360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

M/V Bluefin and Smith & Sons Charters

6615 Views 87 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  scubaarchery
It’s official, Smith and Sons Charters is the new operator of the Bluefin. I will be moving the boat to Galveston and it will be running out of Pier 19, the slip is near the Ocean Star museum parking lot.
I plan on doing mostly private trips but will still offer a good number of open trips, 12&36 hours in hopes to be able to continue to fish with many of you guys here on 360.
I plan to do some different style trips. I’d like to continue the 36 hr deep drop trips we did on the NB, I really liked the times and format of those. I also want to do some Wahoo trips in Jan and Feb and something else I have been wanting to do is run some 36 hour shrimp boat trips in August and September and target the jumbo BFT behind dragging shrimpers at night.
We will continue to run tuna trips but will extend them out to 36 hours to allow us to do some deep dropping on our way home from the floaters.
I have had a lot of interest into jigging only deep drop trips and I’m open to that and anything else you guys want to try.
I have not made a open boat schedule as of yet but am taking reservations for private trips.
My pricing will be.....
12 hours up to 17 passengers
Mon-Thurs 4,400
Fri-Sun 4,800
Open boat 12 hrs- $300 PP

36 hour private trips up to 10 passengers
During RS season (June-Aug)- $7,250
Weekends year round -$7250
Week days outside RS season -$6750

Open boat 36 hrs
Weekends and all days during RS season- $725
Week days -$675
*The majority of open boat trips will be week days, similar to what we have done on the NB.

The FB page and website are under construction but you can give us a call at
(409)213-1040.
Our office hours will be 4pm-8pm Mon-Fri
And 8am-8pm Sat-Sun.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
61 - 80 of 88 Posts
Can't wait to see that rig heading in to port with tuna hanging around it like a Christmas tree.
Reactions: 2
I will take some rod holder measurements to post on here. The boat is currently wired for electrics but I don’t really think it’s practical, there’s only two outlets and I’d prefer to have you guys bring batteries than to have wires stretched out all over the boat but I haven’t completely evaluated that yet.
I’m sure I will bust the kite out at some point. I haven’t tried it in a long time, on the Bucc it’s hard to get one out with all the lines.
Wiring corrosion seems like it would be a maintenance nightmare, and then customers would get butthurt if they didn't have power.
Reactions: 1
They got smaller electro reels now that can be used with a small batt pack stored in a vest. Back in the early 80's all the old regs used the eletromates for jacks with big batt's and bait wells all over the boat. Sure made it a pain to clean the boat on the way in.
Congrats on the new boat. It looks great.
I have the crew ready to roll for a date in July. If anyone wants to join let me know. We have a few open spots. Planning on deep dropping primarily along with inshore blackfin and some time to go swordfishing. I'm glad Matt took the plunge. Now I can sell my boat and go fishing with Matt. I have no doubt his trips will be epic.
Send me some details if you don’t mind. I’m interested in joining.
Send me some details if you don’t mind. I’m interested in joining.
360 private trip on the Bluefin with Captain Matt! | 360 Tuna Fishers Forum
May 29th I believe
Excellent! My dad and I will be on the NB this thursday (5/18). Looking forward to this trip and experiencing the new blue fin in the future. Any advice on whats been working lately; or is it halco's, chunk and pinfish per the usual?
Very cool, congrats on the purchase.

There are 9 bunks/ benches, most are similar in size to the smaller booths in the NB. I will also have some bean bags, it seems quite a few people prefer sleeping that way vs in the seats on the Bucc. We always had campers upstairs in beanbags.
I was wondering if you were going to redo the bunk area to try to add more room. Both my brother and I have slept in there and in galley area.

My first and only AJ is from that boat; video of it below. (adult language for those of you in common areas without a headset).

Reactions: 4

I was wondering if you were going to redo the bunk area to try to add more room. Both my brother and I have slept in there and in galley area.

My first and only AJ is from that boat; video of it below. (adult language for those of you in common areas without a headset).

I've only caught one amberjack. After what felt like one of the most immense fights ive ever had, a tug of war that you would tell stories about, a dinky little undersized AJ came up.
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
I've only caught one amberjack. After what felt like one of the most immense fights ive ever had, a tug of war that you would tell stories about, a dinky little undersized AJ came up.
Try a 40 lb permit snagged in the butt.

Yes, I plan to re configure the up stairs portion of the cabin to add atleast one more bunk.... I’m not completely sure how I’m going to make that happen yet but have a couple different ideas.
The Blue Fin passed her Coastguard inspection today and we are now ready to fish! I will be announcing the open boat schedule here pretty soon but we are currently taking reservations for private charters.
Hey Matt I was just looking at the video posted by Drundel fishing from the bluefin. It looks like bent butt rods are in order if one plans to use them to fish your electrics from the rail unless you hand hold them. Could you please post more detailed pictures with dimensions of the rod holders with heights from the deck for all to see. The Rod Holding setups that many of us have to fish the New Buccaneer, Cav and don't make me say it the Capt J do not appear that they will be practical or useful on the Bluefin.

Congrats on passing the Coast Guard inspection
Hey Matt I was just looking at the video posted by Drundel fishing from the bluefin. It looks like bent butt rods are in order if one plans to use them to fish your electrics from the rail unless you hand hold them. Could you please post more detailed pictures with dimensions of the rod holders with heights from the deck for all to see. The Rod Holding setups that many of us have to fish the New Buccaneer, Cav and don't make me say it the Capt J do not appear that they will be practical or useful on the Bluefin.

Congrats on passing the Coast Guard inspection
I’m glad you reminded me, yes I will definitely post some pics of the rod holders and measurements.
Here are some rod holder measurements. If you see something your not sure about just ask.... the bow holders are a bit odd with the angle they are at but it would be easy to bring a clamp holder for up there. At some point I plan to weld straight up and down holders on the bow.
See less See more
Reactions: 3
I saw y'all leaving this morning. I'm on new buc for snapper with Capt. Danny

Attachments

See less See more
@Capt.matt Where are you going to be posting regular fishing reports? This thread or a different one?

Thx
I saw y'all coming in too.

I bet none of y'all caught a monster like this.

Attachments

See less See more
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Opening day was good to us. We had a 14 passenger private trip and our RS ranged from 12-18 lbs. We did some trolling and picked up one King and bounced some bouys looking for a Ling on the way home with no luck.

See less See more
61 - 80 of 88 Posts