Lure holder on Spinner

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MrBill, Mar 18, 2009.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I might be on a boat where it's possible there could be a half dozen of the same rods on it. It's also possible that all the rods could have the same brand of spinning reels. That could be a little confusing when you stop to fish and grab your rod.

I got to thinking. I really don't like placing the treble of a popper or swimbait on the bottom guide when traveling from one spot to another. The hook will put pressure on the guide and cause a rash on it. I've done it for years just like everyone else. I've even seen idiot's put the hook inside the eye of the guide.:eek:

So, I came up with a rig that might work and I'll be able to find my rods quickly. I even put a black marks-a-lot marking on each nylon strap just in case some other person had the same crazy idea as me. I like odds, and I think Vegas would give me a 500,000 to 1 bet that no one else on the boat will rig their rods exactly as me.

Below is what I did to distinguish my rods from others on the boat. I think it might just work.

Attached Files:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I'll give you $2 a piece for some of them.

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Is this at the stripper guide?
    I have had line wrap and hang on loops
    that I have placed ahead of the bail and
    before the stripper guide.
    Cast it and check before you see that
    Marlin sunning it's self.

Nice use of quality hardware.

Kev

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Nice Idea. I would put the rod in the holder 180 degrees from the normal position to keep the popper from riding on the blank since you have that on the top of the blank. It will also help locate your rod quicker since it looks goofy.

I always just hook my bottom treble to the reel seat stem, theirs not much there that cant take the occasional rubbing or gouging

d-a

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Mr. Bill, It seems like a great idea. Were there any other positions for it that you considered and rejected? I guess the top of the grip/bottom of the rod, seemed too clunky?

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Old style?

Attached Files:

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Mr. Bill, It seems like a great idea. Were there any other positions for it that you considered and rejected? I guess the top of the grip/bottom of the rod, seemed to clunky?

I did consider the top of the grip. It's a two pc rod. I doubt that tightening the nylon wire strap to much would stop the top pc from going into the bottom. It's just that once you compress the foam on the grip for a period of time, the foam memory just seems to never come back. I have a few rods that have gone into rod cases for trips where the guide from one rod was compressed into the foam grip on another. After months, there is still an indention in the foam. I guess that's being a little to picky. Afterall, the whole idea is to use the rod and not worry about how it looks.

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Old style?

Thats how I roll

d-a

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I see your point about the popper rubbing on the rod. I'll take some a few of the shimano cocoons to protect the rod. The main reason for doing this is to know which rods are mine. I have a gut feeling that at least 6 tuna snipers will be on this trip. I'm taking two and can only guess that Minnow will take a couple himself. The other guys might also have at least one.

Yes, it is the stripper guide.

I had a lures hook do damage to a rod one time from the rubbing on a rough 30 mile run out.

d-a

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Old style?

Isn't that my twinspin in your picture?:) I do like doing it that way, but having up to six of the same rods and reels and maybe even the same popper tied on in the same rocket launcher could be confusing.

Hell, I might just buy some of those flourcent orange sticky round dots from office max and just stick them on my rods.:D That way I can continue to do it
    "Old Style",

12. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Yes sir it is your rig.;)

If one was to have a Fish Caddy then he could call out to him\her
    for a specific rod or beverage.:rolleyes:

13. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Is this at the stripper guide?
    I have had line wrap and hang on loops that I have placed ahead of the bail and before the stripper guide. Cast it and check before you see that Marlin sunning it's self.

Nice use of quality hardware.

Kev

2nd that.

Fuji use to have some great high speed photos their site that showed how braid tend to loop around the stripper guide during a cast so I would be leary on adding the extra nooks and crannies for to catch on.

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This is the best method. But not all rods have the rod rings.
    Yes, that is the Accurate SR50. The largest capacity spinner on the market. It's on a new custom made rod that will tame even the meanest of fish. Thanks Txseadog. I just got it. Very nice. The wrapping is superb. I did a quick lift of 40#s. No problem. I'm ready for "Moby Dick".

Attached Files:

15. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

These work really well. Screw mount cable tie.

[​IMG]

16. rhale

rhale Senior Member

This is the best method. But not all rods have the rod rings.
    Yes, that is the Accurate SR50. The largest capacity spinner on the market. It's on a new custom made rod that will tame even the meanest of fish. Thanks Txseadog. I just got it. Very nice. The wrapping is superb. I did a quick lift of 40#s. No problem. I'm ready for "Moby Dick".

All my rods have the rod rings and they work great. The last trip out I had taken one off and forgot to put it back on so I hooked the popper to the stripper and the hooks rashed up the blank pretty good.....:mad:

Wow 40# lift, what blank did you build it on, and are we going to get to see some pics of the lift test??????

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

All my rods have the rod rings and they work great. The last trip out I had taken one off and forgot to put it back on so I hooked the popper to the stripper and the hooks rashed up the blank pretty good.....:mad:

Wow 40# lift, what blank did you build it on, and are we going to get to see some pics of the lift test??????

Its an OTI blank, Hopefully Mr Bill will take some pictures of it under load

d-a

18. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Yes, that is the Accurate SR50. The largest capacity spinner on the market.

How does the "Giant Killer"/SR50 Combo cast that Wombat?

19. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

How does the "Giant Killer"/SR50 Combo cast that Wombat?

Ha Ha. I haven't tried it yet. I think it's to light for the "Giant Killer".:) I think the rating you put on the rod is to light. If I bust this thing it will be because my drag locked up.:D

The rod is awesome and its not heavy. I'm not sure how you did that wrap job with the lettering but it's really cool. Depending how you hold it, the writing comes and goes. This is the perfect casting rod for me. I tend to get frustrated if I can't get a fish to the boat in ten to fifteen minutes. Not being able to pour on the drag during a fight because the rod might break really tee's me off. This rod should solve that problem.:)

Attached Files:

20. mad mike

mad mike Junior member

I also use zip ties with the screw loop in them work great

21. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

I stick a large swivel on one post of the clamp before i tighten the reel down on the rod. It works great, but you will get some scratches on your reel so make sure it's one your not to worried about.