marking depth on lines for tuna jigging

Discussion in 'Kilsong's Jigging World' started by ksong, Oct 4, 2014.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

For tuna jigging, right tackle is important and sizes/colors of jigs are important. But the most important thing is to know right depth and fish at the right depth.

Color coded lines revolutionized tuna jigging by giving you right depth.
    I doubt anyone in the US have used the color coded line longer and more extensively than I have used for tuna jigging.

However, I found there are a few issues of using the lines.
    1. When fishing in darkness, the color coded lines are useless.
    2. When casting, it is hard to know right depth.
    3. Colors fade out after using one year.

[​IMG]

So I tried to find other way to overcome the issues.
    The best way I can find is to mark depth by wrapping other braid line using half hitch knot as you see in the picture. You can see it and you can feel it with your fingers. You can see it and you can feel it with your fingers.

I have one mark at 100 ft and two marks at 200 ft. As the prime zone for tuna is 80 ft - 200 ft. 100 ft mark and 200 ft mark is good enough.

I had bigeye at 100 ft mark on last Sat/Sun and had longfin at 110 ft on Thur/Fri trip.
    Though it was dark on both trips, I could manage to jig right depth using this method.

bigeye at 100 ft.
    [​IMG]

longfin at 110 ft
    [​IMG]

--------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

2. miami jiggy

miami jiggy Member

Do you use any glue to hold in place.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Yes. use of glue is recommended. But I found the knot doesn't move after wrapping 15 plus times.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

4. ikross

ikross Banned

I was taugh by timing your jig drop , @ 90 secons = + - 350ft with little to no current .

It works , adjust your desire depth by an easy mental math calculation.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

How about when you cast ?
    And how do you adjust when you crank/drop again and again ?

-------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

6. ikross

ikross Banned

I thought or had the impression you were referring to tuna jigging not tuna popping .
    When you drop your jig again , you count 90 seconds one more time ...not a brainer.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Casting is very important when current is strong on in windy condition to maintain your jig as vertical as possible.

--------------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

8. ikross

ikross Banned

Kilsong , you're not reading my post . I stated when little to no current .
    If current is ripping we all know how hard it's to place that jig at the desired depth vertically.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

ikross, I highly recommend to use color coded line for tuna jigging as you just want to drop jigs.
    Your catch will be doubled easily.

Your jigging setup should accommodate any kind of fishing condition.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

10. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

black or silver sharpie works just fine for marking line...

11. ikross

ikross Banned

In daylight ...

12. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

good idea kil, one set of knot per 100'
    i think i might do this [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]on a few spare reels.[/SIZE]while the N wind is blasting this weekend
    which glue do u recommend? thanks

13. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Good idea. Thnks.

Ikross, your idea has been used for ages. However, many times we dont always reel in all the way to the surface if the fish are suspended at a certain depth. To save time, you may only reel in to 50 ft and then drop down again. The count down method only works if you know for sure what depth you are at a particular moment.

14. etan

etan Senior Member

KIl, I like your technique but i don't understand the knot. Can you describe how you do it?

oldtrackster likes this.
  15. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I like the idea of having a tactile marker over coated line or markers. Counting down works but has its drawbacks in that as stated you don't always want to reel in to get started again.

The half hitch idea is a great approach. Guys been using that to add lights and weight to sword rigs so I know it's proven to hold without pressure. I'd skip the glue unless to protect the knot.

Perhaps an added tip would be to color braid such as yellow so that it's easier to see when there's some visible light such as deck lights or the moon.

16. porcha

porcha Broscientist

I'd rather just use color coded, if you break off any line you still have a reliable indicator of depths. Rarely am I fishing in absolute darkness

17. Irish Jigger

Irish Jigger Member

Great idea Kil, thank's for sharing.

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It is simple. I drop jig until I see the first knot and I know it is 100 ft deep.
    I usually change depth between 100 ft and 200 ft which is the prime depth for yft.until I get hit.
    When tuna are frequent in certain depth, I concentrate on the depth.

----------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You are good with color coded lines most of time. I used them for two decades and I had lots of tuna because of it.

The only issue I encountered with the line daytime is when I jig with Japanese style crank/drop. After drop/crank a few time, I lost the right depth because there are same colors.on the line.

--------------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

20. kilo

kilo Active Member

I have been wondering what depths were to optimum to jig for YFT, as well as the best way to mark the line.
    Thanks for answering two questions I had but did not ask.
    Always appreciate someone's time tried experience.

Kilo