Lowest cost 2 speed

Discussion in 'Reels' started by barbwire, Jan 2, 2009.

1. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

I am looking for some ideas on a lower cost 2 speed reel that will still give good performance chunking/ bottom fishing. I need to get started building up my equipment and am wondering what are some lower cost alternatives? It has been made as a suggestion to go old school and use Penn 6/0. I know these are not two speed but they are cheap enough. If I need more drag from the Penn I guess I can just use my thumb as a brake.:eek:

2. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

3. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i suggest the 6/0 and replace the handle to something bigger like a tiburon. if you replace the washers with carbontex and cals grease you can get 30+lbs of drag.

As you said it's not the 'vogue' reel, but I caught my largest tuna to date on an old 6/0.

5. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Anything made in China tends to be cheaper than the alternatives. Sometimes 'cheap' ends up being more expensive though...

6. fonz

fonz Member

Just troll different fishing forums. Look at their classified sections. I have picked up some great deals...

7. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Anything made in China tends to be cheaper than the alternatives. Sometimes 'cheap' ends up being more expensive though...
    Thats what I am trying to avoid if at all possible. I don't mind spending the money on quality gear it's just that i was wondering what were some less expensive alternatives. I have a Seeker rod that is begging for a SDS or a VSX but I can't make up my mind along with the fact that I have never dropped that much paper on a reel.:D I have a Bar Bar 80# rod that will definately be getting a 6/0 Penn. How much is a 2 speed needed? Can I get by with a single speed? Thanks for the suggestions everyone. If you were choosing between an Avet SDS or Penn's VSX which one would you buy or is there something else that is mo' better.

8. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

i suggest the 6/0 and replace the handle to something bigger like a tiburon. if you replace the washers with carbontex and cals grease you can get 30+lbs of drag.

As you said it's not the 'vogue' reel, but I caught my largest tuna to date on an old 6/0.
    30+ pounds of drag huh. I like the sound of that.

9. red34

red34 Guest

I got a 30W on ebay below retail. You might have to invest a few nights into snipering one of them at the last minute, but I am satisfied with the reel.

I HAVE NOT TESTED THE REEL YET, JUST GOING ON FEEL, SPECS, LOOKS, AND ONLINE REVIEWS.

I write that like that because I don't want you to buy based on my recommendation and be upset, just wanted to give you another option in a lower cost 2 spd. I'm waiting for a tear-down and hotrodding article from Alan Tani on this reel.

Quantum Performance Tuned Fishing Tackle

quantum aruba, Sporting Goods items on eBay.com

10. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

I have been very happy with a couple of 4/0 penn reels i bought last year and would not hesitate to buy another Penn product. You can do a lot of upgrading these Penn reels as I am seeing.What does switching to a Tiburon frame gain you in performance? I have looked at those Quantum reels too and I guess that's another option. I guess the sky is the limit on how much you can spend on tackle. Those B2-50 and Tib SST reels are some sweet looking pieces,but $$$$$

11. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

on my very first trip put of venice, the crew used 6/0's that they locked the drag down with pliers and loaded it with 130 mono. had it on a meat stick and used them for aj's on the rigs. once hooked the boat hauled azz. i can attest that the drag did not give. straight up tug of war between man and fish. that is dangerous but fun. the 6/0 can bring the heat if needed.

12. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I have been very happy with a couple of 4/0 penn reels i bought last year and would not hesitate to buy another Penn product. You can do a lot of upgrading these Penn reels as I am seeing.What does switching to a Tiburon frame gain you in performance? I have looked at those Quantum reels too and I guess that's another option. I guess the sky is the limit on how much you can spend on tackle. Those B2-50 and Tib SST reels are some sweet looking pieces,but $$$$$

Here's a Penn 114H I switched over to an Accurate frame a while back. There were some advantages but mostly it was just something I wanted to do. The stock versions have been used for years. They're workhorses. The only problem comes when you're pulling up 300 feet of line off the bottom with a 2 lbs of lead with the low gear ratio :eek:

The only advatages I can see are:
    1) Less twist in the frame if you have a hoss AJ on.
    2) The gap between the spool and the frame is reduced so you have less chance of getting line stuck in there during a birdnest.
    3) It feels a bit lighter.

Frame

13. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

Check out the Okuma's. Looks like it could be a low cost competitor. Okuma

Even some of the Shimano TLD's can be found for a good price new or used. Check out ebay. I found lot's of good deals of equipment there.

14. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

okuma has teamed up with tiburon, hopefully the quality will improve

15. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Those Okumas look nice,but looks can be deceiving.I don't know if I want to be a test dummy although Alan says they should be a functional reel with a little tweaking with some help from his tutorial.Anybody try the Titus gold? Can you get carbon fiber drags for Penn 6/0 reels? I don't see them listed on smooth drags site. How much drag can you get from a stock Penn drag? I think I am going to try a Quantum Aruba and see if it lives up to the marketing hype.

16. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Here's a Penn 114H I switched over to an Accurate frame a while back. There were some advantages but mostly it was just something I wanted to do. The stock versions have been used for years. They're workhorses. The only problem comes when you're pulling up 300 feet of line off the bottom with a 2 lbs of lead with the low gear ratio :eek:

The only advatages I can see are:
    1) Less twist in the frame if you have a hoss AJ on.
    2) The gap between the spool and the frame is reduced so you have less chance of getting line stuck in there during a birdnest.
    3) It feels a bit lighter.

Frame
    I am buying a Tib frame and a replacement handle today as an upgrade to a 4/0 I have. Anybody ever put one of these frames on a new Penn right out of the box? Thinking of buying a 6/0 and converting the frame , handle and using the stock drags till they are toast.

17. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

If you are not going to fish it above 20-22+ of drag in a harness, the older model TLD20/30II are great reels and would be my pick. I've seen several used ones sale lately on Ebay in the $140-180 range and new A-series are less $250 but I think they are made in Korea instead of Japan like the older ones.

18. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

The Penn Baja Special is a 4/0 with the aluminum frame, special gearing, better drags and a nice handle. Penn got tired of everyone upgrading their 4/0s and decided to sell them already done.

Tom - DBG

19. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

The Penn Baja Special is a 4/0 with the aluminum frame, special gearing, better drags and a nice handle. Penn got tired of everyone upgrading their 4/0s and decided to sell them already done.

Tom - DBG

Tom,

I believe the only hope for finding one of these is used. Penn discontinued them last year. I found one NIB still in stock last August, and was told then that they only had a few left and they were going fast.

They are nifty reels though... 29oz, 4.3:1 gears, 500 yds 80# braid, narrow spool, and 20# of drag. I got mine on clearance for $159.

It looks like Penn might have just released a "new and improved" replacement for it:
    [​IMG]

See Penn Conventional

Oh, and Barbwire... You might want to rethink the idea of using your thumb as a brake :)
    That braid will getcha!

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

is that one made in the US?