Music,off the beaten path .

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by north coast, Oct 29, 2018.

1. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Although many try,I don’t think anyone will ever do afrobeat like Fela.
    Seems like I’ve been listening to his stuff since I was 12. Maybe I have :)

Kipi likes this.

2. north coast

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Kipi likes this.
  3. north coast

4. north coast

5. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

6. north coast

7. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member

Came across this band while me and my son were talking and didn’t realize I was pressing the “speak into button” on the remote. Never heard of them, (Centipede Instinct Band?) they have that Zappa jazz sound. It was a great find for me, what do you think?

Benny

8. north coast

I listened to it. Not bad I like some of it.
    And then,some of it feels kind of overdone.
    I was a huge Zappa fan back in his time (still am) the guy was a musical genius and way ahead of his time.
    There are definitely some Zappa influences here.
    I think Zappa did Loud and whacky much better though :)

9. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

Thanks Benny... I woke up far too early this morning and saw the post, so I gave it a listen. I, too, am a die hard Zappa fan. I enjoyed the intro (slightly reminiscent of Floyd's early stuff when Syd Barrett was still heavily invested) and quite a few bits deeper in that reminded me of Weather Report, but in general, I found this just too cacophonic. I've always loved Zappa's balance of melody with cacophony, the latter being able to knock you out of your comfort zone when stuff got boring. He was a master with that. But I also found that his later work was just too much. I remember buying the Yellow Shark album and being perplexed... Occasionally dusting it off and cranking it up to see if I could somehow find something cohesive in it that would transport me, but to this day, it's just beyond me. I think there's a good chance I'll never quite get the centipede either.

10. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member

There is no doubt that Zappa was much better than centipede and most others. But while listening I did hear some, however there will never be another Zappa. I remember when I first heard “Freak Out” It was 1969 and my first time hearing Zappa. From then on it was Zappa all day everyday. By 1969 he had had a fee of albums out. When I purchased “We’re only in it for the money” Wow! I looked at that cover over and over with a magnifying glass hoping to be the first to find something no one seen Lol I tried to keep up owning every album but it’s was impossible. I think I ended with about 50 or so albums. Then the CD craze and I started all over again.

Benny

north coast and Kipi like this.
  11. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

On a few forums, I have my address as "The Parish of St. Alfonso" :cool:

north coast likes this.
  12. north coast

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Kipi likes this.
  13. north coast

When musicians played instruments:)
    Damn I used to ( still do ) love this shit.
    I had everything they did on vinyl.

This is chuck leavell, pianist for the allman brothers (Jessica solo,also did a stint with The Rolling Stones.)
    You can hear the allman bros in him. I always thought his solo efforts were WAY under appreciated. So much great stuff. His style just Rocks!
    I saw them live in Boston in the late 70’s
    Brought the damn house down!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Kipi likes this.
  14. north coast

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  15. north coast

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Kipi likes this.
  16. north coast

Been watching this kid for some time now.
    The first stuff I saw of his, he was in a bedroom recording stuff with a bunch of friends, kids basically,I recognized the talent and I search his name now and then.
    Damn if he isn’t growing into something remarkable.
    He has also done a few things with another favorite artist of mine,Jacob Collier.
    Really liking his stuff and his style.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020