May 6 17 Texas Floater Trip

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by bjd76, May 8, 2017.

1. bjd76

bjd76 Senior Member

After cancelling our trip at the last window due to increasing forecast winds at night, Luke, Joe (Astronut), and Roy (the Great PF) decided to give it a try this past weekend. Seas going out were picture perfect, 1s.

Stopped at a couple weed lines with 76 degree temps but nothing was home. I knew it was going to be crowded given the calm seas and as we approached the floater saw 7 vessels on it already… at 4:30. Called over about boats on the other rig and was told only 4 vessels there so changed course.

Totally different circumstances than our last trip. Not near as much surface activity but bait and fish marking on the sounder. They just weren’t eating… at least what we were offering: swim baits, poppers, and squid. Our first 3 fish were not notable – I caught 3 hard tails on the squid! Gave up on the squid and cut up a hard tail. Had a nice strike and fought maybe a 40# tuna to color when the circle hook pulled. A little frustrated – we’d been fishing hard for about 3 hours for that bite. About another 3-4 boats had arrived…

Just before dusk, we had a double hook up with Joe and Luke both boating their 25#, 40# yft. A little later I have a strike and fight a 40#er to the boat. Another a hour or so later and Luke gets a 50#er on his swimbait. Another couple of hours and Roy and I have a double hook up and a 30# and 40#er in the boat. Another couple of hours and I get a nice strike taking a good bit of line. Fight her to color and she takes another strong run. Back aching from all the casting we’ve done, I get her to the boat and Luke and Joe get a gaff in her, a 70-80# fish in the boat.

Closer to dawn, Luke and I have a double hook up and they were both frisky, crossing his line over my rod tip…by crossing over the rod instead of braid on braid saved us. I was able to duck under him, freeing the line and we both boated 40# fish.

Saw a good bit of yft busting 1000 yds away from the rig as we were heading home but couldn’t sneak up on them. Seas were sloppy and confused on the way in.

BTW, bft were not really active for us. We caught maybe 15 all night with all but 2 (chunk) released. Final tally was 8 yft. 25 – 40#, and final tally on boats was 13 during the night!. Going to final clean, steak, and give most of the tuna away now.

Tight lines…and please write your elected officials about this red snapper fiasco – we get 3 days to take our kids/grandkids fishing? Oh, I forgot, we can always pay the CFH $1200-$1500 and extend the season to 49 days. Not!

Attached Files:

Get'n Jiggy, Tran and Snaphappy like this.
  2. Astronut

Astronut Senior Member

Bruce...what can I say but another great trip with you and the Luker...as always we fished hard and long and had many laughs in between the "doldrums"..lol. What the hell, let's do it again!..lol!..Hey, did you hear from Roy?..I was kinda worried about him.

astro....

3. bjd76

bjd76 Senior Member

Roy texted that he got home safely

Astronut likes this.
  4. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

Good evening, Bruce, Joe and Luke. Yes, I arrived home around 5:30 PM. I stopped for coffee 3 times to stay awake. Upon arrival I took a hot shower, and I don't even remember crawling into bed. I want to sincerely say how much I enjoyed my adventure with you guys!! Each of you were so very kind and patient. First class gentlemen!! I would absolutely welcome a chance to share a boat with you guys anytime.

I got everything cleaned up, including the fish, and I made poke for dinner which I'm going to enjoy as soon as I finish this post.....

My house isn't big, but the welcome mat will always be out for you, and the next time you're in DFW, dinner's on me!

Thank you again for you graciousness and kindness.

PF

5. Astronut

Astronut Senior Member

Whoa...whoa...whoa...."kind..patient" and 1st class gentlemen?...what boat were you on??..LOL!!...Roy, it was great meeting ya and glad you made it home safely.

astro...

6. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

7. surfcowboy

surfcowboy Site Sponsor

8. surfcowboy

surfcowboy Site Sponsor

I wish we could get the size tuna you guys are getting into here.

9. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

Gents: hauled some tuna out of the freezer, and tonight we'll have poke and some grilled tuna with homemade Sangria

Astronut likes this.