Matagi reel seat kits?? where to find.

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by newton, Feb 28, 2009.

1. newton

newton Guest

merricktackle has some really cool handle kits by matagi listed on the webpage but they do not sell direct:mad: . are there any u.s distributors of japanese syle handle kits such as Matagi?

thanks
    newton

2. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Check out reelcolors.com they have some great stuff!

3. newton

newton Guest

oh no.I'm sorry. i should have been more specific. i mean a handle kits such as a reel seat, grips, winding checks and butt caps for heavy bass/inshore salt.

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

5. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

If you go to Johnny's Pond, (unfortunately you have little choice w/ Matagi other than finding someone overseas willing to ship to you) plan well ahead and order plenty.

My experience is they don't stock much basic rod building material, let alone specialized long lead-time items like Matagi. A recent order of straight Eva foam took 3 weeks to get here drop shipped straight from Merrick, and I didn't even get the most important items! (the only reason I ordered there at all)

I haven't ordered Matagi from them. But my guess is that lead-time will be ~3-6 weeks.

6. newton

newton Guest

eewwww3-6 weeks!?! yuck. i want it to arive in like a a week tops,

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Mudhole has some kits styled sim to Matagi for bass rods, but you prob already know that... That's the only option I know of that you can get quickly. Others on here know more than me though.

8. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Batson start making aluminum winding check and reel seat ring.
    And fuji colored reel seat Mudhole brand is from Matagi.

9. newton

newton Guest

seems like mudhole is the way to go for now. being as i don't have a tax i.d.

10. tailfisher

tailfisher Senior Member

mudhole is a excellent place to get supplies from and they usually ship next day. If you do a google search try (the rod room ) she has alot of supplies that are considerably cheaper in price than mudhole . It will really save you some change if you have a tax I.D.#.

11. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

If you guys need Matagi components, let me know. I just placed another order from Japan last night, I try to place 5 or 6 orders a season so that I'm always stocked on the JApanese components I need.

Merrick doesnt' have much stock in Matagi, Johnny's pond overall has very little stock, all he does is call Merrick when you place an order and it gets drop shipped. Donart doesnt' have much if any Matagi stuff in stock. If oyu see something you like you're going to have to wait regardless who you order it from. It's well worth the wait though.