Mobile Rod Holder

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MrBill, Jun 7, 2008.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I've been invited to fish a spinning rod only tournament next weekend. The only problem is the boat is currently harbored in Port Mansfield because of the rough seas right now. The owner might just keep it there for the week.
    That means a road trip with a bunch of spinning gear.

I hate hauling fishing tackle as it gets banged around. I used to have a portable rod holder that I used for hauling gear from the house to the boat via a jeep scrambler. I kept the scrambler in a boat shed for a few years. The holder was bolted down on top of the wheel wells. I was telling my wife about the trip and she reminded me that there was a rod holder up in the attic. To my surprise, I found it. It's been hidden up there for over 15 years.

So, this morning I dug it out and cleaned it up. It has some battle scars on it but overall it is in very sound condition. All I have to do now is have a welder make me a stand so I can through bolt it to the bed on my truck for next weekend just in case I have to drive to Port Mansfield. It doesn't hold a whole bunch of rods, but nine should be perfect for a spinning only haul.

Attached Files:

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

After hosing it down outside and cleaning it up, I was anxious to see how some spinning gear would load up. It worked out well. All I have to do is install nine ring bolts so I can keep the rods from jumping around with bungee cords. I think it will work out just fine once I get it bolted onto the truck. Let's just hope the weather calms down a little bit for next week. If not, I'll have to haul a heavier portable rod holder back into the attic next week.:mad: Here's some Pics of it loaded up with spinning gear.

Attached Files:

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Is that enough spinners for one days fishing?

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Very nice MrBill

I love seeing a tackle ho's dedication to excellence. It gives me a woody!

I noticed the stock OTI rods do not include any means of using a harness. (Unlike the beautiful custom rods.)

I have taken a dog collar and wrapped around my reel foot and reel seat and clipped that into a harness...

5. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

what happened to the UMC?

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Snagged,
    I would hope it's enough spinners for one day. If weather is decent, it will be an overnight trip. I have a couple of more 20K's at the coast but don't want to drive to Port A and then to Port M. I'm providing spinners, jigs, poppers for myself and two other guys. For doing so, I am exempt for paying for fuel.:)

Deep Sea Gull,
    I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one that gets a woody when playing with tackle and collectibles.:D I'm certainly not a tackle ho. I've seen people with 10 times what I own. Just three weeks ago, I saw a guy that was just getting into fishing with 20 new ATD's. :eek: I fished with him one day. He loved a stock OTI 2-pc 80# rod I had on board. I gave it to him after he caught a big Jack with it on a swimbait. Smart move on my part as he picked the the fuel at the dock.:D

Mitchw123456,
    The UMC is supposed to be used on a boat. It has been modified and looks to damn good to be placed in the back of a truck. I'm not sure I could afford the fuel bill if I placed it in my truck for a long haul.:eek: It's gained some weight. It's an automatic hernia for one large person to lift off the ground. I don't want to show any pictures of it right now as Uncle Russ would have a conniption if he saw it.

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Snagged,
    I would hope it enough spinners for one day. If weather is decent, it will be an overnight trip. I have a couple of more 20K's at the coast but don't want to drive to Port A and then to Port M. I'm providing spinners, jigs, poppers for myself and two other guys. For doing so, I am exempt for paying for fuel.:)

Deep Sea Gull,
    I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one that gets a woody when playing with tackle and collectibles.:D I'm certainly not a tackle ho. I've seen people with 10 times what I own. Just three weeks ago, I saw a guy that was just getting into fishing with 20 new ATD's. :eek: I fished with him one day. He loved a stock OTI 2-pc 80# rod I had on board. I gave it to him after he caught a big Jack with it on a swimbait. Smart move on my part as he picked the the fuel at the dock.:D

Mitchw123456,
    The UMC is supposed to be used on a boat. It has been modified and looks to damn good to be placed in the back of a truck. I'm not sure I could afford the fuel bill if I placed it in my truck for a long haul.:eek: It's gained some weight. It's an automatic hernia for one large person to lift off the ground. I'd show some pictures of it but I don't want Uncle Russ to have a heart attack and die before his 76 hour trip. I want to keep him around as I enjoy his posts. I would rather keep him in suspense so he can't sleep at night thinking about the UMC.:D For UR, I even changed my avatar to the original UMC for further frustration.:)

8. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I know a tackle ho when I see one...

15 years that pretty setup has been in YOUR attic.

Don't let work interfer with your tourney ifna the weather is good. Catch 'em up on the coffee grinders!

9. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

"I trust metal rod holders with Gimble bolt"

The man's true to his word no doubt.

10. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

okay........ i can go as-high-as $325 for everything there in post #2

11. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I'll raise you $50 and call.

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

After spending my whole Sunday sorting tackle, I have discovered that I have a lot more reels than rods. I thought it was the other way around.:confused: I keep all my tackle inventory, guns, ammo, etc., on an excel spreadsheet. The problem is my data entry. I always enter new items, but seldom remove lost, broken,traded,given away or discarded items. A physical inventory proved my entries were way off. :mad: It finally came to me that I gave a bunch of rods away a few weeks ago. I thought I gave away the ones I wouldn't ever use. Guess not.

Therefore, a new rod holding device will be constructed as a holding tank for storage of rods that end up at my permanent residence. I will limit it to 50 and put myself on restriction if I ever exceed that amount. I'm also going the buy three of those big five foot tall stainless steel multi drawer tool boxes from either Sam's or Costco to keep all lures,lines,jigs,terminal tackle, etc.

I though I was really organized but after what I saw today, I'm not. Far from it. I was just wondering how do you guys store and inventory all your sporting goods stuff. I'm am now only allowed one bedroom.:mad:

13. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

If you haven't been to PM latley. The new Booze shop is the Y knot on the
    south side of the harbor.

Have a good time.

K2

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

If you haven't been to PM latley. The new Booze shop is the Y knot on the
    south side of the harbor.

Have a good time.

K2

What in the world makes you think I even drink?

I'll keep the "Y Knot" in my head just in case I decide to take up drinking.

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

What in the world makes you think I even drink?

I'll keep the "Y Knot" in my head just in case I decide to take up drinking.

I thought you used a funnel! :D

16. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Have a great time Mr. Bill.

Foor some reason I have visions of another UMC with a wooden top in the making.

17. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill: I know exactly what you are up to--knew it the minute I saw the picture of the damned thing under your name! Well, I've got news for you, my friend--I've forgotten all about the UMC--couldn't care less. All of my fascination with it has drifted away like the morning mist, and is now centered on my own creation--the POS Milk Crate--a far more practical and useful artifact. I have come to think of the UMC as a beautiful but frigid woman--exquisite in design and magnificent in execution--with a perfect figure and eyes that promise paradise on earth--a creature with a single lofty purpose--but rendered useless by her innate flaws--and thus, someone you never touch.

Now then, think of the POS Milk Crate as the girl next door--great looking though admittedly not a super model--freckles and a nose that turns up and a little to the side--average figure and twinkly eyes--a woman who could look across a crowded room filled with the most desirable men on the planet--and see only you--ready to do anything for you. And when the time comes to do that "everything"--a woman who will do it with the utmost in concentration, passion, and devotion.

So you see, MrBill: Gunsmoke created the UMC with about the same degree of commitment he would muster up for one of those topless dancers you guys talk about--and then he tossed her off without even making use of her. And for what? A few bottles of rotgut. Hell, I suspect the UMC never crosses his mind and the hooch was gone the first week. And look at yourself in the mirror, my friend: You accepted the man's cast-off, and even tried to change her--but when the chips were down and you needed something useful, you had to go up into the attic to find the girl next door that you had tossed away so many years before.

I will be the first to admit that the POS Milk Crate has it's imperfections. But other than hasty design, inadequate height, poor materials, and a drab appearance--it will serve and serve well. But at my age, and the way my back feels, I won't be able to carry her upstairs like Rhett Butler with Scarlet O'Hara. So any help will be appreciated in that regard. :eek:

By the way, I couldn't approve more of an all-spinning trip. Good luck.

Russ

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Uncle Russ,

The wooden one in this thread was made 18 years ago. It will only be used to haul rods from a truck to a boat. It's to short for my truck. It was originally made to fit a jeep scrambler. It worked great for the three years I had the scrambler.

I will modify it for this weeks haul. But, it will then probably find it's way back to the attic as I have a vision. I will probably have a full size mobile rod rack that is capable of hauling 20-40 rods. I'm excited about creating it.

I'm sure the POS milk crate will serve you well. Make sure it's bottom heavy or be able to strap it down. Those light weight crates are dangerous and fall over.The UMC is still the ultimate milkcrate. Is now and will be forever. You should see it. It belongs in an art gallery. The new mobile rod transport rack will be very nice.

The all spinning is really not a tournament, but a contest. It's me and three other guys on the same boat. It should be fun. I will use my Super Seekers 70H's for the trolling part. It's just four guys going out with spinning gear to catch what ever we can find. Trolling, casting, and bottom fishing. Winner is the guy with the most pounds of fish. To make it interesting, we will each put $250 in a pot. Winner take all. I just hope the weather settles down.

19. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

Hey Bill,
    I think you need a few more!!! :)

20. Mitchw123456

I'm sure the POS milk crate will serve you well. Make sure it's bottom heavy or be able to strap it down. Those light weight crates are dangerous and fall over.The UMC is still the ultimate milkcrate. Is now and will be forever. You should see it. It belongs in an art gallery. The new mobile rod transport rack will be very nice.

I'm begining to think this new UMC is some kind of conspiracy theory especially without pics :rolleyes:

21. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Mitch: Nope--it's the real deal. Do you think Uncle Russ could lie to you over the internet with a straight face? ;)

MrBill: I hear you about bottom heavy--that's where the side-rod holders and the lockable lid come in--gear will fit inside. I have about 70 pounds of bottom rigs and weights and about 30 pounds of jigs. Total tackle--minus rods and reels will be around 150 and with the weight of the box itself and 6-8 rigs, we are talking somewhere in the area of 300 pounds. The handles were copied from the UMC--one on each end. The chief flaw is that in order to control costs (something I suspect was not foremost in Gunsmoke's mind :) ) I had to eliminate the stainless rod holders with Gimbals. Thus the reels will have to be restrained--the spinners have slots but the big reels will whirl around like oxy-acetylene tanks with the valves broken off. So it won't be perfect, but should be OK for the first trip assuming we don't have 8-10 foot seas in July. Eventually, I will either use it for garage storage--or, if useful, I will upgrade the rod holders--they will still be side-mounts, but what the hell. The feet will not be as substantial as those on the UMC--rather I am using pieces of an old Ridge Rest sleeping pad attached with Contact Cement. But again--what the hell. The key is that the word "ultimate" has been replaced by "sh--".

As to the spinning trip, I am such a great fan of spinners that each time out, I threaten to take only those on board--but then I have caught so few big offshore fish that I always chicken out and take along the big honker rig and end up chunking all day and all night. Hopefully, I'll get past that. Spinners are just the right way to fish.

Russ

22. jig

jig Senior Member

I made a rod rack to hold my outfits in the bed of my truck. You know how they have the notches in the bed to hold a 2x6 or 2x8 piece of lumber? I just cut one to fit, and then bracketed a bunch of 1 1/2" pvc pipe to it. Total cost was around $20.

23. Mitchw123456

I made a rod rack to hold my outfits in the bed of my truck. You know how they have the notches in the bed to hold a 2x6 or 2x8 piece of lumber? I just cut one to fit, and then bracketed a bunch of 1 1/2" pvc pipe to it. Total cost was around $20.

Thats what I did also with a 1/4 bolt for the gimble pin. I'm sure you could find a piece of teak and some gold rod holders for those with a finer taste in life ;)

24. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I'm on a friends computer at the coast. Mobile rod holder worked great. Seas today sucked. Forecast was way off. Wind was at least 25 knots most of the night and early morning. 6'+ seas with no backs to them early this morning. One of those "White Water Mornings". Nothing in front of you but white caps. Could only go 11 knots. Lost a little bait reel to the drink sometime this morning as the sun was rising. Nice little Sustain 2500 bait rod with a sabiki attached for catching bait, somehow disappeared flying off one of the hundred airborn moments.:mad:

One of these days this year, I'll get to fish where I don't come off a boat feeling like I went 15 rounds with a prize fighter.:eek: I'm having one more cocktail before I hit the hay.:) I need to get back home for Father's Day stuff. Oh, I did win the pot.:) It didn't take much but my total weight was 37#s more than second place. One guy was feeding the fish all day long.:eek: