may 9-10 alligator gar with kidflex and dave irving

Discussion in 'Freshwater fishing reports' started by kidflex, May 12, 2009.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

giant alligator gar has been on my mind for some time now. eversince i saw that infisherman episode a few years ago where doug stange landed 240 lber i was determined. so i set my sight on this species, not being greedy but just wanting a 100-150 lber. with 2 fairly unsuccesful trips last year my times sure to come...right?...well i hooked up with dave irving to try and get a biggun. we were in for 2 days of monster river fishing......well...

started off by picking up dave irving from the airport in houston and we got our affairs in order. it took a little while getting him a texas license, i guess they dont trust englishmen. by the time we finished there my buzz had worn off so we decided to donate money to the young ladies of texas scholarship program. getting in later than i wanted (had to convince dave to put the whiskey down) we had an early morning head of us.

woke up at 0400 with a major hangover to make the 1 and 1/2 hour ride to midway, tx. where we met the legendary alligator gar guide kirk kirkland. the trinity river was way up with a lot of debris and trash in it. we made a short run up river and started placing baits along the riverside. baits consided of carp and buffalo. if anyone is not familiar with the type of fishing we were doing, you can watch an episode of the next bite which shows in detail the bait, leaders, floats and bite alarm system he uses. high tech and simplicity at its best. after some time we had a major run, the alarm was going off and the float heading down stream. we ran across the river to get the rod. the trick to these fish is not to set the hook. you have to wait till hes done running with the bait and sit on the bottom to eat, once he turns around and heads back upstream u set the hook. well after 10 agonizing minutes of holding the rod and following the fish i set the hook! NOTHING but a chewed up bait. i was hearbroken to say the least. after a short time another rod goes off with the same result. shortly thereafter another alarm goes off. by this time we are not that excited from the other two teases. i set the hook and land this little guy. my smallest alligator gar ever
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dave is up next on the rod. another alarm sounds and he patiently waits for the fish to eat. once again the fish drops the bait.

during the day to pass time a couple of light rods were set out for catfish to entertain the mind. dave was persistent and caught a few different species(which were all firsts for him, although not big by any standard for these species but a 1st is a 1st). blue cat, channel cat, gaspergoo-freshwater drum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

even i got in on alittle action with this small flathead
    [​IMG]

we ended the first day and headed back for some much needed rest.

woke up in better condition for day 2. we were still hopefull for our century gar. we headed to a new location futher up river. after a 30 min river run we set baits out. just like day 1 we saw hundreds of very very large gar rolling and slapping the water. around the boat, the floats, up and down river, everywhere! like they were purposely teasing us. most of the day goes by without a single run. around 1500 we get a run. dave is up next to get his fish.
    [​IMG]
    after the fish turns up river he sets the hook and the short fight begins. a decent 35-40lber.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9206/dscf2097.jpg
    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9344/dscf2101.jpg
    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1249/dsc01068ps1.jpg
    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/783/dsc01048ps1.jpg

after dave makes love to this fish he releases it by dropping it head first into the water. the gar gets his head stuck in the mud. looked like a redfish tailing in the shallows. some seriouly funny chit there.

no more runs after that and we call it a day. although disappointed by not getting our monster we still had a good time. capt kirk is a very entertaining guide. im gald to have fished with you dave, we will get our 100 lber soon bro.
    i have 2 more gar trips scheduled this year, if i dont get one by then i am taking this species off my list!

2. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Ha Ha , too funny on the release. Dave takes his sports seriously! He will have a Guiness before the sun comes up!
    Great report ;)

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Three words for giant gar: Saint Charles Bay. But don't kill any of the gar or the gators--I'm hoping they will eat all the poodles from the developments they are putting in there.

4. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Great report,

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Three words for giant gar: Saint Charles Bay. But don't kill any of the gar or the gators--I'm hoping they will eat all the poodles from the developments they are putting in there.
    i might have to check that place out. i know that the trinity is hard to beat. we mustve seen 100 gar over 100lbs. as im looking at kirks log book, the group the day before our trip had a fish in the 170 class with a few smaller ones. im sure after we left someone got another monster. this has been the story in 3 trips now. pics and tag records dont lie. frustrating as hell but still determined and i dont really know why.

6. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Not sure where your located at, but the Red River is full of monster Gar as well. When summer rolls around and the water level drops they get in the deeper pools and are easy to locate. I've been trying to catch them on poppers for years now, and have only managed to land some smaller 4ft longnose. I have to admit my favorite part of gar fishing is catching the bait. We have 2 ranches that have creeks loaded with carp and the 12 gauage seems to be the best carp bait.
    Any DFW locals want to try popper fishing for them this summer ?

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

yeah im about an hour from lock and dam 5 on the red river, tons there too. only snag for them there so far. havent gone in a boat there yet.

8. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Hey Kid- Hope you are saving some mojo for the end of the month!!! Nice pics man.

9. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Hey Kid- Hope you are saving some mojo for the end of the month!!! Nice pics man.
    no mojo used up yet dewayne. for all of my bad luck recently, i am due for an amazing catch!!!!!! fourchon is just around the corner! cant wait.

10. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Just got my 400g powerspell from Kil last week, have a 20K Stella for it. Cant wait to give it a workout! Going for a test run 18th/19th just to get warmed up for the canyon trip!!!!!!

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Dave were talking about gar fishing when we fished together in Kodiak Island, AK and on the Big E out of Freeport,TX last Summer.
    I promised to go with him for sturgeon fishing in BC and alligator gar fishing in Texas, but I missed both trips.
    Dave, I didn't forget. I'll join you soon. :)

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil, dave told me he will come in july. i may be able to make it, you should come :)

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

kil, dave told me he will come in july. i may be able to make it, you should come :)
    Are you talking about yellowfin popping or gar fishing ? You and Dave should come to NJ for bluefin jigging in early July instead. :) I plan to go on the Big E soon, but I haven't decided when.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

lol - both :)

he said he may come back in mid july i think. i do want to go on the big E in early july if it still sails.

if it does not i will be up in NJ for bluefin. if it does sail.......ill come up for bluefin, just maybe a week or so later ;)

they getting any off of VA or DE right now?

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

they getting any off of VA or DE right now?
    They usually show up in mid - late June every year without exception.

16. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Are you talking about yellowfin popping or gar fishing ? You and Dave should come to NJ for bluefin jigging in early July instead. :) I plan to go on the Big E soon, but I haven't decided when.

Kil, bret, dave,

there is a 60hr. june 26th. with little moon. the next 60hr. is july 23 .

17. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Welcome to 360 tuna!!

18. Squished

Squished Senior Member

19. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Spam removed.

FYI -- It's a one and done for any spammers as I'm blocking their IP.

20. Squished

Squished Senior Member

FYI -- It's a one and done for any spammers as I'm blocking their IP.

That's how it is with most forums. I always like to make a poke at spammers though because the links they post are usually amusing. I edited my post at poking fun at this last one, and won't be poking fun at anymore on here.