milk crate alternative

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by kidflex, Feb 26, 2009.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

in december, went fishing with some georgia boys and was put onto a nice milk crate alternative. doug(d-a) and jim(crazyjigs) had these tackle boxes with 4 rod holders on them and i thought that it was the perfect tackle box for overnight fighing, so i ordered one. altough the price is high it is well worth it. i was able to put a TON of tackle in the plano boxes, diamond jigs can be stored separate. has bulk storage, and extra space on the inside of the lid. the rod holders have a gimbal pin. heres the link.

SKB

i would suggest this to anyone who likes to go on overnighters. well built(this thing is solid), plus has lifetime warranty. definitely makes my life easier.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

in december, went fishing with some georgia boys and was put onto a nice milk crate alternative. doug(d-a) and jim(crazyjigs) had these tackle boxes with 4 rod holders on them and i thought that it was the perfect tackle box for overnight fighing, so i ordered one. altough the price is high it is well worth it. i was able to put a TON of tackle in the plano boxes, diamond jigs can be stored separate. has bulk storage, and extra space on the inside of the lid. the rod holders have a gimbal pin. heres the link.
    SKB
    i would suggest this to anyone who likes to so on overnighters. well built(this thing is solid), plus has lifetime warranty. definitely makes my life easier.

Fathom had one when I went on my first big E trip. I saw then where it was a needed Item for me.

d-a

3. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

can you guys take a better pic so i can see the rod holders? i really want one.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

here are some pics. my camera died before i could get a shot of the whole thing opened up, but these will give you a good idea.

the 4 plano boxes that come with it. hold enough hard baits for a long trip
    [​IMG]

i put an additional plano box in the large storage area for misc. items. also on the side is a place to hang 20 jigs. has a foam cover so the lures dont bounce out of it
    [​IMG]

the lid compartment is big enough to hold the nagamasa 400 gm jig. but there is a thin plastic barrier that might not hold up to alot of weight.
    [​IMG]

heres the pic of the rod holders. very convenient. these have a gimbal pin on bottom.
    [​IMG]

5. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

We need to fish together!!!! I won't even need to bring anything, but a jig or two. I'll just use all your stuff, since you have enough for 4 people :D :D :D

j/k Looks great Flex! Love the poppers and hopkins.

6. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

that is a must have. is that the bigger of the two? and is it water resistant?

7. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

9. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Those lures look like they are easy to sneak in prison or the movie theater!

Just kidding!

10. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

The only problem i discovered with jigs in a tackle box like that in utility trays is after a few uses the jigs bust the plastic on the sides and the jigs pop out. Then you have to buy new trays or tape up the old ones. I just throw my crap in a bucket now

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Brian, thanks for posting the pictures and the information. That seems to be a very nice option to the junk crate I own.

13. cajuntuna

cajuntuna Junior member

Bri,

I am starting to wonder about you. I know you like to spend money on fishing stuff, but when you start buying fishing lures the double for other stuff I am getting scared.
    Now I don't know if I want to go fishing with you in March.

14. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

LOL,

Mike, how's it hanging? I'm about to pick up this tackle box. I wanted to make it for the Venice trip but we have too much going on around that time and I can't get the time off.

I hope you guys catch a lot of Wahoo and Tuna.

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

that is a must have. is that the bigger of the two? and is it water resistant?

Andrew

That is the bigger of the 2. As far as water resistant, its all plastic and stainless. The lid interlocks with the front cover to keep water out.

d-a

16. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i wish i had a few more tackle boxes to store all my stuff. lol. i just keep the rest in a large bag(surplus items) and take what i think i need at the time. good to have a variety.

as far as the mysterious pink apparatus, you'll be wanting one after watching me pull monsters out of the deep with it.

i keep my jigs in my jig bags. the small plano box only has 2-4 oz casting jigs like smith metal forecast, braid marauders, hopkins, and bps sling jigs. i only put the nagas in the lid for show.

mike- i wont be bringing this to venice, just a regular tackle bag with a few items. but will accompany me on every overnighter from now on.

17. feeder

feeder Senior Member

as far as the mysterious pink apparatus, you'll be wanting one after watching me pull monsters out of the deep with it.

:eek: - I don't think we want to watch you pulling anything monsterous out of the deep. Sorry, couldn't resist the setup line man :D

Been looking at buying one of those. Do you think they're tough enough to ship for trips outside the US?

18. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

:rolleyes: Brian- please tel me you are not going to bring that lure to fouchon in may!?!? I am not sure but I think my wife may have that one, she never told me she like to fish???:rolleyes:

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

:eek: - I don't think we want to watch you pulling anything monsterous out of the deep. Sorry, couldn't resist the setup line man :D

Been looking at buying one of those. Do you think they're tough enough to ship for trips outside the US?

It will survive almost anything you put it thru. Might loose a few tentacles though

d-a

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The SKB case with the 4 rod holders is a great case. I've taken mine on many trips. I remove all the trays except the top one. I use it for hooks, swivels, rings, and other terminal tackle. That leaves me with a bunch of room to put roll up jigs bags in the lower section. The weight of the jigs keeps the box from moving. It's built very well. It's more waterproof than one would think. I've been surprised to not find a drop of water in it a few times on some rough days. Very good design. I've been happy with all the SKB products I've bought.

21. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

ive used skb cases for guitars and rack equipment and they are very durable. im glad they make stuff for fishing.

i paid 179 plus 29 for the rod holders, fred(gimmedeal) found them on amazon for 140 plus the price of rod holders and free shipping also. that is a very good price.