Lure Project

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by surfcowboy, Feb 27, 2009.

1. surfcowboy

surfcowboy Site Sponsor

Hi Everyone

New to the site. I was looking on here a few weeks ago and came across a post by Brice on Popper blanks

Well I thought I would try my hand at popper making and airbrushing. Just to pass some time here in Iraq. I bought these blanks from a guy That Brice talked about. His name Todd you can reach him at [email protected] just let him know that William in Iraq is doing fine if you chat with him. Todd did a great job on turning these blanks, and he gave me some info on where to pick up Hardware to finish these. I finished a total of 26 out of 30 before I ran short of hardware. There is a soiled .052" stainless steal through wire. Which goes through the eye of a 2/0 rosco swivel. I have St-66 hooks to go with these poppers 4/0 and 5/0. The last 3 I finished I think are the top ones out of the bunch but that were after I made a stencil. Trying to do fine detail work with an Airbrush is super hard and with no airbrush exp. I opted not to try it at this time. Maybe the next batch I work on I will work on my honing my airbrush skills. I still need to add a top coat sealer I’m thinking of going with polyurethane in the gal. cans and dipping them and letting them hang. I was also told about a rod building product to finish them with. The only problem I have is time. I’m heading back to the states on leave in 15days so I’m sending these to my uncle to finish these off before I get there. Well the only problem I had was looping the wire in the back any suggestion on how to do that. I was using a nail, vice, and a pair of duckbill pliers.

Well I hope to try these out when I’m in Nc, and again when I’m in Texas.

Does anyone fish on here out of Nc around Frying Pan Shoals? I have only been out there once in my boat and I ended up doing some bottom fishing. I'm just getting in to the offshore fishing more since I have my own boat now. so any help would work.

Tell me what you think I would like some feed back.

Have a good up coming weekend

William

Attached Files:

• new1.jpg
      new1.jpg
      File size:
      96 KB
      Views:
    • new.jpg
      new.jpg
      File size:
      94.1 KB
      Views:
    • new2.jpg
      new2.jpg
      File size:
      95.2 KB
      Views:
    • new3.jpg
      new3.jpg
      File size:
      85.4 KB
      Views:
    • NEW4.jpg
      NEW4.jpg
      File size:
      98.3 KB
      Views:
    • new6.jpg
      new6.jpg
      File size:
      113.2 KB
      Views:
    • new7.jpg
      new7.jpg
      File size:
      84.7 KB
      Views:
    • new8.jpg
      new8.jpg
      File size:
      101.2 KB
      Views:
    • new9.jpg
      new9.jpg
      File size:
      155.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      98.1 KB
      Views:
    • new10.jpg
      new10.jpg
      File size:
      109.8 KB
      Views:
    • new11.jpg
      new11.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • new12.jpg
      new12.jpg
      File size:
      147.7 KB
      Views:
    • new13.jpg
      new13.jpg
      File size:
      83.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      104.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      89.6 KB
      Views:
  2. surfcowboy

surfcowboy Site Sponsor

here are a couple more

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      102.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      83.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

good job and a great way to pass the time. i ordered a spinnerbait mold and a lead melter with a bunch of skirts and blades when i was in kuwait. was making them in my seahut during down time. enjoy your leave brother.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

They look nice.

A couple things I noticed though, your thru wire is a little on the light side. Most is .100-.105 diameter. Also most lures of those shape are tail weighted. A simple way would be to cut an egg sinker in half and put it at the end of your lure. Here is an example.
    [​IMG]

d-a

5. LST-Ray

LST-Ray Junior member

Many plug builder use Envirotex ... or 30 Minute Epoxy as a top coat. You will need to spin the plugs until they set-up. Air bubble will evacuate with the heat of a hair dryer while epoxy is still wet. There are mant sites that have plug builing information.
    Good Luck .... Nice Work

6. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

7. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

doug, thats a pretty nice example!!

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

doug, thats a pretty nice example!!

I know, too bad it wasn't mine.

d-a

9. red34

red34 Guest

Those are painted a heck of a lot nicer than mine. Great work!

10. red34

red34 Guest

They look nice.

A couple things I noticed though, your thru wire is a little on the light side. Most is .100-.105 diameter. Also most lures of those shape are tail weighted. A simple way would be to cut an egg sinker in half and put it at the end of your lure. Here is an example.
    [​IMG]

d-a

I believe he used 500# ss wire. What would you recommend using and where can you get it?

I used 330# at first but it seemed too small.

11. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

You may want to play round with the positioning of the belly swivel , if you move it 20mm forward for example you change the weight disribution and you may find on bad weather days the lures sit better in the water and better action , also try a few small sinkers/pellets infront of the belly hook on the wire . i normally test my poppers with normal wire get the action/balance etc right then rig with stainless wire . nice paint jobs

12. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Lures look great,

13. i think ur wire is fine i too am a plug builder i did several test trying to pull the wire out and or break it cant happen unless u use a truck!!!!i am a big boy 280lbs and i hung from a plug and pulled down as hard as i could and nothing...also the drag on ur reel would never put enough pressure on the wire to break it..even a t-rex could not doit....also the rod would shatter way before the wire.....

jfp

14. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

In my experience , its not really the thru strength of the wire that counts the most, rather the resistance to bending at the eyes.
    A soft wire is easier to shape but bends more from leverage in the fish's mouth and bends easier if banged in storage rolls etc.........which can upset the action of the lure.
    I prefer hard 304 Stainless to softer 316 types for that reason & availability of the length I work with . ( it's a tad longer than the std lure supply catalogues ) . I find 360# works fine at .043" and no disadvantage to .050 in softer wires in strength , but less susceptible to bending on the completed lure on the water.

its a compromise in the duty the lure builder is seeking & different builders use different wire materials for different reasons.

Like a lot of things..........there is more than one way to get a good strong lure............just because a wire looks thinner than you might be used to seeing does not mean it is not up to the job, or maybe even better in some aspects.