Momoi HiCatch

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by SkeeterRonnie, Nov 30, 2007.

1. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i think I remember hearing that this line was pretty decent, and would hold up to its strength rating... actually above the rating.... :D

I will be making some windons for my chunk rig, but only want 60# mono to keep capacity at the maximum.

anyone have experience with MoMoi hicatch? does it have good abasion resistance, hold up to abuse (stretch)? How bad do you think the line will twist if I just tie the circle hook to the end of the windon? I guess I could add a swivel to the eye of the hook>? open up the eye and get a SPRO 260# power swivel in there... hmmm decisions..... :D

2. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

If it's good enough to go on Mark Sosin's Pfleugers, it's good enough for me!
    LoL!
    Seriously I've heard nothing but good things about it, but i'm still working thru the SeaGuar that i have already
    -B

3. gman

gman Senior Member

Hi-Catch is awesome, very soft in comparasin to Diamond-High Catch. I buy my windons from Basil at BHP Tackle and he turned me on to high catch for chunking. I absolutely love in and use it for my windons for tuna, shark etc

I would strongly suggest Hi catch. Curious do you use a floro leader or straight mono. There are alot of circles available with the swivel attached but i normally knot directly to line

4. SkeeterRonnie

i learned by use of a swivel with a flouro leader... tied to the main line.. I would prefer to take those 2 extra knots out of the loop and just tie the mono to the hook.. unless of course the tuna get PMS and only want FLouo.... then its back to square one.

thanks for the insight... I am just gonna get Basil to make me a couple 100 yarders... hes good folk and I dont mind paying him to do it for me.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

I live near Basil, I'm actually going to his house tomorrow to get some stuff

So explain to me from your main line what your chunking rig looks like. Up here in teh NE I always have to use Fluro.

I normally use braid tied directly to a swivel and a short fluro topshot or braid to fluro witha knot. I am concerned using braid to a short fluro topshot on the BIG E, I keep reading about people getting hung on the boats bottom so I was thinking of going Braid, mono topshot to swivel to fluro or just increasing the length of my fluro leader

What are your thoughts

6. SkeeterRonnie

the reel is loaded with 80# jb Hollow- there is enough left to add thw windon.... at the end of the 60#mono windo I have 2 choices...
    either the direct tie to circle hook (but I am afraid I will twist my line with the chunk spinning- although I do remember McGoofer saying to jerk the chunk off after each cycle... to keep the line twise to a minimum- it twists most when wound in)...
    second option is to put a swivel at the end of the mono windon, with a 6' flouo leader, then the circle... this is how I was taught.

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I use 50 to 80 flouro windons and direct tie to the hook.

8. SkeeterRonnie

how long are your flouro windons Jerry? i like that idea a little better.

9. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Use 80 pound floro first then go down to 60# cmon skeeter. Tuna have very good eyes and seem to favor floro unless you are willing to fish 40. I have heard at night it does make that much of a diff.

Also if you put the chunk on right when you start the retrieve it will fall of the hook, unless you are using whole pogies.

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

skeeterronnie: Just curious why you are going with a length of 100 yards for chunking (or did I understand you correctly?) Most folks I have talked to and my own admittedly limited experience has indicated that 25 feet of flouro is just fine. On the trips I have been on, 80 flouro was OK and I have heard 60 can be required for finicky tuna.

Russ

11. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Depending on the rig from about 25 feet to 50 yards.
    I've gotten by with 50# mono more than once and had to switch to flouro more than once.
    I just baught 1200 yards of 50# flouro to last me over the next six months.

12. gman

gman Senior Member

I never go over 25' and I think that is overkill, normally I would use a 10' fluro. I put OTI depthfinder line on all my reels except this one specifically for chunking. Im either going top have Basil spool it with 80 hollowcore with a mono wind on or JB solid 80 braid

My fear with the windons on a party boat is if we get cut off or tangled and teh JB hollowcore gets cut off I cant re-splice it. Normally on private boats Im only windons

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Wind-on's. 25' of fluro is more than enough when chunking for YF's. If you keep getting bit off, you can continue tying on hooks until you have about 10 feet left. At night, 4 to 5 feet will still work.

If chunking for blackfin during the day time, just tie your hook direct to mono line. They prefer a whole dead bait. Chum off a shrimp boat works best. If all else fails, take a ribbonfish and tie it in a big knot concealing the hook. Make it look like a baseball. It works.

Momoi Hi Catch is a fine line. You can't go wrong with it or Trilene Big Game. Both are excellent. They will both test out about 15% higher than rated.

If you want a higher test line and don't have a bunch of capacity on your reel, go with Momoi Diamond or Big Game Hi Test. They are a little harder, but will give you about 50% more strength than rated. I like both of them in the electric blue color if drifting or bottom fishing. For trolling, the High Vis is best. You can sure keep track of your lures with it. I'm not sure what's going on with Momoi and their Diamond line. I have three different places with orders, and all are back ordered.

I find most fluro's to be rather hard. I just got some of the Blackwater Fluro, and it is softer and has some stretch to it. One thing about Fluro, don't buy the cheap brands. It's junk. Your better off using clear mono. No broken knots. Older stuff also gets brittle.

14. gman

gman Senior Member

I have a huge spool of Diamond clear in 80lb it breaks at like 122lbs. I switched to high catch if you want it let me know

Is blackwaters really softer? I hate fluro becuase of how brittle it feels

Are most guys chunking with no weight or are they weighting with egg sinkers

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

No weight as a rule when chunking. Remember rules are made to be broken.

16. SkeeterRonnie

Russ:100 yds?... I took off a 100 yd windon.. so there capacity left for a replacement. I think I will go back with 60# Hicatch, and use a swivel and flouro leader if needed. i only need to be using 20-22# of drag on the rod anyways(but have the ability to bump to 30, if need be). thanks all!!!

17. gman

gman Senior Member

No weight as a rule when chunking. Remember rules are made to be broken.

Ive chunked plenty with weight to get it down to the fish in the past. Up here in the NE the currents can get rediculous and all the lines will end up on the top so you need to add weight to get the bait down or when the current is dead and sinking too much take foam and put it in the butterfish but you dont see butterfish down your way

18. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

gman your right it does get a little ridiculous up here i think i had to use 16oz to keep that damn thing down it might have been overkill but their was just no chunk bite well on tuna anyway we did end up with 4 keeper swords for the boat up to like 350 or 400 that one night as i am new to this what is a wind on and whats the purpose?

19. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

gman,
    Different location different methods. Here on the GOM we generally don't use weight or very little.

20. gman

gman Senior Member

gman,
    Different location different methods. Here on the GOM we generally don't use weight or very little.

Thats why I was asking, thank you for the response. I fish Texas alot atleast 6-10 times a year but Ive never gone on the BIG E. Just deciding on hollow core or solid on one of our reels