Max Drag

Discussion in 'Reels' started by HUNTER II, Jan 31, 2008.

1. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

Does any one know anything about the JX6.01:1. It looks like it might be a good jigging reel. I'd like a little higher strike drag so I'm wondering whether the max strike drag of 15 with freespool can be increased.

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

3. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

Thanks for the comeback. How is it done & what's the lont term impact on the reel. Have you fished with one. Any opinion on loading it with 60 braid & using it to jig up school bfts up to 150 lb.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

no experience on that reel - but I caught a 150lb bluefin with 50lb test and 18lbs of drag, so it can be done, it just took a while to slow it down on the initial run. What was funny about that trip is I caught a smaller tuna (only about 80) on 80lb test and a stronger rod...but got the big one on the smaller rod haha.

that being said - i'd prefer 25lbs....the fight took too long :)

5. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hunter II - also look through the "reel & repair" board to see if Alantani has posted anything about this reel.

If he did, you'll be able to see how to upgrade and replace/repair drag washers to either increase drag, or, replace washers should they wear out quicker than normal at those settings.

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Bret: Any idea how much 50 pound line did you had on that reel and how much he took off on the first run? I have wondered from time to time if I could handle a big YFT with my Stella 8,000 with about 250 yards of JB 50. Thanks.

Russ

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

It was a 6/0 Senator which claims to hold 475 of 50. It took me down to about 1/4 of the spool left.

8. alantani

alantani Senior Member

a 6/0 senator 114hl should be able to deliver 35#'s of drag. we're talking 100# spectra and an 80# topshot with a 30-40% drag setting. 30#'s of drag would be a good place to start. these types of drag settings a pretty much my physical limit. i'm 5'8", 165#'s and i push paper all day. if you're bigger and stronger, a 30# drag setting should be no problem.

hunter, regarding the avet jx and lx, you could probably reconfigure the bellevilles from "(())()" to "(((())" , "((()))" or "((((((" and increase your drag range. with these stiffer belleville configurations, the smallest turns of the preset knob will give you big jumps in drag. also, when you throw that lever forward, you are "on" immediately. there is now slow progression or gradual increased. you go from freespool to full on drag immediately.

the down side of the avet jx/lx is the limited drag range. once you pass 15#'s of drag, there is so much lateral/axial load or the right main side plate bearing that it starts to bind. what you notice is increasing resistance when you try to turn the handle. an equivalent sized accurate reel will deliver twice the drag range with no axial/lateral load issues. the reason is simple. the accurate has two drag washers instead of one, and it has two bearings on the right side instead of one. oh, and it is also twice the price.

9. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

the down side of the avet jx/lx is the limited drag range. once you pass 15#'s of drag, there is so much lateral/axial load or the right main side plate bearing that it starts to bind. what you notice is increasing resistance when you try to turn the handle.

Try one before buying! I've owned Avet's at several points in my life and the resistance that Alan speaks of is intense. I simply can't tolerate it but some people can. It's incredibly annoying.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Try one before buying! I've owned Avet's at several points in my life and the resistance that Alan speaks of is intense. I simply can't tolerate it but some people can. It's incredibly annoying.
    Mark, Alantani's technical explanation justify why I don't see high speed JX/LX reels among my fishing friends when fishing though most guys own at least one of them. :)

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I like my 30W a lot, and am thinking about getting another large 50-class Avet. The small ones I don't have a ton of use for though, unless I was purely trying to catch redfish and striped bass.

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

That's a good snapper reel (I've got one), I don't know about increaseing drag.

13. shanker

shanker Senior Member

That's a good snapper reel (I've got one), I don't know about increaseing drag.

a snapper rig jerry? Cmon now...the JX is MUCH more capable than that....

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I need to introduce you to a friend of mine. He would enjoy your comments.:) As for myself, I never have purchased an Avet so I will remain silent. :D

15. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

Once again thanks to all - does any one have any experience with the Shimano Tyrnos? I'm thinking about a single speed 20 as an alternate to the Avet. I know it's a little heavy (36 oz) but it recovers a lot of line per revolution (45"). These numbers line up pretty close to the STELLA 2000 (33 OZ / 41") that every one seems to like as a spinning option.

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

a snapper rig jerry? Cmon now...the JX is MUCH more capable than that....

You haven't and will not see me using it for Tuna. I think I've caught a few kings with mine as well as snapps.

17. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

the down side of the avet jx/lx is the limited drag range. once you pass 15#'s of drag, there is so much lateral/axial load or the right main side plate bearing that it starts to bind. what you notice is increasing resistance when you try to turn the handle. an equivalent sized accurate reel will deliver twice the drag range with no axial/lateral load issues. the reason is simple. the accurate has two drag washers instead of one, and it has two bearings on the right side instead of one. .

Mark, Alantani's technical explanation justify why I don't see high speed JX/LX reels among my fishing friends :)

You haven't and will not see me using it for Tuna. I think I've caught a few kings with mine as well as snapps.

As for myself, I never have purchased an Avet so I will remain silent. :D

I rest my case.:)