mid-knot question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by xs_tackle, Nov 28, 2006.

1. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

The pix I've seen of this knot lead me to believe it works on the same principle as the finger trap connection and must have been popularized before the use of hollow spectra. It seems the standard finger trap mono-to-spectra connection for hollow spectra would be both simpler to use and stronger (more grab, better grab)--but, that's only if you were using hollow spectra, which I realize may not be all that common in the GOM.

2. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Why would hollowcore be unusual in the GOM, I know dozens of folk who use it?

Anyway, on the midknot, it does work by compression similar to a mono splice into hollow spectra. I use this knot only on popping and jigging precisely because I don't use hollow spectra for these applications. Hollow spectra does not lay well on spinners and thus does not cast well off of them. Hollow is also significantly thicker than solid, so I don't use it for jigging since the line needs to be as thin as possible to avoid blowback. Even if hollow was used, I employ leaders for jigging and popping that would be too large to splice to the spectra.

The midknot is nearly as small as a served splice and maybe smaller if you serve w/ a sato crimp. It's also strong, nearly 100% when tied correctly. Finally, it casts w/o any issues AND allows me to avoid a bimini/albright which in my opinion is weaker than the midknot .

All that said, my bait rods all have either JB 60 or 130 hollow on them and a splice is used to connect the TS.

3. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

Sea Crappie,
    Thanks for the update on hollowcore, spinning and role of the mid-knot. I haven't used spinners for a decade and never used them offshore.

Jep