Music,off the beaten path .

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by north coast, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

Wow... That was weird... Everything about it :D

2. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

This was interesting... I don't know how long I could listen, but it's got beauty in it's simplicity. Not sure where he's from, but I suspect he's Sudanese. Oddly enough, a Sudanese friend sent me this a few days ago...

north coast likes this.
  3. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

Fantastic!!! I can't believe I had never come across them... They remind me a lot of Yes. Not in sound, but in structure and nuance. Thanks so much for this.

I shall have to post some of my Yes favs.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  4. north coast

north coast Senior Member

I agree,
    And probably mostly the reason I posted it. But there was something about it that worked for me.
    Not just the weirdness, something else. There was purpose in its creation and I guess I could somehow relate to it. I liked it.

5. north coast

Very, very fluent in yes :)
    Fragile was Probably up there in my top 3 most played vinyl albums,in it’s time.
    Simply mind blowing stuff back then.
    And although they became big, what they were doing at that time was way under appreciated,And poorly understood by the masses.

Wakeman was an absolute monster on the keyboards.(as was Howe on guitar)Much like Keith Emerson.
    So many great things were grown, musically, from that time in history.

Kipi likes this.
  6. north coast

I bought this album when it was first released. I have played it a zillion times. The keyboard work here still blows me away Today.
    Simply genius from where I’m sitting.

Check it from about 6:30 if the whole thing is not necessarily your thing.

Some of the kids making music today,screwing around with their myriad electronics devices( although there are some very creative things being done) would do well to pay some attention to some of the things created in this time period.
    There were some true musical geniuses that came from 70’s. Era.

Popfly and Kipi like this.
  7. vgb

vgb Active Member

You guys remember Leftfield?

Kipi likes this.
  8. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

My daughter sent me this last night... Delightfully expressive guitar...

north coast and vgb like this.
  9. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

Possibly their best album... I loved ELP but there was a weird sort of childish rivalry that we had going as kids... In the case of ELP, their rival band was King Crimson. I was a "died in the wool" KC fan, so I had to listen to ELP under cover :D

Same thing with Waterboys vs U2... I was with Mike Scott and his Waterboys. Besides Bono really used to piss me off as a sanctimonious prick (I'm not so judgemental in my old age tho)... Beatles/Stones... Definitely in Stones camp. But that was all just childish fun. They're all fantastic now (except that Bono is still a prick) :p

Popfly and north coast like this.
  10. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

Fragile was my first album... magnificent... As was Close to the Edge. I even bought a book on the artwork of Roger Dean. Such trippy art. When they released Tormato, I was very underwhelmed but over the years I've come to really like it. As South African prog rock heads... we were very proud when Trevor Rabin was taken in as a guitarist for the band. It was huge at the time, but I think, in retrospect, Yes kinda fell off my radar with a much more poppy sound on 90125.

north coast likes this.
  11. vgb

vgb Active Member

Yep, dude's incredible with the strings ...

12. north coast

I’ve seen/ heard a mess of his live stuff.
    Although I think the bucket thing is stupid, guy is a great guitarist. And he does some creative things.
    Lose the bucket and become a serious, respected player!

13. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

14. north coast

15. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

I'm sure we've heard him before on this inspirational thread, but just heard him and had to share...

16. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

And since I'm here, I was wondering why we haven't had anything from Derek Trucks...

north coast likes this.
  17. north coast

18. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

Got sent an EP of these guys today by the kid I'd hoped to have as a son-in-law... Fortunately we've stayed in touch... The kid has such great taste in music.

north coast likes this.