360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm going to Panama next year, and after a lot of discussion on tackle, here is my last doubt.

For big Tuna casting, I will use a Black Devil 200 and Varivas GT PE6. As everybody told me that I need at least 400m of PE6 line, the reel range reduced for 3 or 4 options.

The best ones Dog Fight and Stella SW18000 are in the $800 range, which for me is a high investment. I will use the reel just one time in the next two years, so for my budget and my mind, it's a lot of money for a low usage. Personally I don't like the Saragossa, so as a last option the new Saltist 6500H looked resonable for me. The price is around $230, the reel can handle my line option and the drag is not that bag 15kg (30lb).

Considering the situation, this reel looks like for me the best option. But as I have never been to Panama before, maybe you can tell me if am right or no?
If you don't agree on my proposal, please explain where this reel on fit the proposal.

Thanks for all

·
55 Posts
How about these?.
I call them, "The Poormans Stella"
I have a 4000 (for inshore and bait catch'n), a 12000 and a 14000 that I use for offshore mainly Jigg'n. They are tough as nails after they have a set of Smooth drag carbon tx washers with some cals grease. I havent caught a YFT yet on either, but, Ive brought some bull sharks that I didnt want to catch I estimated over 200# up to the boat more than once.

I got the reels after talking with a very popular venice guide who uses them regularly in his daily catch operation who told me about them.

They are both under $200 each

JMO

Shimano Spheros 14000FB - Google Product Search

Shimano Spheros 18000FB - Google Product Search

The next level down even farther in price and choice that is tough but, I would change the washers also are:
Two oldie but goodie poormans spinners penn 950 - Google Product Search
penn 9500 - Google Product Search

Hog

·
214 Posts
Stay away from the Saltist, they are not holding up well to big fish. You don't want to go to Panama and have a reel failure. I don't like the Saragosa's much either but they should be good enough if you only are going to fish it a few times a year.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hog,

Thanks for the suggestion. The Spheros works great, but they are old models.
The Salist is a new release with some good features. The reel looks nice too.
If the diggigears follow the same characterics of the Saltiga line, I'm sure that this reel can handle the job.

Regards

G

·
blow off the purchase and book with panama sportfishing lodge. they provide stella's and other quality reels on oti rods for jigging and popping. i am going back in a few weeks and i am not going to take any rods or reels with me and it will be a lot easier to travel......rick

·
418 Posts
blow off the purchase and book with panama sportfishing lodge. they provide stella's and other quality reels on oti rods for jigging and popping. i am going back in a few weeks and i am not going to take any rods or reels with me and it will be a lot easier to travel......rick

I agree 100 percent. I also agree u don't want to travel to panama and have a reel failure. That being said stellas fail too....maybe just not as frequently

·
2,020 Posts
no kidding. book with an outfitter that provides the reels... you dont want to lose the fish of a lifetime because of inefficient equipment.

·
3,483 Posts
The *ONLY* reason to take your own gear is that you *INSIST* on being a tackle ho (like me).

It makes no sense whatsoever to go cheap on gear when places like PSFL can provide you with better than what you will need during the trip.

Take you own lures but book with a quality place and leave the rods and reels home.

·
1,201 Posts
Use lodge gear or borrow the best. If you are only going to use the reel on one trip in the next two years, I'd forego buying and use somebody else's.

There are a LOT of Stella's and Saltiga's around, find someone who will loan you theirs (I suggest taking a minimum of two, any reel can fail). People willing to loan gear are not rare in the fishing community, I've loaned and borrowed gear countless times to/from members on this very forum. Just go with the understanding that "if you break it, you just bought it" ;)

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going with Panama Fishing Lodge, I guess they have the reel. Actually I bought everything, the Tuna reel is the only thing left.

I will work overtime :) and get the Dog Fight. I prefer to use my own stuff.

Thanks

·
301 Posts
What about Tufftackle Diablo 9000, I should receive mine in the next 2 days, 44 lbs of drag, 320 meters of PE6, metal construction & 10 yrs warranty just for AUS 375/- shipped.

·
107 Posts
I am going to Panama Sportfishing Lodge in Dec. I was on the fence myself but decided to buy a Saragosa 18000F and a custom Oti rod.(Thanks To Cape May Tackle) My first tuna trip this season we had bluefin busting all on top,trolled through them an didn't get a hook-up.Maybe next time I'll have this stick with me.If the lodges gear looks better I won't hesitate to use theirs, I'm not proud.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Its a souped up drag dogfight prepared only for Australia:D . Wait till you see the OTT OTI I built for it. Pics to follow in a few hours

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Saga. How much does it cost this Maverick in Australia? Can I find in a regular fishing store (Sydnei)?
I'm from Brazil, but my Parents are going to Australia in January and myabe they can buy on for me.
This reel will mach perfectly my Black Devil 200.
Regards
Henrique

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
G'day Henrique. It goes for around the AU$1500 mark in the stores here. The Daiwa pro dealers might have stocks. My friend has an online shop and a tackle shop that you can walk into, here in Sydney. If you really want one then he can bring one in for you

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
G'day Henrique. It goes for around the AU$1500 mark in the stores here. The Daiwa pro dealers might have stocks. My friend has an online shop and a tackle shop that you can walk into, here in Sydney. If you really want one then he can bring one in for you

HOLY CRAP!!! That is $1,375USD! You better get a happy ending from the cashier girl for that. And she better be (insert hottest Australian girl here. I could only think of nicole Kidman, but I don't think that is good enough.):D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts