Melton Graphite "Twin Spin" Rods

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Cubano, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

Went today to Melton International in Anaheim, CA to look at the OTI popping spinning rods they have just brought in (after reading about how great these rods are I figured I better check them out). I was very impressed. I have recently bought a Phenix Black Diamond 7' spinning rod rated at up to 60 lb (super graphite blank made by Toray in Japan) which up until today I tought had very impresive backbone for being light weight, but that OTI seems like a monster. While I was ther talking to the guys in the shop about heavy spinning gear they showed me their Melton Graphite "Twin Spin" Rods. These rods are 6.5' and I believe they are built on Calstar blanks. The heaviest one was rated at up to 80 lb and it was a beast (felt even stronger than the OTI) while being fairly light. Does anybody here own or have used one of these? Looks like my fishing gear addiction is about to get worse.

Thanks

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i havent seen them yet
    but looked at the site
    looks like a nice rod
    but
    i just love it when they come out with a production rod that cost close to what we can do a better custom for..
    just my .02

3. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Pretty pricey for having alconite guides....

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Pretty pricey for having alconite guides....
    thats what i thought..and heavy with the hyplon grips
    great for me:D with that pricing

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Calster is very popular in the West Coast.
    It seems they choose strength over weight. Calstar is not heavy, but my Calstar 700H and 700XH are ther heaviest among my jigging rods.
    When you used to use stronger and durable tackles, it is very hard to break fixed idea and habit.
    I got new John Baker reels with fancy custom handles. The handle is very fancy and super strong, but it seems the handle alone weighes several oz easily.
    They have little idea why jig fishemen have to use tackles as light as possible as they never hold rods/reels for 10 hours or more.

6. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

Actaully it was not that heavy. Only a little heavier than the OTI. Weight wise the Phenix Black Diamond (rated up to 60 mono) that I bought is by far the lightest, but again it does not have as much backbone as the other 2.

7. Fullboar

Fullboar Guest

I think you will find that Toray makes Carbon Fibre not Blanks and if it was Phenix Rods you are talking about I think they are made in China using Toray Carbon Fibre from Japan.
    Most of the Blanks that are made in the USA use Carbon Fibre from Toray but that usually comes from the USA (Toray produces Carbon Fibre in the USA) but they are usually standard type modulus where Toray in Japan produces most of there high tech elastic type Carbon Fibre.

8. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

Not sure where the balnks are built, they mentioned that the fiber technology comes from Toray. The rod however is quite impressive considering the small diameter and light weight. It is about the diameter of the Shimano Trevalla F, but with much more backbone (again 7', rated for up to 60lb mono not braided). For the price ($289.99) it is a good deal considering it comes with Alps S9 SIIC guides. It is probably more of a 40# rod, but out here on the West Coast that is enough in most cases (other than the long range tuna trips in the fall and winter).

9. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

From the guys at Phenix...

"Hi Everybody,

I am pleased to see there is some discussion about Phenix rods again. We just came back from the Fred Hall show and it was a tremendous experience. The reception to our new product line for both freshwater and saltwater was great.

I wanted to clarify a few things about our rod materials, where they are made, etc. The raw material for our rod blanks comes from Toray. That was essential for us. We wanted our line to be made of only the highest quality material. It is a carbon fiber and graphite weave which makes our blanks both light and strong.

Our blanks are not made in Japan. They are not made in the US. They are MIC (Made in China). In fact, the reason why we chose our Chinese partner is the fact that they use Toray materials. Most rod manufacturers use Chinese graphite which we feel is an inferior product. As much as I would have loved our blanks to be made in Japan, it is not financially feasible for us to do so at the price point that we want to offer the consumer. I believe having our blanks made in China does not diminish the quality of the product. In fact our Chinese partner OEM's a lot of rods and blanks for very high quality, well-known manufacturers. "

10. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

From the guys at Phenix...

"Hi Everybody,

I am pleased to see there is some discussion about Phenix rods again. We just came back from the Fred Hall show and it was a tremendous experience. The reception to our new product line for both freshwater and saltwater was great.

I wanted to clarify a few things about our rod materials, where they are made, etc. The raw material for our rod blanks comes from Toray. That was essential for us. We wanted our line to be made of only the highest quality material. It is a carbon fiber and graphite weave which makes our blanks both light and strong.

Our blanks are not made in Japan. They are not made in the US. They are MIC (Made in China). In fact, the reason why we chose our Chinese partner is the fact that they use Toray materials. Most rod manufacturers use Chinese graphite which we feel is an inferior product. As much as I would have loved our blanks to be made in Japan, it is not financially feasible for us to do so at the price point that we want to offer the consumer. I believe having our blanks made in China does not diminish the quality of the product. In fact our Chinese partner OEM's a lot of rods and blanks for very high quality, well-known manufacturers. "

Even tough ideally you would want a product made in the US (that is why I bought my Lamiglas Tri-Flex), The guys at Phenix are probably correct in that as long as you use high quality materials and chose the right partener, the chinese can do a good job. From what I understand OTI rods are built in China, and from what everybody is saying, they are definately high quality.