Moon phase for Tuna

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by Sleepymedic1, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Sleepymedic1

Sleepymedic1 Junior member

I have a trip booked in early August out of Louisiana and just checked and found it to be a full moon. Whats yall's opinion on fishing for tuna and such during a full moon? I have never been and just checking around to see what yall think. Thanks

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I know some people prefer to fish during the full moon phase. I preferred to fish before and after full moon. JMO

3. papio

papio Senior Member

The few times I fished for YFT on a full moon the catching was poor to slow. I refuse to ever fish for tuna on full moon phase and have great success catching fish not on a bright night.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I had some excelllent tuna fishing during full moon, but I encoutered so many slow tuna fishing during full moon. I try to avoid full moon if possible whether if I fish day or night.

5. txcards

txcards Senior Member

At Nancen thursday the moon was pretty bright although not completely full. Couldn't really get anything to bite including blackfin until the moon set around 4:30 am. The bite was on shortly after that. Coincidence?

6. Sleepymedic1

We will be doing a day trip. Does the moon affect the fishing less during the day?

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

ive always gone with no moon to little moon as ive been told the bait hang near light (ie floaters and rigs) and tuna follow where bait is. so when bait see underwater lights from boat tuna follow.

8. papio

papio Senior Member

During the day I noticed fishing is actually pretty good. It's during night time when I experienced slow catching. Good luck.

9. Sleepymedic1

Thanks. I am looking forward to going. Never neen to the Venice area and never had the chance to get on Yellowfin.

10. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Full moon has be a detriment to fishing other species. Perhaps my skill level decreases during full moon.....wait, we are talking fishing here right?

11. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

Anything more than a quarter-moon is bad at night .... it spreads the bait therefore spreading the fish feeding on top.

I want to be the only light source out there besides the floaters ....

Start your chum line and pull the bait closer, and the TUNA will follow