Looking for Tuna Popping Charter recommendation in South California

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by IAY, Nov 2, 2017.

1. IAY

IAY New Member

Hi guys,

I am looking to book my first offshore Tuna popping trip, and I was wondering if there are any guys in Southern California that y'all can recommend for a single day trip.

2. chuck_w

chuck_w Member

They fish for Tuna different than they do in the Gulf and Atlantic. I'm not sure that they do any popping or jigging. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, do they typically do single day trips for tuna?

3. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Those West Coast guys love live bait. :)

4. IAY

IAY New Member

They sure do love their live baits... I was wondering if anyone had experience in any charters here, but I guess that ain't happening.

5. chuck_w

chuck_w Member

Talk to "The Great PF". He has fished long range trips out of San Diego. Send him a PM.

IAY likes this.
  6. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

bloody decks forum, your best shot at getting a recommendation.

Although if you are expecting to chase 60+ lb class yellowfin
    with poppers on a day trip, I don't think that is realistic.
    Albacore and football BFT most likely targets.

IAY likes this.
  7. IAY

IAY New Member

Thanks for the advice gents! I booked a 1.5 day trip to Mexico out of San Diego on the New Lo-An

8. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

good boat. been there for decades.

IAY likes this.
  9. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Comfortable boat, wide at 25 ft and really slow.

IAY likes this.
  10. IAY

IAY New Member

Going to headout on the night of Black Friday. Pretty late in the season, but hopefully will get some action

11. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Likely destinations will be the Colonet area. Early dawn at grey light is the best time for jigging off the bottom for yellowtail. Then it will likely switch to shallow water rockfish. You can jig but popping is highly unlikely. Looks like tuna has been an off and on situation...mostly off. 1.5 days will not go past the Colonet area. Remember that a US passport is required when fishing Mexico waters.Thank goodness you won't need a California license unless that has changed. I am a Ca resident and haven't bought a CA license in ages as I do not fish local CA waters nor the SD boats anymore.

IAY likes this.
  12. IAY

IAY New Member

I was able to talk to some of the crew member and they did tell me that I won't need my passport since we are doing mostly offshore(no idea if this is true or not...) I've seen the counts come back pretty strong, so hopefully I can have some success with sinking stickbaits.

13. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Good luck! I am thinking about heading there next summer so the wife and kids can do the zoo and Disney. Will try to take a short trip while I am there...

14. rdrblck66

rdrblck66 Active Member

I heard right now there getting 40-60lb. Yellowfin. Very light loads, bait and on the Popper! All 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 trips. I just cant get time off from work. It would be Awesome if they would do Popping trips on the Sport boats, just not there yet. Popping is becoming very popular here, hopefully it will Blow Up soon!!

IAY likes this.
  15. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Don’t they do surface baits like Salas? What would be the difference. I’ve seen Inside Sportfishing cover both casting sardines and iron. Why can’t one cast poppers at the same fish the others are tossing sardines or iron?

Don’t they also cast Wahoo Bombs on the slide or when a Hoo is hooked on the troll? I’d think at the point they spot fish and start tossing live bait to draw them in would be the opportune time for casting artificials. Regardless what they are.

16. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Salas is a subsurface lure, different than a popper which is surface lure.
    People do cast poppers on these trips, just not many do it,
    which is a good thing for those who do currently.

Personally, I would toss poppers when they came upon a school of foamers,
    otherwise, I'm putting on my hook, what they are tossing over the side as chum.

17. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Good luck on your trip.

Enjoy the access to Mexico while it lasts,
    might see some radical changes to this situation,
    if Trump dissolves NAFTA.

IAY likes this.
  18. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Bring your passport anyways to be sure. Conditions change daily. I have seen photos of the fish being caught. Not anywhere as big as indicated. However, this is why I no longer fish SD. The reports are highly exaggerated. I have also seen reports that they are fishing US waters so a Calif fishing license may be required. Keep your options open.

IAY likes this.
  19. IAY

IAY New Member

Just read reports that people are hooking up with 150lb BFTs. I hope Stella 10k XG with 270 yards or so of JB60 is enough...