Mustad Big Gun Siwash?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by DEA, Feb 21, 2009.

1. DEA

DEA Member

Okay fellas local pro shop has NFK about these so I need some input.

Anyone play around with the Mustad Big Gun Siwash?

The hook is closed eyed so I don't need to close it and it's still oversized. Don't really know how well it'll work due to the slight curb of the point toward the shank rather than parallel like others. It also doesn't have the long shank style like a Gamakatsu or Owner, kinda borderline baithook shank.

The hook itself (at least from the Mustad catalog) doesn't have a really long pronounced shank like the VMC, Eagle Claw, Gamakatsu or Owner but it only comes in size 1 thru 6/0 in 2x fine wire (according to Mustad).

Been wanting experiment and change my Mustad 3551 trebles and go with a single hook on iron (1-6oz) and see what my hook ratio is for bottomfish. There isn't a whole lot up in NorCal that can straighten out a hook/point save a large shark or ray so I'm not too worried about the 2x fine wire.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

not familiar with those hooks but i say try them out and let us know how they work for you so we can get a little more info on them

3. DEA

DEA Member

Gonna try buddy, but need to place initial 10 pack order at the local pro shop before I can get them.

I haven't been able to find anyone online either....which makes me wonder...