360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I was wondering if there were any magazines dedicated to jigging. I jig for tuna mostly in the northeast and would love to find a magazine that is dedicated to jigging, even if its not jigging in the north east.
thanks, Bobby

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
hi, I was wondering if there were any magazines dedicated to jigging. I jig for tuna mostly in the northeast and would love to find a magazine that is dedicated to jigging, even if its not jigging in the north east.
thanks, Bobby
There is no jigging/popping magazine, but I discussed the possibility with a few other fishermen. It is time.

·
1,323 Posts
There are numerous magazine publications dedicated to jigging and popping, just not yet here in the US that I know of. I've glanced through many that are French and Japanese. Getting your hands on one is quite possible but they can also be a bit pricey and unless you know those other languages, you're basically looking at the cool pics of fish and gear.

·
Banned
588 Posts
I am in the process of developing a magazine called "Jigging and Popping the World". It is in the beginning stages and don't know how it will end up but it would be exclusively jigging and popping. It would have how to articles and pictorials, and season previews and recaps. I would like to have it as an extension of the online discussion boards, because the boards can be a very friendly and helpful community. The magazine will have the newest rods, reels, jigs, lures, reviews. It would also have a section dedicated to reel upgrades, maintenance, and so on. It would also allow anglers to have their own articles as long range reports, day by day in depth details of their trips. I would also like to offer/raffle the latest tackle and gear randomly as an incentive to anglers to follow the magazine.

I know that magazines and newspapers are down these days but the angling community is different than most. I would love to hear from people on their thoughts about the magazine. I spoke with TJ about the idea also. If anyone is interested in advertising please PM me or contact me anytime.

I'll have a site dedicated to subscriptions soon...

Angelo Ruvio
973-818-8810
[email protected]

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
In my opinion, jigigng and popping is not local due to internet and has to be global magazine to be successful by participation of many international anglers.

·
1,334 Posts
A magazine would be nice! I need something to read; I'm getting to the point where I am memorizing my suppliers catalogs!

One thing that would be cool would be a Rod Comparison. Similar to Mr. Bills post, but pics of rods with 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30+ # hanging off of the tip to compare both factory and custom, jigging and popping. That way people could see how the rod looks and bends at different weights. I know the pics were very helpful in picking out rods and blanks and seeing what they could do.

Also, maybe some illustrations of how different jigs flutter.

One thing I got tired of with the magazines I had before was that it seemed that the reviews and articles weren't neutral; they were geared towards selling the product and the articles were skewed in that direction. Info that would have been helpful to people was not in the article, which basically regurgitated the spec sheet/ads from the item and how great it was! I would love to see more informational articles and reviews by real people/real users, like GMan, Kilsong, Mr. Bill, Ty, Pamet fisher, etc who have gone out and used the product, not just someone who read the spec sheet!

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
A magazine would be nice! I need something to read; I'm getting to the point where I am memorizing my suppliers catalogs!

One thing that would be cool would be a Rod Comparison. Similar to Mr. Bills post, but pics of rods with 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30+ # hanging off of the tip to compare both factory and custom, jigging and popping. That way people could see how the rod looks and bends at different weights. I know the pics were very helpful in picking out rods and blanks and seeing what they could do.

Also, maybe some illustrations of how different jigs flutter.

One thing I got tired of with the magazines I had before was that it seemed that the reviews and articles weren't neutral; they were geared towards selling the product and the articles were skewed in that direction. Info that would have been helpful to people was not in the article, which basically regurgitated the spec sheet/ads from the item and how great it was! I would love to see more informational articles and reviews by real people/real users, like GMan, Kilsong, Mr. Bill, Ty, Pamet fisher, etc who have gone out and used the product, not just someone who read the spec sheet!

All good points you made , but the reason it is like that is because the companies are paying for their product to be in the magazine. Why would a writer say bad things about a boat, when they got paid $1000's to list it in the mag. This is my guess at least.

·
2,924 Posts
I would love to see more informational articles and reviews by real people/real users, like GMan, Kilsong, Mr. Bill, Ty, Pamet fisher, etc who have gone out and used the product, not just someone who read the spec sheet!

There will be a website soon that will incorporate everything you just spoke about

G

·
ideally you'd get the magazine printed with all add revenue and the articles could be neutral. hopefully it can be figured out

·
1,334 Posts
That's the whole problem! The magazine is a paid advertisement, not putting much real information out there! Maybe do an E Zine that you could do with less sponsorship and more real information. I've canceled 5 or 6 magazines because of that. What good is an advertising magazine that has pretty pictures and glowing write ups to people who want real world information?

My whole point is lets do an informative magazine instead of one that is purely money driven. I would rather pay $50 or $75 a year for an info magazine than $20 or $30 for a glossy commercial.

·
2,924 Posts
That's the whole problem! The magazine is a paid advertisement, not putting much real information out there! Maybe do an E Zine that you could do with less sponsorship and more real information. I've canceled 5 or 6 magazines because of that. What good is an advertising magazine that has pretty pictures and glowing write ups to people who want real world information?

My whole point is lets do an informative magazine instead of one that is purely money driven. I would rather pay $50 or $75 a year for an info magazine than $20 or $30 for a glossy commercial.

see PM there will be some other concepts out there soon. I think a magazine is a great one as well. I discussed it with several people but based on the magazine subscriptions being so down I thought it would be a hard sell. Its definitly needed and I hope Angelo gets one running would be a great read

G

·

yeah, thats what would need to happen. i dont know the costs associated and whether itd work out to what you mentioned.

you could still have ads in the magazine and have articles be neutral. regular ad space is OK....the issue i think you're talking about is when it spills into the articles

·
2,924 Posts
Bret and Trav are right ,the only way to make real money in the magazine industry is to get advertising dollars but then that affects your reviews. Im friends with a guy who owns a huge sportfishing publication but now his magazine looks like a sears catalogue because of how many ads he allows

·
1,334 Posts
Yeah, I agree! The ads gotta be there to help fund the magazine and make $$$, but there has to be a limit! If people review something favorably, I would think that would get more sales for that product than a big glossy picture! Real world testing makes a huge difference in what I buy, not a pretty picture!

G

·
all sponsors would have to know up front that all articles are unbiased and that if an article is written and someone doesnt like their product, tough.

smaller sponsors are likely OK with this. dont think some of the big dogs would be, though.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
a mag would be great.

it would be great to be part of it.
but for the little guy it may be hard to support.

and trying to get a unbiased report on product, that seems like it is getting harder and harder to do.

·
1,657 Posts
and trying to get a unbiased report on product, that seems like it is getting harder and harder to do.

Yeah, I see people complaining that, "the other site (this one) is bombarded with promotional things too much recently," but then turn around and do the same things themselves. Magazines and promoters have historically always been biased.

But for comparison my wife just got a note that Southern Living is closing up. If an iconic magazine like this is not making it, even on the ad dollars it generated, then that should tell everyone how the market is going.

Magazines are one way communication, but internet is two way (or ten way depending on the topic.) I like it, as it gives the opportunity to promote, teach and learn, all in the same thread. Promotion is part of the process. And if you have control over development, can be an opportunity for improvement.

my .02 is worth what you paid, $.00.

G

·
my .02 is worth what you paid, $.00.

lol - i like this comment

lots of these comments are why it was decided 360 should start being more organized regarding sponsorship. sometimes its tough to see through posts and know who has a commercial interest in what, and by getting everything organized and identifying sponsors, it will benefit everyone. this way, people can have honest discussions and just click on banners or links when they want to go buy something :)

·
724 Posts
I hope what has been suggested will work. That being said, I'm a realist. I've read gun magazines down through the years and bowhunting magazines. The magazines that are still in business making money accent the good points about a product and never mention the bad. They don't review products that don't advertise with them and they don't write bad reviews about products that do advertise with them. Imagine a magazine which has no advertisers and is totally supported by subscriptions. Would you honestly pay the price of such a magazine? Would enough people pay for subscriptions to keep it in business? I hope such an idea works, I really do, but I'm doubtful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts