monster custom poppers

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

My friend made these monster poppers.
    They are huge, beautiful. He used the best wood you can get and his painting on the lure incredible.
    I am goinng to work with him to develop custom lures of the best quality.
    Each lure is one of a kind.

size comparision of Komodo, prototype monster popper and 186 mm Shibuki
    [​IMG]

size comparison of Heru Cubera 150 and the prototype popper
    [​IMG]

two different shape of monster poppers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

His other prototype lures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Those are nice Kil. Might I suggest that he switch to round welded rings, I found that the flat sided ones will cut your line at high drag settings.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Those are nice Kil. Might I suggest that he switch to round welded rings, I found that the flat sided ones will cut your line at high drag settings.
    Hi Jerry, I heard that flat ring could cut the line. Does anyone actually experience it ? It is hard to believe.

The flat rind is his idea, I am going to ask him round rings or strong barrel swivels instead.

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

The heavier the line the more likely you are to see breakage.

Tie one of each type onto a section of line and break.

If the ring is too small in cross section for the line you will see knots that break in the area of the loop going around the ring.

Good looking poppers there Kil. I would just use a split ring type connection there myself.

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Hi Jerry, I heard that flat ring could cut the line. Does anyone actually experience it ? It is hard to believe.

The flat rind is his idea, I am going to ask him round rings or strong barrel swivels instead.

Yes, I have at about 24 pounds of drag on more than one occasion.
    The barrel swivels sound real good to me.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

nice pops Kil , BTW I did not get that T-81 bar handle.
    I tried to get you a right one. JM sent a JM reel and some short shaft for custom handles on March 9, but I never got the shipment. :eek: I am afraid it got lost.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

in north carolina last year my dad has his line cut right where it attached to the flat ring. he was using 80lb fluorocarbon leader.

does he have any extras for us in panama?

8. jig

jig Senior Member

Not on poppers, but I was losing a lot of the williamson's jigs as compared to the others. Then I realized it had the flat ring. Switched it out and never had another problem with them. Go with round for sure, especially on such a nice lure.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Not on poppers, but I was losing a lot of the williamson's jigs as compared to the others. Then I realized it had the flat ring. Switched it out and never had another problem with them. Go with round for sure, especially on such a nice lure.
    I never tried the flat rings and it is good to know they give problems.

10. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

who makes round solid rings/where can i get them? the only solid rings I can find anywhere have the flat shape to them. :confused:

11. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

who makes round solid rings/where can i get them? the only solid rings I can find anywhere have the flat shape to them. :confused:

Angler's Pro Shop

12. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

13. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Angler's Pro Shop

I noticed the rings they sell are rated at 700LBS with in ID of 10mm. Seems way too big. Is there somethign smaller available? Similar in size to 150LB split rings? :confused:

14. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I noticed the rings they sell are rated at 700LBS with in ID of 10mm. Seems way too big. Is there somethign smaller available? Similar in size to 150LB split rings? :confused:

Always use oversized terminals when jigging, as you never know what you'll hook into. I have a bunch of the solid rings mentioned, they fit perfectly on 150g all the way to 400g jigs, so don't worry about the size. Buy them and try them out, they aren't expensive at all @ $4.45 for 15 rings.