looking for palagic/live bait blanks...help please

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by newton, Feb 22, 2009.

1. newton

newton Guest

been looking for graphite or graphite/glass live bait/palagic rod or blank but i have not had much luck.

I'm looking for a very soft tip/stiff butt action for tossing live bait and lures to mahi ,kings,bonito,school tuna, large barracuda,snook etc. it will need some real power in the butt for fishing near towers/markers where big cuda like to hunt:) but yeah, the rod would mainly be targeting near offshore palagics

if anyone can recommend any blanks under$100 it would be great. i have been looking for a rod for this particular app for some time. would maybe a light tuna popping rod work well for that i need?

any advice is greatly appreciative:)
    newton

2. red34

red34 Guest

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Hi Newton!

I'm no expert but have some ideas, and I'm sure the guys on here can help. Need some more details first...

~$100 for 1-pc blank should be doable. What about rod budget? (There are some lighter class 2-pc popping rods that come to mind, but they are obviously more $$.)

Guessing you'll toss livies and lures roughly 1-4oz, right? But what line class, overall length and max drag?

Other than light tip, what action do you prefer? Fast, Moderate-Fast, Moderate? Keep in mind some of the live bait blanks are really slow!

Thanks!
    Jason

4. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

OTI 50lb popping rod, Pm minnow for a blank there around your price point.

d-a

6. newton

newton Guest

red34, thanks for the link dude! those rods seem really close to what i'm looking for. are there any similar factory rods available? the fast action live bait models may be what i'm looking for. and they are cheaper:)

jason hello,good questions:D i would say i prefer fact action. in most cases. as far as line class, i would say 20 to 60 braid max. i'd say length wise...6'6" to 7'

where can i find those cool triagular, spiral pre shaped grips like the jigging rods use?

thanks
    newton

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Tough to get one rod for the whole range, ;) but Doug is right about OTI 50 blank. Tough to beat it for 40-60lb. Plus it's 2-piece so easier to store and transport.

For 20-40lb see Rainshadow RX7 SW1089 1-piece blank on sale below:
    AcidRod.com Specials

OTI is much more capable. But I do like the Batson RX7 blanks if you're looking for something more geared to typical GOM inshore use.

8. red34

red34 Guest

red34, thanks for the link dude! those rods seem really close to what i'm looking for. are there any similar factory rods available? the fast action live bait models may be what i'm looking for. and they are cheaper:)

Yea. Go to Seeker's website. They generally have a line of rods to match every line of blanks. Also the Melton Intl rods generally use Seeker or Calstar. Look for the Live Bait Marlin rods with the loop rollers made for casting to stripeys in Baja. I'm pretty sure they use those blanks or something similar.

Melton Tackle Graphite/Glass Composite Marlin Live Bait Casting Rods from Melton International Tackle

http://www.seekerrods.com/Rods/BlackSteel.pdf

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Spinning or casting rod?

As mentioned, OTI 2 piece blanks are hard to beat for the price, weight, and convenience, not to mention the exceptional service they provide.

I also am a big fan of the seeker and calstar blanks. The SuperSeeker series (CJB 70 F or CJBF 70 M) and calstar graphiter series (700ML or 700M) are great. Pick one the size and weight class you desire and you will not be disappointed. I think the calstar blanks are under $100. The Superseekers may be a little more expensive. The blanks above are great for what you have mentioned. If you target YFT as well, then I would choose the OTI.

Billy40 knows a lot about rodblanks and used to sell GUSAs. Send him a PM. I like GUSA, but they are not making blanks at this time and all the diehards bought all the available blanks.

Good luck!!