Making Bait for the GOM

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by chf1949, Oct 9, 2009.

1. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

There are many threads dealing with jigging & popping for the elusive YFT and the tackle & methods used but I have found nothing describing the method, tackle, process of "making bait".

Since I've never been on a charter, could someone explain what is involved? What gear is used, tackle, etc.

I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I make my first trip offshore.

Many thanks!

butch

2. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

Sabiki rig with 1oz weight for hardtails around rig legs. Schools of hardtails are usually seen on up current side of rigs. For bonita (for chunking) trolling small minnow baits around 1st color change just outside the passes works. A cast net can be used for mullet inside the marinas and schools of mullet can usually be seen on surface running out once you clear the passes.
    We rig either hardtails or mullet with a small zip tie cut on an angle and passed thru eye sockets with 9/0 circle hook of choice slip under the zip tie which has been pulled down tight. Add enough weight to get bait down to marked fish and "bump troll" 75 to 150 yds off of rigs

3. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

we have thrown crushed sardines over while tied to
    a rig to pull the cigar minnows in, while they're feeding
    a friend at the bow throws a castnet, we get 15-20
    per throw. I continue to crush and throw sardines,
    he throws net ... we catch a bunch this way.
    If you want baby mullet and piggy perch or chubs,
    just throw your net at any boat docks

4. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

this past summer to consistently catch yft you needed theadfin herring. they were anywhere from just outside the passes out to 1500ft. they are usually in tight schools on top of the water and can be caught on small sabikis or in a good, heavy cast net. as far as hardtails go getting the right size is key. in the summer most hardtails around the rigs are too big for tuna but in the fall the are much smaller around the deeper rigs. the annual mullet migration is about to start and they can be caught in a big, heavy castnet(mullet net) in the river and passes. you don't want the little ones but the 2-5lbers that are spawning. the rocks on the south side of the jump and the pilings at head of passes are a couple of good spots.

5. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

Check the regulations about when big mullet can be kept.

6. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

Check the regulations about when big mullet can be kept.
    any mullet can be caught and kept by recreational fisherman at any time.

7. galveston1602

galveston1602 Senior Member

any mullet can be caught and kept by recreational fisherman at any time.

Actually, in TX we're not allowed to posses mullet over 12 inches from Oct-Jan -> pre frozen, alive, dead, or otherwise

8. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

Actually, in TX we're not allowed to posses mullet over 12 inches from Oct-Jan -> pre frozen, alive, dead, or otherwise
    I appologize for generalizing. the OP is from Metarie and I was talking about Louisiana. we don't have any such restrictions over here.

9. galveston1602

I appologize for generalizing. the OP is from Metarie and I was talking about Louisiana. we don't have any such restrictions over here.

Ive always thought it was weird that we have these regulations, I always laugh at them, as I really dont understand the need...

10. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Thanks guys for the info. Appreciate the explanations. Man, sounds like a possible death sentence if caught in Texas with a mullet. We used to fish them by the bunch here. We get tons of them just fishing off a pier or anywhere near rock jetties.

A hypothetical.... what would happen if a crazy cajun (my bro-in-law) from louisana had some in his cooler and was just passing thru Texas? Ya think they would believe he was transporting them with the idea of helping restock Texas waters? LOL

11. galveston1602

Id bet theyd throw you in jail for at least a week, probably the same thing theyd do if they catch you gigging flounder in november!