360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts
The head boat trips we do in the GOM, we don't really need a stella. The tuna run no bigger that about 70lbs. Very few bigger than that. Lately there ant been many YF's at all. Only small BF's. You can buy 3 or 4 Cabo 80's for the price of the stella. We don't have no offshore boat. I do have a stlla 8000. I think the 20000 is too heavy to sling all nite.

I just used 5 brand new cabo 80s for 4 days on a private boat, fishing for sails. After 5 or 6 fish we smoked 3 of the 5 drags, and 1 anti reverse. This was with 20 lb mono! :eek: These reels are not made for salt water. Maybe snook or yellowtailing, but tuna? SAVE YOUR MONEY. I have worked on private and charterboats for 16 years. I know good equipment. Buy a thunnus 12000 or a stella. It's worth the extra money. TW

I tested a Quantum Cabo for an international importer just after they came out.
Loaded it with 25lb power pro and had a hot bite on bass on an ebbing tide.
The reel performed very well,especially the drag which was very smooth indeed (I had burnt it in before I started).
The line lay was a little lumpy, which would have been better with 40/60lb in my opinion.
The anti-reverse was a real dream and well up the task, but I didn't like the loud clonk as the bail arm went over.

After returning the reel to the importer, it was sold to a guy in my fishing club (mmm?)
Within 6months he had the bail arm snap clean thro at the carrier end!

Just observations, you pays your money and makes your choice.

Why in the world do you people keep buying this junk. :confused: Did you know that scrape metal on average goes for .06 per pound. That means all these spinning reels that are designed to handle 10 pound fish are going to be in the junk pile. :eek: You better buy about one dozen just to get a penny from the scrap dealer.

This is like going to Walmart and buying the cheapest weedeater and using it to mow your yard. You might do your yard once or twice then you will have to discard the weedeater. Doesn't it make sense to buy a lawnmower?

Being a penny pincher does not pay off. Face the facts. It's expensive to design and build a spinning reel that can withstand constant drag pressure. Just save up and buy a decent one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its all about Budget...if you want to spend sub $300 on a reel, they are great reels. But I would strongly disagree with most of whats being said based on my personal use. I had 4 Quantum Cabo 60's. I thought and still do that the reel performed great. I used 2 of them with the other two sitting on a shelf

I know what quality is I buy all quality gear becuase I fish HARD, with that said the 2 Quantum Cabo's that I used my son and I killed tarpon to 100lbs, small yellowfins, blackfins, blacktip sharks etc. Most of the tarpon guides in the boca grande pass area of Florida use those reels in the 60 and 80 size

Gunsmoke is right in one respect, fish the gear appropriate for the cause. I wouldnt use those spinners for tuna just because of line capacity. Inshore species or blackfin that reel is more than enough and for $200 dollars is worth it

If you want to catch big fish all the time without troubles I would suggest Stella

I have a cabo 60 and now a 50. i love them. i use the 60 as my primary jigging reel. i catch snapper, grouper, cobia,jacks, and kings, all with not a single problem. I cant say anyting about tuna, but for the money there is no better.

So far my Cabo 80 has been put to work on GTs and landed a few to 35 pounds. No problems with the drag or bail arm. I had a problem with the continous anti reverse and stripped the reel down. The magnetic one way roller bearing has what looks like a brass coated metal cover. The metallic side was assembled facing up. I reveresed this to face down towards the roller bearing and this solved the problem. Also asked Quantum for a replacement part as the housing had cracked and this was mailed to me free. The could make the handle knob a little bigger though.

I have a Cabo 80 with about 300 yards of 65# braid and a topshot of 40# Momoi Diamond (which I think breaks at around 60#). This reel is mounted on a 7' Diawa Saltiga 50# spinning rod. I threw this setup on TBB08 for about 2 hours + but never got bit. One observation is that I was fishing next to Tom (Ragman) and with his Stella and OTI popping rod he was consistently hitting beyond me by 15 - 20 yards. I am determined to give this reel a workout Monday on my 48 with John on the Pelican. If it blows up on me (and it could) I'll get a Sustain like Tom S. did but I'll never have the bucks for a Stella.

I'm taking a Spheros 14000 with 65# braid and drag upgrades for a backup. We'll see. ....:rolleyes:

How long is your topshot? If it's more than about 10' then I would bet it is main reason for the reduced distance.

I have a Cabo 80 with about 300 yards of 65# braid and a topshot of 40# Momoi Diamond (which I think breaks at around 60#).... One observation is that I was fishing next to Tom (Ragman) and with his Stella and OTI popping rod he was consistently hitting beyond me by 15 - 20 yards.

Hey awesum!

Believe it or not, the rod I was using for topwater was a 5 1/2 ' spinjig prototype!

It was a 600g rod so I think that helped handle the heavier plug I was throwing.

Tom, I'm taking along a 500G 6' spin-jig rod I've had for some time now .... it's still a virgin. I may try tossing with it.

What I thought was funny on TBB08 is that you were winging way out there and then got bit right at the boat ....:cool:

How long is your topshot? If it's more than about 10' then I would bet it is main reason for the reduced distance.

I think my topshot is about 25' - 30' long .... but I'm not clear on why that would reduce my distance. Can you elaborate?

I didn't think my distance was all that bad but Tom was winging it a mile....:p

25FT top shot is too long for casting popper, you might want to try 2-3ft mono leader. Short leader means less frictions with rod guides and you will gain extra distance on your cast.

Spectra will pass through your rod guides much easier than heavy mono will. JMO

I'll never have the bucks for a Stella.

Never say never. If you really want something in life, set a goal and before you know it, it's yours. Positive thinking and a good work ethic will bring you what you desire. Good Luck. I see a Stella in your future.

There is only one problem with getting what you want. Once you get it, you will always want something else.

Fishing equipment is an endless thing. I told my attorney the other day, "I want to be buried with all my hunting and fishing gear". :) I don't want the next husband to get it.:)
His response: " You better buy some adjoining double stack plots!!!!":eek:

he must not know you very well. a few plots you need your own graveyard lol:eek: :D

25FT top shot is too long for casting popper, you might want to try 2-3ft mono leader. Short leader means less frictions with rod guides and you will gain extra distance on your cast.

Spectra will pass through your rod guides much easier than heavy mono will. JMO

TJ .... that makes sense but there's a reason for the long topshot. I am new to braided line. I first put braid on three different reels this summer and still haven't used them all that much. I put a longer topshot on there because I wanted mono around my finger when casting. I didn't want to have to buy gloves or tape up my fingers after hearing stories that braid can slice up your fingers. I still feel that way. Am I overreacting to braid? I had also heard that many cutoffs by braid occur near the boat and I didn't want to be slicing other fishermen's lines with my braid.

I plan to do a lot of throwing on this trip ......I plan on getting my Nemo wet. For now I'm going to leave the topshot as is to see if I can still reach the required spots for fish .... if I can't I'll cut it down to about 10' or so .... I still want mono on my finger ...:eek:

Discussion starter · #38 ·
It's interesting to see where this one has gone. I forgot I started it!
FWIW, I bought an -80. initial drag tests brought it to 45# on my cheapo scale. very smooth there, too, but realistically, I'm never gonna go past 25#
on this rig. put it on my 300g Dragonfly jigstick, & loaded the reel w/ OTI
65# colored PE, w/ a 20' 65#f/c leader. ended up getting right @ 300y on the spool.
Took it to Venice. jigged quite a bit, but biggest was a 15# YFT. not much of a test, but pulled really smooth a couple times set @ 17#.
Never got a good YFT on that rig. BUT. A friend of mine went on this trip
w/ a Pts-60 on the 7' OTI popper. Deckhand hooks up on a 70# YFT,
reel is set light, so you get the picture. turns down & stops that sucker!
w/ about 50y of braid left, he short-pumps it boatside in about 20 mins.:cool:
on a Cabo PTS-60 w/ 250y 65# pwr pro!:eek: drag was smooth even @ the
last long run. So I bought a PTS-70 for my popping rod & got 275y of 65#
on it & for the record, there's a 10' 60# mono leader w/ an allbright.
practice casts w/ a Tuna Hunter are going about 80-90 yards. I know I could get farther w/ a longer rod. I also think the only way to get the line off faster would be to make some small wind-ons.
-Brian

Hey Bobby!

I highly recommend a short leader so that your casting with only spectra.

Just a small piece of vet wrap on your index and middle finger to hold the line and you'll be amazed at how much easier, quieter, and farther the casts go.

Maybe just try casting for about 30-45 minutes on land somewhere to get a good idea of the difference.

The only downside to me on the shorter leader is having to retie after each fish due to scrapes or nicks in the leader, where as the 10-15 foot topshot allows you to catch more fish before retying.

Thanks Tom ....Vet Wrap ...I think that's the tape Tom S., Jerry S. and Chris recommended to me but I haven't found any yet. I haven't stopped by the vet. I was afraid if I went in and asked for that tape tuna fishermen wrapped their fingers with they'd think I was one clown short of a circus...:D

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.