May 2009 SWS Mag. forum member highlites

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by GanderVA, Apr 25, 2009.

1. GanderVA

GanderVA Senior Member

A few weeks back someone referred to an article in SWS about Kils tuna jigging recommendations. I having been looking for weeks for the article, and it just came in the mail today. I guess FL is a few weeks behind the NE. As previously noted it is Saltwater Sportsman May 2009 page 43. But also check out page 50 where forum member Jim Currin of Eastern Tackle gives some tips on jigging NC for African Pompano. Also, on page 50 is an article on Roosterfish. I found this one interesting because I have been "accummulating" some Roosterfish lure for a possible trip with TJ to Panama. It seems I have a dozen BPS lazer eye Pencil Poppers I picked up on sale for a couple $ each. The author gives the Mexico West C oast captains favorite lures as; OS Anglers Lazer eye, Yo-Zuri Surface Cruiser, and Robert Ranger.

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

What ounce size robert ranger lures do they suggest? Which colors reccomended?

Thanks!

3. jig

jig Senior Member

Gander, I just finished doing some destuction tests on the lazereye pencil popper today. The lure seems fine, but the split rings failed every time. I replaced them all with Spro 150# on the large model. Also, i thought the hooks too small and put a larger heavier hook, a VMC 4x 4/0. Need to put st66 3/0, maybe later.

On the small lazer pencil poppers, I put 90# rings and same hooks, but I may put the originals back on. The lure sits vertical in the water with the larger hooks. Hooks will fail before these rings. Again, should probably replace hooks too.

The original hooks are VMC, and they are okay, but I expect to have one bend out if I hook a large enough fish. They started to bend a little at about 60-65# of pressure, where I stopped pulling. I just can't bring myself to replace everything with St66 owners though. But I know I will regret it. I will fish 15# of drag when I fish these lures (18# maybe with larger model). Courtesy of advice from Mr. Bill.

If you go with stronger hooks (not a bad idea) like the owner st66, I would use 150 or higher split rings.

4. GanderVA

GanderVA Senior Member

Enoch--"Roberts Rangers come in 2- to 4-ounce sizes with red-and-silver, gray-and-white and blue-and-white the favored colors." Where I was shopping, the 4 oz R/W was sold out. jig--Thanks for the test results. I figured the split ring was the weak link, but didn't know how much larger to go on the split ring before the wire fails. I have a good number of VMC 6X 4/0 and a few Owner ST66 3/0 & 4/0 so I may do some pool testing.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I just purchased Saltwater Sportsman May 2009 magazine today and I found my opinion was mixed with Capt Gene Quigley's who wrote the article.
    I don't use 60 lbs line, but 80 lbs braided line for tuna jigging and Trevala rod is not my choice of tuna jigging rods.
    Within 6 weeks, I expect we are going to have great bluefin jigging in 100 - 150 lbs range bluefin out of Cape May.

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

And within 6 weeks your shop will be open ????:)

I am looking forward to getting JM products on-line from you.

regards

Kevin

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I just purchased Saltwater Sportsman May 2009 magazine today and I found my opinion was mixed with Capt Gene Quigley's who wrote the article.
    I don't use 60 lbs line, but 80 lbs braided line for tuna jigging and Trevala rod is not my choice of tuna jigging rods.
    Within 6 weeks, I expect we are going to have great bluefin jigging in 100 - 150 lbs range bluefin out of Cape May.

hope to get down there for that kil!
    if you happen to pass by wayne, nj..my uncle is soon to open a new sushi buffet called mikado i believe. be sure to check it out!

8. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

They have me running charter :rolleyes:

Those days are ooooooovvver!

I told Pete, I am never reading another article written about or regarding me again. Just didn't sit well and made me perspire a little.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Boy, I wonder what that French fishing magazine is going to say about me and Wacker.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I fished four days with those guys and Wacker fished six days with them.:eek: :eek: Both of us tend to be opinionated and hopefully won't be thrown under the bus in the article.:D

Alban, if you read this, take it easy on me. I'm just a poor ole boy from Texas who saved up for ten years to make this trip.:rolleyes: I'm a sensitive guy who didn't really mean to shock you .:) Please be gentle on both me and Wacker.

10. gman

gman Senior Member

hope to get down there for that kil!
    if you happen to pass by wayne, nj..my uncle is soon to open a new sushi buffet called mikado i believe. be sure to check it out!

Rich I live right near there I will stop by let me know when he opens

11. gman

gman Senior Member

generally in the magazine/print industry if you are being quoted or mentioned in the article it is in your best interest to ask to review before it goes to print. Most publications will give you a shot to fix any misquoted items

If you dont ask your screwed.

12. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Gander,

Thanks for the info. I have a shop up here that has about 25 pieces at 3 and 4 ounces.
    Prices are like 6.00 and 8.00 dollars.

Any Philly guys want to stock up let me know...

13. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Alban, if you read this, take it easy on me. I'm just a poor ole boy from Texas who saved up for ten years to make this trip.:rolleyes: I'm a sensitive guy who didn't really mean to shock you .:) Please be gentle on both me and Wacker.

.................Uh huh.;)

14. Tunahunter

Tunahunter Guest

Yes, when I read that statement about the Trevala rod, I started to scratch my head. I didn"t think kil was recommending it for the tuna!!