360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will appreciate if anyone here could post pictures that show in detail "La Corbeteña (La Piedra) off the coast of Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks beforehand.

Sergio

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you are a bit more specific of what are you looking for , someone might be able to help you. JMO

I am trying to see if it would be possible to do some shorefishing from the rock. This means being able to moor there to be dropped off and possible sleep there.

I have no interest at all fishing from a boat around the rock. I would not dare to stay there overnight in some particular months, but I am sure that if I choose the time of the year carefully, the risk regarding bad weather should be reasonable.

My past messages were short because they were made while I was speaking over the phone. I am sorry for the lack of information regarding my interest on it.

The few images of "La Corbeteña" found in the internet are in low resolution. I have not looked into the archives of this forum (I will as soon as I finish writing this message) but I think that pictures taken by fishermen that post in fishing forums might be a good source of graphic information.

Thanks,

Sergio

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basil... I am probably not getting on top of that rock.

Check your e-mail. I will be sending you the pending information in 5 minutes... and also some questions about this particular topic.

Thanks,

Sergio

·
424 Posts
One of the days i was there the water was almost over the entire thing. I wouldnt try it. Camping on the other islas marietas if they allow it is more probable as they are higher than sea level...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you Sergio from Mazaltan, Crazy Al's friend ?

Yes I am. But I am not as Crazy as Al. :)

And please don't let him know about this particular rock... yet! ;)

Sergio

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot for those photographs. They are more than I was expecting.

It sure looks like an interesting rock to fish from. It will require special measures though.

Sergio

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Thanks a lot for those photographs. They are more than I was expecting.

It sure looks like an interesting rock to fish from. It will require special measures though.

Sergio
When someone is asking fishing on the Rock, I thought it is you as you or Crazy Alberto talked about it 6 - 7 years ago. :)

I don't think anybody caught more roosterfish from the surf than you.

You definitely can catch tuna from the Rock when you choose right time in calm weather.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When someone is asking fishing on the Rock, I thought it is you as you or Crazy Alberto talked about it 6 - 7 years ago. :)

I don't think anybody caught more roosterfish from the surf than you.

You definitely can catch tuna from the Rock when you choose right time in calm weather.

Yes, fishing from La Piedra has been in our minds for several years.

I am not sure about the rooster numbers as a record. I caught six today casting from my favorite rock, but I quit fishing for several years, maybe someone passed me :).

Forecasting the wave height is tricky, but over the years (for business purposes) I have spent a lot of hours trying to guess the sea condition in the short term future.

It is just a matter of having everything ready and hop into the plane for the short flight from MZ to PV to spend a few days there trying to catch a nice sized tuna with both feet in the ground.

I will try to convince my dear friend Alberto to join me. It will be some shorefishing trip to remember.

Best wishes,

Sergio

·
2,924 Posts
I have fished PV many many times, thus far the only thing I have managed close to that rock is jack Crevals, they are everywhere near that structure. IM not sure how close the tuna get to it but Im sure its possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have fished PV many many times, thus far the only thing I have managed close to that rock is jack Crevals, they are everywhere near that structure. IM not sure how close the tuna get to it but Im sure its possible.

I had not thought about the incidental catch of Jacks being a problem.

Using a kite will be the last option because I want to hook them with a casted lure.

It is an interesting project for those that prefer to fight them from shore more than anything else.

Thanks for the photographs. I can see some important things in them.

Sergio

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I think it is possible if timing is right as yft are frequent around the Rock.
I saw Josh' video of teasing yft with Ranger Lures very close to the Rock.
We hooked up a nice yft very close to the Rock too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think it is possible if timing is right as yft are frequent around the Rock.
I saw Josh' video of teasing yft with Ranger Lures very close to the Rock.
We hooked up a nice yft very close to the Rock too.

That is the most important aspect of this project, the timing. The timing has to be right for the YFT to be there and also the weather has to be benevolent.

Then the main worry will be getting spooled. I think that my Saltiga Z6000GT will not be enough gun if I can not move. I can fit a Saltist 6500H spool on the Z6000GT. That should give me over 700 yds of 50# test braided line.

Sergio

1 - 20 of 27 Posts