Mono/Fluoro Question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Jun 9, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

The other day I went looking for a soft, low memory mono/fluoro. Basil at BHP Tackle recommended that I look at Soft Steel Ultra (a co-polymer), which I did, and ordered some.

The line arrived, it is very soft and nicely stretchy (what I was looking for), its diameter is small for the strength. Here's what I measured for 80# Soft Steel Ultra:

Specs:
    80# Test
    0.029" Diameter
    50 Yards: $11.49

Measured:
    Actual Breaking Strength: 88 lbs.
    4 Turn Uni Breaking Strength >73 lbs. (80% of Actual)
    Line Fit inside 60# Mono DaHo splicing Needle (and it looks/feels like 50# line)

Ande 50# Premium Monofilament is specified to be 0.028" in diameter.

So this line is only a little bigger than 50# Ande, similar to 60# Seaguar Premier, and has a knot strength that would suggest that it is a true 20%-over-rated 80# line. However, because the diameter is small like 50/60# line you give up some abrasion resistance.

So my question is this, if it were you, would you think of it as a very strong 50/60# line (because of its thinness and abrasion resistance) or would you think of this as a true 80# line because of its actual knotted breaking strength?

2. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

If it walks like a duck..... Sounds like a great find, would work out nice for chunking especially if the fish get leader shy....Always hate it when I have to drop all the way to 50# just to get bit, much more comfortable being able to drop the hammer on a fish and not worry about leader rating so much!

3. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Sounds like nice stuff! The softness / suppleness is huge for me because I like to tie, not crimp. Do they have a 100 pound test?

4. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Sounds like nice stuff! The softness / suppleness is huge for me because I like to tie, not crimp. Do they have a 100 pound test?

It looks like they have many different types of lines and strengths from 40-300#, including 100#.

I have heard that the line is made in Italy but the only information that I have seen on the web is at Soft Steel. I bought samples of 80# and 125# line and will probably also buy the 100#.

5. SteelingHeads

It looks like they have many different types of lines and strengths from 40-300#, including 100#.

I have heard that the line is made in Italy but the only information that I have seen on the web is at Soft Steel. I bought samples of 80# and 125# line and will probably also buy the 100#.

Awesome. Thanks Pamet. I will probably give it a go myself.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

only issue with supe soft leader line is abrasion

7. SteelingHeads

only issue with supe soft leader line is abrasion

Very true, but I am still looking for that one product that is a happy medium between supple and abrasion resistance. Best I have found as of yet is plain old Jinkai mono.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Do you normally use over 130lb fluoro though?

9. SteelingHeads

Do you normally use over 130lb fluoro though?

Personally I never use any mono / fluoro that heavy.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

with conventionals i prefer fluoro just about all the time, other than when i may lose a lot since its more $$. otherwise i dont see any disadvantages. tying a PR is fine, i've not had any slippage......knots are OK too.

casting with a spinner can be a pain with a lot of fluoro if you have a long leader......bc its still sometimes it can wrap itself around the rod on a cast. last couple trip i used a short 3-4' leader and got bites plus improved casting distance.

11. SteelingHeads

with conventionals i prefer fluoro just about all the time, other than when i may lose a lot since its more $$. otherwise i dont see any disadvantages. tying a Page Ranking is fine, i've not had any slippage......knots are OK too.

casting with a spinner can be a pain with a lot of fluoro if you have a long leader......bc its still sometimes it can wrap itself around the rod on a cast. last couple trip i used a short 3-4' leader and got bites plus improved casting distance.

Have you had problems with chaffing on the spectra above that short (3 - 4 foot) leader though? I have been using a 8 - 10 foot leader lately because I was having a chaffing problem on the spectra while fighting the fish.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

chaffing on the fish, or on something else?

13. SteelingHeads

chaffing on the fish, or on something else?

Yes, the fish's body or fins.

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

i use anywhere from 8-12 feet of leader. I'm starting to like 8 more than 12.

I've experimented with 6'. That length covers enough distance to safely handle the leader and not the braid when boatside.

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ive seen a bit of chaffing, but not terrible. the increase in casting distance is very convenient. im not 100% decided yet but have been pleased thus far. one issue is if/when your leader gets frayed youll need a new knot.

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Have you had problems with chaffing on the spectra above that short (3 - 4 foot) leader though? I have been using a 8 - 10 foot leader lately because I was having a chaffing problem on the spectra while fighting the fish.

I too use a short leader. My p-r knot is always outside the guides. I haven't had any problems with chaffing on fish or even large boats like the big E.

The softest mono leader I have used is the varivas, but for the money and availability nothing beats jinki and momoi.

d-a

17. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i havent noticed any chafing either. i use 4-5 ft leader and pr knot outside the guides.