Loop To Loop for Poppers and Jigs?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by red34, Dec 1, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

Is there any reason you wouldn’t want to use a loop in your main line and a loop in a shorter heavier leader directly connected to your jig/lure to make a loop-to-loop connection for easy and quick lure and leader changes? It would be the same basic concept as a wind-on connection so strength shouldn’t be an issue, but I wanted to see if yall had ever seen a negative effect from this.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Is there any reason you wouldn’t want to use a loop in your main line and a loop in a shorter heavier leader directly connected to your jig/lure to make a loop-to-loop connection for easy and quick lure and leader changes? It would be the same basic concept as a wind-on connection so strength shouldn’t be an issue, but I wanted to see if yall had ever seen a negative effect from this.

For jigging it's Ok, for popping you will lose some distance casting. Plus you will have to make the wind-on's. I can tie leaders on faster than I can change out properly installed wind-on's.

d-a

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

For jigging it's Ok, for popping you will lose some distance casting. Plus you will have to make the wind-on's. I can tie leaders on faster than I can change out properly installed wind-on's.

d-a

You've mentioned before that casting distance is less, and until I try it I've got to take your word for it. But I've made up some JB with an end splice and looped it to a JB braid with inserted leader.

Each side of the spliced line is doubled for a couple feet so that's 4' total of doubled 80# braid. But the knot is smaller than anything else, like a tenth the size.

15' fluoro leader in loop to loop case or mid knot case.

When you say that casting distance is reduced is the above the type of setup that you're referring to?

Thanks,

4. red34

red34 Guest

Ok sorry. Let me clarify the setup I'm talking about. It goes braid from the reel to a 10-15 ft of 50# leader with a Baja loop in the end to a 18-24" section of 80-100# mono tied to the popper or jig. The loop-to-loop wouldn't ever enter the rod tip, just be there for quick changes.

5. red34

red34 Guest

Ok sorry. Let me clarify the setup I'm talking about. It goes braid from the reel - 10-15 ft of 50# leader with a Baja loop in the end to a 18-24" section of 80-100# mono tied to the popper or jig.

6. red34

red34 Guest

Ok sorry. Let me clarify the setup I'm talking about. It goes braid from the reel - 10-15 ft of 50# leader with a Baja loop in the end to a 18-24" section of 80-100# mono tied to the popper or jig.