Manufacturers of #400 Split Rings?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Grandpa21, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

Who makes them? The only one's I've seen are VARIVAS.

Or would you consider #400 overkill, and just stick with #250 OWNER?

When getting up into the #400's does anyone find they are to thick to move freely in in the eyelets of certain lures?

Thanks.

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I had been looking for the rings that wrap 3 times (can be found on the strike pro poppers) but after using them on other lures/jigs, they definitely restrict movement and sometimes get jammed in either the hook eye or the lure eye. I'd say 250 is plenty....if you can put 250lb of pressure on a lure, it is most likely that the hook will straighten out or the dang hook will rip the fish's face off.....the security of the heavy rings is in the torque/twist, especially with poppers etc with multiple hooks. I think the 220 and 250 lb ring are plenty.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

I only use 400 on huge poppers where you need the depth of the spit ring to get into the face. Varivas split rings are great 200 is norma for smaller lures

4. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

...if you can put 250lb of pressure on a lure, it is most likely that the hook will straighten out or the dang hook will rip the fish's face off....

haha...well put. Just wasn't sure since I had heard stories of some of the higher rated rings straightening.

Thanks guys

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I had been looking for the rings that wrap 3 times (can be found on the strike pro poppers) but after using them on other lures/jigs, they definitely restrict movement and sometimes get jammed in either the hook eye or the lure eye. I'd say 250 is plenty....if you can put 250lb of pressure on a lure, it is most likely that the hook will straighten out or the dang hook will rip the fish's face off.....the security of the heavy rings is in the torque/twist, especially with poppers etc with multiple hooks. I think the 220 and 250 lb ring are plenty.

Beleive in what you want,

Just Sayin.............:)

$12 poppers ......Ha Ha.....

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

The largest split ring I have on hand are Fisherman @ 300 and Varivas 400
    Along with many Cultiva Hyper wire in different lb's
    But Smith 100 lb ring is small tight and may over class it's rating.

Test are due , Maybe a new thread soon...:D
    Kev

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I prefer to use smaller split ring as long as it can hold.
    I don't see any advantage to use 400 lbs when 200 lbs works except bigger split ring is needed for bigger treble hook.

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

has anybody noticed that on smith and varivas split rings from 150-300lbs that after attaching to a st66 hook that the ring is spread apart. every one i put a hook on i see this. i stopped using them because of this and use the spro 250, it retains its shape every time

9. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Bigger is not better. I think??
    Lure movement, for one thing.

Any way a pull test on some rings will
    be done .
    Kev

10. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

I only use 400 on huge poppers where you need the depth of the spit ring to get into the face. Varivas split rings are great 200 is norma for smaller lures

gman!

what brand(s) of split ring have you had good success with in the 400# class rating?
    and, what are your sources for the 400# units. locally, i can only find stuff that looks (in spite of rating) to be chicken-snit.

slowly, but surely, i'm building my arsenal, and want to use only tried-and-true-tested gear.

many thanks!

butch