lookout..TX.here comes IKE!!

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Bret, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

2. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

doesnt look good for upper tx coast...

dunno 'bout the upper coast, but someone along the Texas coast is gonna be in-a-world-o'hurt (imo)

tomorrow i play golf in the morning........ come back....... put ship-to-shore cord on the boat........ board up a coupla winderz......... pack a coupla important thangz and wednesday morning i figger i'll know what-to-do

if it gets anywhere close this time.......... i'll use auger/anchors and tie my boat down (i've done-it-before w/4' long metal stakes) if they put my boat on the caleche lot

for Dolly they had me all the way out front on concrete but some o'the boats around back on the lot fell over............ either from stands collapsing or sinking because of the wind rockin'em or maybe just too soft o'soil (or both)

worst hit were the big sail boats that didn't breakdown their masts.......... (and,... of course,..... those masts would whack about three sportfishers next to'em)

3. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

hope-fer-the-best.....
    expect-the-worst........
    and secure everthang!

[​IMG]

4. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Great site. looks like port a is going to take it hard. only time will tell

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have no boat insurance and my boat is in Port A. I could trailer it to SA, but pulling a 6500lb load in heavy traffic sucks. I'm not real confident in the lugs holding the rims. The trailer is all aluminum, but the lug bolts have surface rust. One good thing is I don't have steel leaf springs. I have an aluminum torsion bar suspension. The trailer is about six years old and in very good shape.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

have you thought about sailing it up to Galveston or thereabouts? As of now it appears the storm will be south of here.

not the best option but its a thought.

7. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have no boat insurance and my boat is in Port A. I could trailer it to SA, but pulling a 6500lb load in heavy traffic sucks. I'm not real confident in the lugs holding the rims. The trailer is all aluminum, but the lug bolts have surface rust. One good thing is I don't have steel leaf springs. I have an aluminum torsion bar suspension. The trailer is about six years old and in very good shape.

Do you have your boat in a barn down there?? if not I have a 45' barn in ingleside thats empty.. my boat is @ canyon lake.. Dont know if that would help you.. but its there if you need to use it.

pm me if you are interested....

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Bret, thanks for the offer. I keep it in a barn in Port A. I've had the same barn since 1980. One time the sliding doors were blow off by "Allen" and some of the tin roof peeled off. Other than that, it's held up fine over the years. I might just leave it there and let it rest in peace.

The barn is 9' above sea level. It would take another 4 or 5' to float it off the trailer towards Aransas Pass. If my boat ends up on the sea wall at Corpus or Aransas Pass, there is nothing left in Port A. I'll make up my mind in the morning. Thanks for the offer. That was nice of you.

9. Bret

Bret Senior Member

no problemo... hopefully port A will be still standing...

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here's the latest rumor (forcast). Moving a boat to SA would be stupid. Looking more like a Port O'Connor bulls eye then into SA. I'm sure things will change, but here's the latest graph. It's now 983 miles from Corpus.

http://www.stormpulse.com/fullscreen/hurricane-ike-2008

11. atunatado

atunatado Member

Best is to keep an eye on it yourself and not get caught up in local media weather hype. Those people can make anybody nervous about nothing.

12. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I couldn't answer your question Mr. Bill....your mailbox is overloaded.

But....I'm not sure what I will do with my boat yet. I've been busy with getting meds ready for patients that may be evacuated.

If I get the time....I will take the boat out to the ranch which is 54 miles from the coast as the crow flies, (almost due West of Corpus). If Ike goes far enough North of Corpus, I may just leave her on the boat lift.

If you need to park your boat inland....let me know.