Mucho Puerco!!!!OINK OINK

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Well, My wife asked me to take my daughter camping this weekend. She had some girlfriends coming over after an Xmas party. So I gladly obliged. Left work a little early, loaded up, picked up my daughter and headed out to deer camp. Arrived just before dark and unloaded the truck and just mixed a stiff cocktail. Bob had put some corn in the road earlier and we all loaded up in his truck and went to way-lay the piggies. He has seen them coming in just at dark the past couple of days. My 3yr old, Jade did as she agreed and was very quiet and almost still. We didnt have to wait too long until the pack arrived. Jade saw them and was very excited. She knew what was coming and covered her ears as she watched the pigs in the road. I had my trusty
    Savage .243 Lever gun rested on Bobs side mirror. I saw this huge sow but she was in the back of the pack and wouldnt allow me a shot for about 5 minutes and it was getting dark quick. Finally she ran some other pigs off and gave me a shot. I poked her right in the left eye(by sheer luck) and she dropped in her tracks. The rest ran off. We went to survey our kill and were amazed at how fat this sow was. Jade ran around and hollered for a while with excitement. With Bobs bad shoulder and my sore back, we couldnt load her, so we tied a chain around a leg and dragged her back to camp. We went to hoist her in the tree and my 4wheeler could barely get her off the ground but we Got r done! Got her gutted and found that she was about to drop a DOZEN piglets...
    Saturday we loaded the 5 pigs that we had in the trap and sold 3 of them. He wouldnt buy anything under 80lbs. The big boar was 226lbs... The ones we kept were 65 and 68lb sows.. They, along with that fat sow will be turned into cured hams and sausage..
    Robert( the guy in the other pic) had some luck duck hunting and downed a few gadwalls. The Girls watched all of the processing and were very interested in all of the goings on. Each girl hooked a nice bass, but both got off. Had a great weekend! sorry for the long winded report.
    The pic is not that great.... but here it is.

Attached Files:

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Bret,
    Your raising that little girl to love the outdoors.
    Keep it up!

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

What County are you hunting? Glad to see the girls had a great time. Keep hammering those oink's and maybe the problem will go away.

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Archer County. Right where hwy 16 dead ends to 281.. about 45miles south of wichita falls.. I think they can reproduce faster than we can trap or shoot them, but we will keep on laying them down.

5. Pope

Pope Senior Member

You should have dressed the fetuses. Bet they would have been REAL tender!

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

You should have dressed the fetuses. Bet they would have been REAL tender!
    Dude, thats obscene....! I will leave that up to you..

7. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Always leave the obscene to me! That is how I roll...

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Speaking of fetuses. I felt really bad a few weeks ago when I shot an Axis doe. When gutting the doe I discovered a fetus that looked like it was about to be born. It made me feel about one inch tall. I took a picture of the fetus but won't post it because it is very sad and depressing.

The problem with Axis deer is the fact that they breed year round unlike the Whitetails. The Whitetails come into heat from Oct to Dec and newborn come in spring.

Killing a Whitetail doe you will never find a fetus. I saw four Axis does shot this year and every one of them had a fetus inside. After talking to guides and ranch owners, I found out that 85% of the time an Axis is harvested, it has a fetus inside.

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Dude, thats obscene....! I will leave that up to you..

Bret,
    He is not obscene with that idea. In Europe you pay some big money for that kind of meal. Working off my faulty memory a meal of unborn lamb in Paris was about $800 in the late 60's.

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I understand its a delicacy in some places, but there was no way I would bust open the sacks with the girls watching.... It wouldnt bother me too much, but we all agreed we wouldnt discuss the unborn babies in front of the kiddos... We certainly wouldnt want to do anything to make them have an unpleasant memory of hunting.

11. capitanmarcos

capitanmarcos Guest

Hey Bret,
    Sounds like Jade had fun. Won't be to long before you can bring her down here.

12. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

with all the pigs your killing the pork futures should be dropping by dollars not cents..... glad you and jade get to spend that quality time outdoors together....rick

13. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Sausage Biscuits are dropping from $2 for 2 to $1 for 2 at Rick's place!

14. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Packing up and heading to Yankee land.... ooops - I mean OK in a few to get me some sausage bisquits!!! hehe

15. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Hey Ronnie are you still mesmerized by the wedded bliss??? how was the wedding??

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I understand its a delicacy in some places, but there was no way I would bust open the sacks with the girls watching.... It wouldnt bother me too much, but we all agreed we wouldnt discuss the unborn babies in front of the kiddos... We certainly wouldnt want to do anything to make them have an unpleasant memory of hunting.

Good thinking! I owe you a beer.

17. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

both of us are in shell shock, and feel as if the wedding came and went in record time...lol. All the planning and preparations were done and over in a few hours.... almost disappointing. I think the reality of the situation will sink in on our 7 day cruise in January. Then again in Febuary, when its house buying/searching time...lol. Only stipulation with a house is I HAVE to have my own detached garage/barn for fishing stuff. I want an indoor area to store the boat, along with a large room for building lures and rods.

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Only stipulation with a house is I HAVE to have my own detached garage/barn for fishing stuff. I want an indoor area to store the boat, along with a large room for building lures and rods.

That comes with the second vacation house. Not the first, trust me. You're going to be lucky to get an underwear drawer in the first house.