Muskie and Pike lures for Tuna?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Wachtel, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

I've seen a few posts about the use of muskie/pike lures for tuna on this forum. Most specialized tuna lures seems almost impossible to find so these lures could be an economical alternative. So far I've seen mentioned:

- Hellhound
    - Rapala X-Rap Subwalk
    - Savage Gear Freestyler

Any more that could be a good choice?

2. reganp

reganp Junior member

The website I like is Thorne Brothers- google search should get it. I looked at the Hellhounds after seeing them mentioned on the Nomad sportfishing website from Australia. A very high quality outfit with top notch equipment and some innovative techniques- tackle and rigging ideas are on their website. These are not exclusive to tuna -their main tuna species are yellowfin and dogtooth and they land some huge doggies! I happened to catch 2 small yellowfin on one of their stickbaits at the same time. That was interesting!

3. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

i have some huge woodchoppers for peacock bass that look like they'd be good topwaters for tuna (haven't tried'em yet tho)...... there are other peakcock bass lure companies too

also got a big 6" jitterbug for night-time bass fishing i'd like to toss out there but am afraid they'd pull the hooks...

[​IMG]

4. reganp

reganp Junior member

The hooks on the jitterbug would pull out! They need to be wired through the body. The Hellhound lures are set up this way and have incredible side to side action. Like a high speed walking the dog!

5. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

They need to be wired through the body.

ya reckon......

6. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I have caught tuna on several muskie lures and a buzz bait . The buzz bait was made extra large by a friend who is a welder. I have always wanted to throw the big jitterbug It will get some strikes I am sure ,but as mentioned , the hooks would need to be wired thru the body of the lure.

7. blaasoppie

blaasoppie Senior Member

Many years ago Mirrolure made a large surface walker that was about 7" long and that would absolutely kill the tuna; no idea why they stopped making them.

Someone should talk to Mirrolure about making larger surface lures as their smaller ones are truly some of the best surface lures you can buy.

8. Nepptune

Nepptune Senior Member

Blaasoppie - I agree, absolutely loved those Top Dogs for inshore... In fact took my best Tarpon when living in Cayman, and estimate 130lb fish on a red head top dog on a little 7ft St.Croix, Calcutta 400 and 30lb braid... 2.5 hours worth of fun...

[​IMG]

** Apologies for the way I am holding the fish, probably didn't do her any favours and I've obviously since learnt to stay in the water with the big girls...**

Not sure if the Mirrolures wiring would hold up though.... anyone know if they are thru-wired?

I was in Stockholm a couple weeks back and at a tackle store in amongst the HUGE pike lures, found a MASSIVE Heddon Zara Spook... must have been at least 8" or 9" long... loved these lures, caught plenty of tarpon on them off the beaches in the smaller sizes, but thought the big guy would be a great topwater stickbait for pelagics.... Just dunno about the wiring...

9. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

Nepptune, was it Lundbergs?

I've tried the big spooks for pike and they are too fragile. A tuna would break it on strike!

10. Nepptune

Nepptune Senior Member

Hej Wachtel,

Lundbergs is in the Sodermalm right? Down from Zinkensdam T-Bana on Horngatan? I went past that one on my way to a dinner meeting, but never went in...

The one I always stop at is on the corner below St. Paulsgatan and Gotgatan, just across from Muggen I think...there is a green sign outside that says "Fiskarne" but I can never remember the rest....

There are a bunch of Photographers Agencies right on Gotgatan and just off it, so when I'm there visiting them, I always grab a couple coffees at Muggen ( the best in my opinion ) and stop off at the tackle store between meetings.... Never buy much, but always intersting to look :)

There is a light Berkley Hollo-Grip Skelator spinning rod in there though I've had my eye on for 2 years now!! :)

11. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

OK, I've been there too on my trips to the capital. Check out Lundbergs some time, it's a small old school shop crammed with lures!