Marlin eats hooked Mahi Mahi

Discussion in 'Videos' started by MrBill, May 13, 2008.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This shows what can happen out in the water. This guys hooks about a 15 pound Mahi and is fighting it to the boat when a big blue marlin decides to eat it.

I'm not sure what their intentions are at the end of the video. That looks like a gaff in his hand, and it appears to me the line snapped. They jump up and down as if it was a good release. I would say the marlin won the battle. Anyway, it shows how a marlin can whip your butt. The guy looks inexperienced. That marlin gave him some serious sore muscles.

YouTube - Blue marlin Guatemala april 2008

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Now that was cool!! Thanks

3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I saw that video about a week ago. word to the wise:
    if you're tring to convince your 7 yr old daughter that it's
    safe in the ocean and sharks are not going to jump in the boat and eat her,
    DO NOT SHOW HER THIS VIDEO!
    I now have got at least 6 mre months of convincing!
    cool video, makes you wonder if you can pull a bait that's too big!
    -B

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I have had a blue inhale a 40 lb YFT...

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Big fish would rather eat a large dinner than a bunch of little snacks. I've seen a marlin hit a lure and when he came to the boat, he had a Yellowfin's tail (around 85#s) sticking out of his mouth. Big grouper and AJ's love huge baits. Don't be afraid to send down a 5-8# live or dead bait.

6. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Mr bill

How did the tourney go? Who won on the offshore division, drinking division, and poker division? Inquiring minds want to know.

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Hasn't happened yet. It's this weekend. I might go down Thursday evening as some are hopping on the Texas Treasure gambling ship for a warm up.

8. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I've read some stories of those 2grander hunters in the south seas
    using 60# YFT for bait, just kinda hard to get my mind around it.
    that is, until I saw that video. I gotta experience that just one time.
    -B

9. gman

gman Senior Member

When I fished PV two years ago targeting cow yellowfin we caught two smaller 30-40# yellowfin. The captain bridled the two tuna and sent them out on the long lines incase any Marlin were around as we were fishing the banks

We got a knockdown on the right long rigger and ended up with just a head, nothing there on teh drop back

Great trip ended up with several huge Yellowfin in the 150-200 class. Love that place

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Mr bill

How did the tourney go? Who won on the offshore division, drinking division, and poker division? Inquiring minds want to know.

How did the tourney go? I'm happy to say, I won the offshore division.:)

Drinking division: I probably placed in the top 15%.

Poker division: Didn't play. 52 entered, and it was still going on when I left the dock.

As usual, I broke some tackle. This time two reels. Well, the handles ended up in my hands. (Not my reels) I also lost a gaff and broke two coolers. I also was partly to blame for bending the column on a fighting chair.:eek: I didn't sleep but 6 hours in 3 days and can hardly focus on this computer screen. I never thought I would say this but: I can't wait to get back to work and a normal routine.

11. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Glad to hear you won the offshore division and the party!!! So spill the beans.... what did you catch???

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Couldn't find and good colored water. Extremely strong currents for jigging. I couldn't even reach the bottom (240') with a 420gram jig unless we used the boat to follow the jig in the current.

I didn't catch anything worth bragging about. Didn't make it out past Southern. Time restrictions and beer inventory turned out to be a big problem. I didn't realize one of the guys on board was a beer head. He put down a case before noon. My hardest fight was a huge Jack. (42 lbs) It also destroyed help me pretty much destroy a spinning reel. After I broke off the handle, I tried to use a pair of vice grips to use as a handle. Those also fell in the drink after a short period. The only choice I had was to set the rod down and hand line in about ten yards. I then wrapped the line around a cleat and tied the line to a nice setup.

Fishing was slow but our six fish was enough. Not many boats offshore. At the fuel dock, the two boats filling up next to us got skunked.