LOUISIANA STATE RECORD #2

Discussion in 'Reef fish' started by brookeandry, Mar 16, 2009.

1. brookeandry

brookeandry Guest

We at The Venice Palms had a large corporate group come stay with us last week. We sent them fishing both inshore and offshore fishing. There first day out, we sent a group of 5 men fishing with Captain Josh on his 26' Glacier Bay. The tuna bite was not on that morning so they decided to go fish the rigs. Captain Josh took them to one of his favorite rigs, which sits in about 600 feet of water.
    Using live mullet for bait and 250lb. Power Pro Braided line, Brian O'Haire, who never caught a fish before this trip, hooked, fought, and landed an enormous amberjack. Captain Josh knew this amberjack was a contender for a state record.
    When they got back to the dock, this fine amberjack tipped the scales at 128 pounds, making it the second largest amberjack caught in the State of Louisiana, right below a 130 pounder.
    Brian, from Denver, Colorado, was thrilled! We told him that he can now confidently say that he is a fishermen. We also told him he has something else to add to his resume - # 2 State of Louisiana Record Amberjack!
    If you like action and fighting big fish, Venice is the fishing destination for you. For offshore and inshore fishing charters and lodging in the world's best fishing destination- Venice, Louisiana, call us - (504) 231-2238.

Attached Files:

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

That is a HUGE GOM AJ... :eek:

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

The middle picture is sick, I am LMAO .

Nice AJ.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

freakin monster aj! i really wish we wouldve used my scale at jigfest 3.

5. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

MONSTER!!!! im hoping to go jigging tom.... wonder if my 4000p could stop something that size lol

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Your OJ 4000P can definitely stop that AJ... You just gotta worry about that damn thing running into the rigs and cutting you off.

7. gman

gman Senior Member

Man wish I weighed mine in at jigfest 4, thats a beautiful AJ now Im wondering what mine went

8. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Well there is always a first for everything!!

1st time to catch a fish

1st time to catch a nice fish

1st time to sleep with a nice fish

1st time to get caught sleeping with a nice fish

9. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

La has the monsters for sure. What size was #1?

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

La has the monsters for sure. What size was #1?

I believe it was 130lbs. The original post is on rod n reel

d-a

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

12. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Please pass our congrats to Brian on his huge AJ!

13. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Congrats on a great AJ!

14. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

That's a freaking HOG dude, congrats!

15. gman

gman Senior Member

I believe it was 130lbs. The original post is on rod n reel

d-a

doug what would you put mine at then, did they get any dimensions on it

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

doug what would you put mine at then, did they get any dimensions on it

Glenn

They have no reason to get diminsions. They keep most all the larger Aj's. The fish in the picture doesn't look as big as the one you caught.

Jerry's 2 100lbers looked like most of the 54-55 inch ones we caught.

d-a

17. gman

gman Senior Member

Glenn

They have no reason to get diminsions. They keep most all the larger Aj's. The fish in the picture doesn't look as big as the one you caught.

Jerry's 2 100lbers looked like most of the 54-55 inch ones we caught.

d-a

I didnt think of that with the dimensions good point ... Im just kicking myself in the ass for not getting a weight on mine. That fish they caught was a beast no doubt about it especially near a rig

18. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

glenn dont beat yourself up bro. your fish was definitely a beast. we will never know the true size of it. very close in size though. i dont know how big those guys are to get a better comparison. i tried comparing them with dual page on my computer and its too hard to tell. the pic on the left makes it seem like it didnt have the thickness(shoulders) of yours but is very wide from dorsal to belly area. both great catches.

19. gman

gman Senior Member

glenn dont beat yourself up bro. your fish was definitely a beast. we will never know the true size of it. very close in size though. i dont know how big those guys are to get a better comparison. i tried comparing them with dual page on my computer and its too hard to tell. the pic on the left makes it seem like it didnt have the thickness(shoulders) of yours but is very wide from dorsal to belly area. both great catches.

No doubt like I said they should be commended on a beast of a fish especially where they fished from