MAX Drag on van staal reels

Discussion in 'Reels' started by seahunter, Jan 12, 2009.

1. seahunter

seahunter Member

I have looked around on the web sites trying to find what’s the maximum drag pressure a van staal has..Main question applies to the 150 size reel

2. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Is about 12-14# max.
    You put too much pressure on VS-150, it will explode the anti-reverse bearing.
    Never happened on my VS-150 but saw that twice on my friend VS-150.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

thats terrible for a reel that expensive

4. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

thats terrible for a reel that expensive

I don't think Van Staal reels are necessarily intended to compete with the other top-tier reels. Additionally, how much drag do you really need to subdue a striped bass? -which is really the primary market for that reel anyhow.

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

guess your right. striped bass dont fight that hard. hahaha. 12-14 lbs is sufficient for most surf fish

6. Staven

Staven Senior Member

Thank goodness they are now made in china, I was worried that while they were made in the usa they would have no valid reason for being a POS. But now that they relocated they have one:eek:

I got rid of all three of mine. Always had some issue or other. Including drag, but they were sealed:rolleyes:

Now I am trying to stress out my accurates. I did hear that Accurate is thinking of making a Twinspin 8. That should put it more in the league of a VS 150 as far as size. Maybe wait for them to make that reel?

7. flyerphan13

flyerphan13 Junior member

Thank goodness they are now made in china, I was worried that while they were made in the usa they would have no valid reason for being a POS. But now that they relocated they have one:eek:

I got rid of all three of mine. Always had some issue or other. Including drag, but they were sealed:rolleyes:

Now I am trying to stress out my accurates. I did hear that Accurate is thinking of making a Twinspin 8. That should put it more in the league of a VS 150 as far as size. Maybe wait for them to make that reel?

I read on a different site that Penn will be releasing a International Spinning reel later this year, it is made in USA and is suppose to give Stella and Van Stall a run for there money. I may wait for that :)

8. seahunter

seahunter Member

Always had some issue or other. Including drag, but they were sealed

Why is that ..aren't you able to open it and get to the drag washers..????

9. Staven

Staven Senior Member

No I meant the reel is supposed to be sealed.

Drag issues... It was sticking on one reel from the beginning and had to be replaced. The other a 150 lost power after fighting some big bonito off the beach in sebastian, had to be sent back to be replaced. Just not impressed. I have 2 friends that have had mulitple issues with theirs. One has had to sent the same reel back four times. Each time the bail fails in a different way. It has not lasted on fishing trip yet.

For the price i am not impressed. imho

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I tested Zeebaas ZX 27 for tuna and fought a couple of bluefin in 100 - 130 lbs range with 25 lbs drag and landed them pretty easily. It has enough line capacity and enough drag, but I felt the ball bearing got crushed. I reported the problem to Rob and he said he would use stronger ball bearings in the future. I'll get my reel fixed with better ball bearing and will test the reel.