360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Guys,

Back to Mahajunga for the past two days, fishing was not that great, but still had good fun jigging.

I challenge anyone to the first fish on a jig this year; caught this Horse-eye Trevally at 04h30 on 01-01-10; anyone caught one before that time?

Jigging started off very slow on Friday and I decided to go east to a deep spot that rises very quickly and found the fish late afternoon in 45m of water in the current line.

Caught a really good size King Mackerel that ripped line off like a steam train and lost 5 very big fish that totally dominated me on my light Blue Rose S535R.

Every time I would drop the heavy rod I would not get hit, but as soon as I dropped the light rod down I would get smashed. The best jig for the day was a 200g Shout Stay Sardine which I no longer own and I have now lost my entire collection of Shout jigs, 200g Benthos jigs and 200 g Duel jigs!

King Mcdaddy…

Juvenile Yellow Spot Trevally…

Grouper…

Rosy Job Fish..

Blue Noodle bent; the way I like it..

Matahari, these little buggers are really aggressive; caught 3 almost the same size of the jig..

GT..

Saturday fishing was very quiet, caught a couple of small groupers and lost one very big fish that I had on for a while; decided to pack it in early as the wind was blowing pretty hard and I wanted to get back to Tana to rest my body before work on Monday. Two days of straight jigging in 130-45m wears out the body big time.

There were a number of yellow-fin tuna around, but I gave up casting at them as they were feeding on flying fish and you cannot keep up with them when they are moving so fast.

Good way to end a jigging trip…

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/blaasoppie/Mahajunga%2001-01-10/P1020272.jpg

This little dude wanted to have his Photo taken…

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/blaasoppie/Mahajunga%2001-01-10/P1020274.jpg

This trip I tried attaching my leader to PE-3 braid using braided mono and it worked like a charm; I had read Palmetfisher's post on leader connections, but only had 30lb braided mono so I slid a 3 foot section onto my braid and pushed it up the main line, then did a 2ft long bimini and platted the tag with the 2 loops and spliced the platted bimini into another 3 foot section of braided mono, spliced in the 100lb leader then pulled the section of braided mono that I first slid up my braid over the first and tied a very basic serve and finished off with nail varnish.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/blaasoppie/Mahajunga%2001-01-10/P1030277.jpg

This is a bulletproof system, now I need to get hold of some 50lb and 80lb braided mono to do a proper rig.

Well I won't be jigging for a while, probably not a bad thing as I have no jigs left, so until next time.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/blaasoppie/Mahajunga%2001-01-10/P1020276.jpg

·
146 Posts
Nice pics again as usual!:) Man it looks like paradise there as opposed to the windy cold and rainy,snowy conditions we have been having in the NE right now,out of 365 how many fishable days do you see there? is it nice all the time? Bet you wish you where wireing your jigs like that from the get go!LOL:D

·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TFF,

The weather here in Madagascar is awesome, May to September is usually the windy season although the wind only gets up to about 15 knots.
March to May is cyclone season, but if you dodge those the rest of the time the weather is good.

Friday was an awesome day, slightly overcast, but hardly a breath of wind. Saturday was a different story and the sea was quite uncomfortable and the current was pumping in the same direction as the wind so it was fairly difficult to jig.

Trust me i know all about bad weather; where i come from in South Africa the wind will blow you away if you are not careful, a day like the one in the photos will occur once in a lifetime where i grew up.

Nice pics again as usual!:) Man it looks like paradise there as opposed to the windy cold and rainy,snowy conditions we have been having in the NE right now,out of 365 how many fishable days do you see there? is it nice all the time? Bet you wish you where wireing your jigs like that from the get go!LOL:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts