360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a really good trip to Marathon in the Keys. We fished with Capt Marty & his deckhand Jaime with Main Attraction Sportfishing. The boat was a 43' Torres, clean as a whistle, with 4 live bait wells. This boat easily accomodates six people.
We started out with a half day meatfishing for yellowtail & sierra mackeral. It wasn't wide open, but it was fun & plenty of fish were caught to feed us for a couple of nights. It was also 80 degrees compared to below freezing when we left home.:p
Day two Capt Marty wanted to go for sailfish. I had my doubts, but quickly found out these guys have it dialed in. This was run & gun sight fishing in shallow water. We ended up with 9 sails for the day, but must have had shots at 25-30. All fish were caught on spinning gear using Finor Offshore reels & either 20 or 30# line.
Day 3 was another morning of sailfishing, but the fish weren't as cooperative. Probably saw 25 sails, but wound up with one to the boat.
These guys have also spent a lot of time figuring out the daytime & nighttime swordfishery. Jaime used to be a commercial swordfisherman in the northeast.
I can't wait to make another trip to fish with these guys. It was a blast & I highly recommend them if you get down to the Keys.
Backlash Scott

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Hi Scott Ii fished with them a few years back.. My Capt was booked & it was blowing 30plus kts..So I jumped on with them..I had a great day with the Mahi in 6-10 seas...

This is the first december I'm not going in a long time I'm Keys sick...Cant wait to get back down & do some fishing...........

·
138 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'm going down to Key West in 10 days, so it's great to know the yellowtails and sails are biting. When you caught 9 sails, what were they eating? Goggle eyes? Pinfish? Thx!

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sailfish were only interested in live ballyhoo. We spent a good bit of time each morning catching ballyhoo.
I didn't try a stick bait or popper. I didn't carry any gear with me. This was shallow water fishing ( 40' ). You could give it a shot, but I believe you would have more success with lures in blue water.
Backlash Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts