Maxel Spool 16000

Discussion in 'Reels' started by explorer, Apr 6, 2018.

1. explorer

explorer Member

So I got the Maxel 16000 for my 2008 StellaSW10000. It came with 3 washers (2 thin and 1 thick). The original have 2 Black Plastic washers. So my question is, do I remove the 2 Plastic ones and use these 3 that came with it? Any tool I need to remove this Black Plastic one? Cos I use my thumb and indexfinger didn’t seem to want to come out easy and I didn’t want to break anything (ask 1sto_O)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. explorer

explorer Member

Oh I also just read an old post about the line not lying even but that was a 2013 Stella..... hope this wouldn’t happen to this one.;)

3. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

The line lay has to do with proper shimming. I think there are different washers to be used for the 08 and the 13 and later Stella reels.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    explorer likes this.
  4. explorer

explorer Member

Ok 1st thing 1st as I have never open up a reel to clean ever and not mechanical inclined so I have no idea what's certain part of the reel are meant for....bear with me

The Maxel spool came with 3 Washers (2 Thin & 1 Thicker). So I 1st tried putting all 3 over the original (1 metal & 2 black plastic), spool don’t align with spooling. I then took all out and add Maxel’s washer one at a time to see which one have the best result.

Ended up I need all 3 Maxel’s washers but I can tell the top part of the spool is not filling up like the rest. Picture might not be as clear but it’s missing a slight tag. Not sure how’s that going to affect fishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only tried to spool up about 100 yards or so but will try to do a full spool when I get to Buddy’s Shop (that have a machine) so I don’t have to unwind by hand back to the plastic spool I store my line.;)

So my question: ~ is it ok to run a reel without the black plastic piece like what Shimano came with? I was thinking there must be a reason why Shimano use the 2 plastic (instead of metal) over the metal Washer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jiggingnut

jiggingnut Junior member

The top 2 washers are just spacers to adjust the spool up or down. The bottom is the stopper to prevent the spool from sliding down the shaft and has to be made from solid (but not brittle) material like metal. Because it also works with the drag knob when you crank it down to increase pressure. So to answer your question, yes it is OK to have all metal washers.

6. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

Metal washers are fine. Use them as needed to have the line lay evenly across the spool. If the top of the spool isn’t getting enough line to match bottom then the spool is riding to high. You should remove one washer. Add one washer if bottom of spool isn’t getting enough line. Just remember the first washer to be put on is a metal one, then you can use plastic or metal.

Benny

Kim likes this.
  7. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

The main shaft is machined flat on two opposite sides. This provides a specific point and means of stopping the shim washers and it prevents the washers from spinning around the main shaft. The spool slides onto the main shaft and is held in place by the drag knob which also increases/decreases drag by tightening or loosening. The drag assembly itself is "squeezed" between the drag knob and the washer stack on the main shaft, this is why a metal washer must be the bottom washer (a plastic washer could be pushed past the stop point created where the flat sides end). The drag is basically a slip clutch which allows the spool to spin on the main shaft as line is pulled off the spool and the amount of drag is controlled by how much the drag knob is tightened/loosened.

The worm gear moves the main shaft back and forth as the reel handle is turned and this moves the spool back and forth with it. The shim stack on the main shaft is how line lay onto the spool is adjusted. If line stacks at the front of the spool, adding a washer (maybe more than one washer) or installing thicker washers will compensate for that. If the line stacks up at the back of the spool, removing shims (or adding thinner ones) will compensate for that.

explorer likes this.
  8. explorer

explorer Member

I spooled with rod and reel (not machine) 300 yards of 55lbs on it just in case spooling just 100yards can’t really see the real result. Looks like using all 3 washers have the best result although the upper part of the spool seems not lay line like the rest of the spool. Just a slight little bit and have to really look close to notice....but I can live with that (don’t think it will affect fishing).

I will put some stress on it in May with BlackFish and see how it go!

[​IMG]