Milk Crate

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Brokejeep, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

"Milk Crate" - Does anyone have a picture of what this should look like?

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Brokejeep

The milk crate just need to have enough rod holders to hold all your rods. Most have pieces of pvc pipe that is bolted to the milk crate. Most have 4 holders, one in each corner but you can put as many as you need and you could have 2 or more milk crates.

I borrowed one for my Big E trip and It was made out of plywood and had 7 rod holders and places to put tackle trays in it. It was by far the nicest on the Boat, but the others worked just the same except for the POS milk crate.

There are others that are more elaborate like the Ultimate milk crate (UMC) just search for it if you want to see what a grand and 300lbs look like.

d-a

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Kind of like this one I stole off the internet.

[​IMG]

d-a

4. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Here's one I put together.
    [​IMG]

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Doug:post a picture of the one you brought on the last trip. That was excellent--as long as it was tied down.

6. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Here's one I put together.
    [​IMG]
    i like how you think, love your jigging setup what reel you got on it??

7. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

teamoso,

I've changed rods and reels around a little since I took that picture. My heavier jigging setups now are an Avet Hoo-X on a 600g 5' 6" OTI rod, and a Penn 113HN Baja Special on a 6' 5" Calstar 765ML. An Accurate 665 is in the plans down the road.

For lighter jigging I have a couple Avet MXL6.3's on Trevala TVC-58XH rods.

When I took that picture the Hoo-X was on one of the Trevala's. The one behind it is an MXL/Trevala.

All spooled with 80# braid.

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Doug:post a picture of the one you brought on the last trip. That was excellent--as long as it was tied down.

Russ,

I would, but already gave it back to its owner. I will talk to him Mid week and see if he will post a few pics of the "PMC" (practical milk crate).

d-a

9. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Here are a few pictures of my milkcrate. I put a piece of plywood in the bottom to keep small things from falling through. Also use really big tie wraps to hold the pvc in place. I've got a bigger milk crate that I'm working on, found a rectangular milk crate on the beach, just need to find a piece of light plywood for the bottom.

DBG

Attached Files:

10. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

So when you guys go on the big E, you have to bring a milk crate to store your rods?

How often to they tip over? I'm asking so I can be prepared when and if I can ever get a chance to go.

11. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Put your jigs in the bottom of the crate and a single bunge cord will hold them

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

So when you guys go on the big E, you have to bring a milk crate to store your rods?

How often to they tip over? I'm asking so I can be prepared when and if I can ever get a chance to go.

No its not necessary, but with all the tackle hoes that go you might / hell you will run out of available rod holders. Every one that has one either ties it or bungee cords it to the rail. It can double as a quick tackle holder too. Put all your weights, and heavy jigs in it and it will be fine.

d-a

13. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

First, some party boats minimize or avoid the need for milk crates/rocket launchers by providing for substantial first deck rod storage. See two examples below. However, many Texas party boats were designed with benches and overhangs which compromise first-deck rod storage. For these, there are milk crates and rocket launchers (on some tackle bags/boxes).

There are several strategies for avoiding tip-overs. One is to secure the crate to the boat w/cords; another is to carry 10-15 lb of sinkers, yoyo iron, heavy jigs or other heavy gear in the bottom of the milk crate.

Attached Files:

14. DeepBlueGulf

Say, one more thing I want to mention! Bring reel covers for your reels! Even on the top deck of the Big E, the salt spray can be a problem! The neoprene covers work great and usually cost less than $10.00 each. Pocket change considering what a quality reel costs!

DBG

15. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

Say, one more thing I want to mention! Bring reel covers for your reels! Even on the top deck of the Big E, the salt spray can be a problem! The neoprene covers work great and usually cost less than $10.00 each. Pocket change considering what a quality reel costs!

DBG

And until your pocket change builds up, plastic bags+rubber bands are kinda basic but work.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

not to get completely off topic but does everyone use reel seats on their jigging rods? i did once but do not anymore. I don't think they serve much of a purpose, and were annoying for me.

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

not to get completely off topic but does everyone use reel seats on their jigging rods? i did once but do not anymore. I don't think they serve much of a purpose, and were annoying for me.

Bret

I do with my larger accurate's, but the others I don't.

d-a

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

larger as in the ATD or the 665?

With chunking reels I still keep mine on.

19. DeepBlueGulf

Did you mean "reel clamp"?

DBG

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yes, brain fart haha