but were a BEATING to get on there.

1/2 is also what I used on the 50#

15. red34

red34 Guest

It's getting close to being finished! I still have to do the top layer of the tiger wrap and a few more coats of epoxy, but I couldn't wait to get some pics up.

Split Grip (It still needs to be epoxied. You can see the edge of the sticker)

[​IMG]

First 2 Guides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom layer of tiger wrap

[​IMG]

16. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

17. red34

red34 Guest

This was my 1st attempt at a Tiger Wrap. I was concerned with the looks until I got the final coat of epoxy over it and the design and visual effect finally happened. Anyway, here it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Looks good

I cut my first 6 tiger wraps off before I got a look I liked( still haven't finished it)

d-a

19. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Looks good Red.

Learning new thread technique can be a real PITA :)

I cut my first 6 tiger wraps off before I got a look I liked

20. red34

red34 Guest

thanks fellas. there were 3 or 4 spots where it didn't lay perfectly side by side on the base coat, but doing side by side with a metallic was a nightmare!! not to mention that i'm wrapping by hand so i have 1 hand rolling the rod and the other seperating the threads. that was enough right there to buy a power wrapper. anyway, the top with 2 regular threads went much quicker and easier.

my next rod has all blue and silver components and will have a tiger of metallic blue and silver under plain black.

i like marbling and tigers but i feel like i should only make 1 or 2 rods with each and then i have to learn a new wrap. i'm scared that i'll want to do a large weave at some point.