Maintenance-Worst fears realized (well, almost)

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by jig, Jun 29, 2009.

1. jig

jig Senior Member

As Alan Tani has so wisely taught us, I was tearing down a 'new to me' gently used aluminum framed reel I bought recently to perform all the lubing and greasing (esp. the screw holes) he recommends. I came to one of the side plate screws, and it wouldn't budge. So I put a little more pressure on it, and it finally gave way. Oh shit, did it give way! I sheared off the head. The reel was in great condition, but some salt water apparently seeped in around one harness lug and was undetectable unless you removed the side plate AND the lug (which is attached with more screws). I was doing this at 2am, was tired, and now pissed as hell.

Fortunately, there's a happy ending. After I got the side plate and lug off, there was just enough of the remaining screw projecting from the frame that I was able to get a small vise grip on it. After soaking in corrosion x, and a lot of mumbled promises to the man upstairs, I got it out fine. I called manufacturer today and they are sending me a new one, free.

Moral of the story, it is well worth the time and effort to break down your reels to the very last screw and do some preventive maintenance, including brand new reels. Even if the reel looks completely clean, inside and out, it only takes one screw failure to ruin your day.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I don't recommend you break down a new Stella or Saltiga to do preventative maintenance unless you're extremely capable or you might end up having to send back a pile of parts back to Shimano, lol! :D

3. jig

jig Senior Member

Fair enough, but unless you are 100% confident Shimano did quality control on greasing everything, I would send it to someone I trusted to do it for me. If you haven't had that happen before (shearing off a screw), it is an unbelievably sick feeling.

4. Grifft

Grifft Senior Member

Fair enough, but unless you are 100% confident Shimano did quality control on greasing everything, I would send it to someone I trusted to do it for me. If you haven't had that happen before (shearing off a screw), it is an unbelievably sick feeling.

Been there...Done that on a used 12T I was upgrading. Had to take it to a machinist who fished to have him drill it out and re-tap the holes. :eek:

Tom

5. alantani

alantani Senior Member

trust no one but yourself.

on a recent fishing trip, i returned home with the boat in tow and noticed that the tire on the driver's side front axle was crooked. when i pulled it off the next day, i found that the inner bearing was destroyed and the inside race was literally welded to the axle spindle. i chiseled off some, ground off most, and then a friend came by to finish off the work. he's a machinist and heavy duty diesel mechanic. he spend three hours shaping the spindle by hand. when he was done, you could not tell the difference between that spindle and the other three. i figure he saved me about a thousand dollars.

so what i think happened is this. i think that the guy that assembled the front axle of my boat trailer failed to pack the bearings with grease. because i continued to fill the bearing buddies, the outer bearing was ok. it was the inside bearing that failed. i believe this to be the case because the inner bearing of the front axle on the passenger side was about to give out, and it was NOT packed with grease.

so the bottom line is, if it's a critical system, you have to check it yourself, or be damned sure that you can get back to the guy that does the original work. alan