360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

More then 12kg in 0.36mm

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  saqa 
#1 ·
G'day folks
I spent a few hours today in a friends tackle shop trying to find a really good braid that is between 0.33-0.36mm thick. My buddy, the shop owner was pretty keen as well so we have been testing a few different braids he had in this diameter. We tested by placinga bimini on the end of each line and then tying that off to the scales with a uni. Most packs are labeled 50lb and all break below 12kg on the single part

The best was PE5 sunline jigger 8ply but this was rated 80lb and this held 18kg just fine but is a bit thicker then what I want.

Questions
Has anyone got a higher reading from tuffline 50lb or JB 40lb in either hollow or solid?

Does breaking at the single and not at the knot mean thats all it can take?

What makes the 50lb that cannot take more that 12kg on the single a 50lb line?

My 4500 saltiga is screaming for line and I would like to put on the strongest 350 meters or so of line as I can get on it

See less See more
#4 ·
I use Saltiga Boat Braid PE4 (rated 55lbs) on my saltiga 4500. I have a Saltiga 4500H (JDM), Saltiga 4500 (USA), and a Saltiga Blast 4500. The Blast has 50lb tuf-line and the Saltiga 4500's have the boat braid. I can get 330 yards of PE4 on the Saltiga 4500's. In my obersvations, the PE4 boat braid breaks at 45lbs consistently, but I do a bimini to bimini test on a digital scale.

Hope this helps

WLB

#5 ·
I use Saltiga Boat Braid PE4 (rated 55lbs) on my saltiga 4500. I have a Saltiga 4500H (JDM), Saltiga 4500 (USA), and a Saltiga Blast 4500. The Blast has 50lb tuf-line and the Saltiga 4500's have the boat braid. I can get 330 yards of PE4 on the Saltiga 4500's. In my obersvations, the PE4 boat braid breaks at 45lbs consistently, but I do a bimini to bimini test on a digital scale.

Hope this helps

WLB

That actually is informative, whats your take on the tuffline?

#8 ·
What about as part of a fishing rig though mate, 12kg is all the usable power I can see from the various 40-50 lb braid that I have tried

10lb fireline pink is interesting. I can pull it upto 10kg on the scales before it breaks. The shop didnt have 20lb fireline but I am keen to see what it holds.

Testing machines and jigs are fine in the lab but in my eyes, if a line is rated 50lb, then it should have usable power close to that in a decent fishing rig and terminating the mainline is supposed to be a pretty decent way. When that is attached to a heavier leader like 80lb or more then the weakest link should be the single part of the mainline and 12kg usable from 50lb rated line is pretty bad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.