Marlin in Pipeline

Discussion in 'Billfish' started by MrBill, Apr 5, 2010.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Don't ever under estimate the power of a marlin and the stiffness of that bill.
    This marlin got himself stuck in a flexible pipeline offshore. A rather expensive way to catch a marlin. Looks like the release was ineffective.:eek:

Attached Files:

2. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I remember this being posted on another site a while back. Turned out it's just a photoshop job by some enviro's...

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I remember this being posted on another site a while back. Turned out it's just a photoshop job by some enviro's...

If that's the case, I apologize for posting the pics. "Drill baby Drill".:D

4. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

it could happen....... but pic 1 has nothing to do with pic 2 & 3

in 2 & 3, notice the width and location of where the hose stripe is compared to pic# 1

5. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

A bale of natural rubber that had washed overboard from a ship and been floating for some considerable time was found in the Indian Ocean about 20 yrs ago with a dozen or so marlin bill ends stuck in the bale.
    Penetration was not massive & the bills were broken off.
    it was assumed that the marlin had been attempting to get prey aggregated around the bale of rubber & miscued. None of the bill pieces were of any great length.

Lots of myths have been spawned from that event.

6. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

will post the links happens on a regular basis off angola .

7. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

and how about more pics o'the giant isopod chupacabra that rode the ROV up from the depths! ;)

here's sumpin a little closer to home (for me anyway)

In November 2007 some two kilometers (1.2 miles) beneath the sea at the Perdido project in the Gulf of Mexico, the camera on an unmanned submarine captured a glimpse of a big-fin squid for the first time.

“It looked like one of the aliens from the movie Independence Day,” says Shell Survey Coordinator Patrick Desrouleaux when he first saw the images. “The creature did not seem spooked or alarmed in any way.”

The sub’s operators on the surface were recovering drilling equipment from the seabed when they saw the creature with its mass of bent tendrils and a large undulating fin hovering near the well.

Dr Michael Vecchione, the laboratory director of the National Marine Fisheries Service, identified the squid as belonging to the Magnapinnidae species.

“That such a substantial animal is common in the world’s ecosystem, and yet had not previously been captured or observed is an indication of how little is known about life in the deep ocean,” he says. “Every time we get a video observation like this one, it adds another piece to the puzzle. If we can determine exactly how big it is, that will be important information.” Judging from the footage, its eight arms and two tentacles were about 5-10 metres (16-33 feet) long.

At Shell’s Great White Discovery in the Perdido area in the Gulf of Mexico, a submarine encountered a Greenland sleeper shark 2,600 metres (8,530 feet) below the sea. This species was previously thought to live at ocean depths less than about 2,000 metres (6,562 feet). The footage, taken in October 2001, shows the shark as it slowly swims near a wellhead on the seabed before it disappears into the dark.

the vid - YouTube - Shell Perdido: deep-sea creatures

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

and how about more pics o'the giant isopod chupacabra that rode the ROV up from the depths! ;]

Here's a pic of that giant isopod. I call it a huge cockroach of the sea.

Attached Files:

9. fedu

fedu Senior Member

I don't know if the pics of the Marlin are fake or not, it seems they are from two different incidents.

Not that difficult to imagine, Dorado hang under the hose and Marlin while attacking them get stuck.

In the Kizomba Oil field, deep offshore, northern Angola near Congo Canyon it has allready happened 4 times.

The last one as a multi million dollar stop, it was reported officially by the oil company.

One of my friends that works over there sent me this message:

Dorado75 wrote: "i can confirm these pics, i work on the FPSO right next to them...... and it has happened twice since then, last time been 5 weeks ago and that shut down cost TOTAL US$ 6 Million!"

10. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

thats a lot of $$ per marlin steak !!