360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just recently found 360 tuna and I hope this will be my first of many posts here. My name is Conor, and I am primarily making baits for large saltwater species.

I am/was a benchtrained conservator-restorer, and I specialized in Map, Print and book restoration. Up until last year I was working in a professional bindery doing this kind of work. I grew up fishing and always dabbled here and there with making lures as a kid, so when I left my previous workplace roughly a year ago, I decided to pursue luremaking as more of a fulltime endeavor. Art has always played a major role in my life and it similarly will play a major role in my lures.

Vertebrate Wood Fin Fish Electric blue

Finger Fish Fishing Ray-finned fish Thumb

Hand Fish hook Finger Fish Fishing lure

Organism Marine biology Insect Art paint Feather

Hand Animal product Gesture Finger Natural material

These are my lure prototypes so far. I am still refining the patterns I am making and I plan to start making some more unique/flashy patterns soon.

The lure in the first two images is the Marble Petrel, it is designed after a butterfish which is an extremely important bait to match in the Northeast where I am from. This lure is 97mm and I am currently making it in 1.5 and 2.5 ounce weights. I am planning on making some in a bunker pattern also to try and match a slightly bigger peanut profile. this lure has a lazy S pattern on a straight retrieve, and flutters nicely on a freefall (I think this will be where it shines).

The lure in the blue mac pattern is the Marble Skimmer, it is designed to be an effective fast retrieve lure. I will admit I designed this lure primarily with albies in mind as the target species, that being said, this lure profile (in a different pattern) caught me quite a few stripers from shore this fall. This lure is 115mm and 1 ounce. This lure has a nice fluttering action that works best with some rod-tip down jigging.

The final and largest lure is the Marble shearwater, I wanted this lure to have a profile that could be applicable to several baitfish species, My primary focus with this lure was creating decent action across multiple parts of the water column. this lure is 185mm and I am making it in both 4 and 5 ounce weights. The shearwater can produce a subsurface WTD when fished at a moderate retrieve rate, when sped up it will dip slightly lower in the water and wobble tightly, and finally when the shearwater is allowed to sink with no retrieve, it will swim its way down through the water column nose first with a tight fluttering action (similar to the butterfish- I am hoping this will be its strong point).

All the lures have been constructed with full thruwiring using 316Lss in 1/16" and a high impact PU resin.

I would love to hear any thoughts, comments or advice that you all can provide me.
-Conor

·
Retired Member
5,261 Posts
Hi Conor and welcome to 360! Brings back memories of Merv from Strategic when he first started on here. You can look him up and see his quality of lures. You will do well if your patterns produce, are strong, the finish holds up and are priced accordingly. When you’re ready, maybe send a lure to a fishing member or two to try. Word of mouth from happy members goes a long way. Also, I’m not sure on the forum ruling. At one time you needed to be a sponsor to sell as a business.
Good Luck and welcome to 360!
Hope to see your baits on the water.

Benny

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

And thank you for your advice Benny, im hoping that come springtime I can get some lures into the hands of some fishing members so they could provide some feedback on what can be improved.

Conor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts