March GOM

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by tdwcapt, Mar 27, 2009.

1. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Since I work offshore (running crewboats), my reports will be more or less an overview cuz there's too many days to report individually. So here it goes for March.

Worked several fields in the Vermillion 300 blocks and South Tim' 200 and one in the 70s block.

The AJs were going off out in the 300s. Even had them crashing hard tails on the surface! Talk about a show! I'd fire a jig and have several chase it right on top like crevalles! :eek: Caught several on jigs and on bait -no monsters but solid 30 pounders with a few bigger models lost in the rig. Blackfin and bonito were also thick at Vermillion 380. With only about an hour to fish on one run there, we boated 10 blackfins in quick time. No yellows or wahoo.

The snappers were thick everywhere - and had to be released! :mad: But it was common to hook a fish on every drop with the jig.

I'm excited about April since our boat just got a production job in close in the South Timbalier blocks in about 60' of water. Lots of rigs. Lots of fishing time. The cobias should be turning on soon! :D My April report will be up in about 6 weeks.

Peace!

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Pardon my old brain.
    Isn't the Timbalier block west of Grand Isle?

3. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Yep. The deepest rigs are past the 300 blocks. Generally speaking the further east you go, the closer the deep water is located. This is why I hate Texas. You gotta run forever to get to deep water. But you have 400' + very close to Southwest Pass (Venice).

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Wife bought a house in Orange Beach, Al that we can see the pass from. Twenty four miles to 600 feet of water.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Wife bought a house in Orange Beach, Al that we can see the pass from. Twenty four miles to 600 feet of water.

Jerry, how often are you there?

d-a

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Jerry, how often are you there?

d-a

We still need to do some painting and a couple of other things before we put furniture in it.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

We still need to do some painting and a couple of other things before we put furniture in it.

Let me know when your gonna be there. I'm planning on doing a lot of fishing in that area this summer.

d-a

8. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Let me know when your gonna be there. I'm planning on doing a lot of fishing in that area this summer.

d-a

OK