Looking for overnight (28-36hr) Floating rig trip TX

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by ScoutTx, Jan 14, 2017.

1. ScoutTx

ScoutTx Active Member

Hey Y'all...

I've been searching lately online and on forums all over for some potential overnight floating rig trips looking for Yellowfin in the possible month of February. I stay in Galveston but have been looking at areas in Freeport and in Port A.

I could also use Galveston Party Boats also... this is a possibility

I've fished w/ Bluefin in Freeport on their 12hr hopping from shrimp boat to shrimp boat (I know they offer a 36hr YFT trip but none have come up yet or they're booked for January...)

Dolphin Docks in Port A seems to have a good fleet of boats but some things that draw me away is the uncertainty of being able to use braded line or not, some say yes, their website says absolutely not. As well as that, doing some rough estimates, taking a 28hr trip headed out to Boomvang or Nansen will more than likely take around 10-12hrs one way. So that leaves possibly only 4-6hrs of actual fishing.

Scat Cat is another option as well as Deep Sea Headquarters out of Port A. I talked to Deep Sea HQ today and they only offer a 30 hour trip now, which is actually their 24 hour trip with a few added hours due to the Falcon rig being closed down and them having to run about 3 hours further out the gentleman said. As well as that he said a few recent trips some people went home empty handed from a 30 hour trip (not even a single blackfin)

So far it's just me and a buddy. We own all the gear needed for long range trips (not including deep drop electric rigs)

So I turn to you 360. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I don't know if the seasonal window is closed or not but I'm trying to do some tuna fishing :)

(if all else fails, It's a possibility we could run to Venice, LA and take a center console charter but we would have to find a few more individuals to split the cost of the $2000+ bill)

Thanks for looking
    -Larsen

2. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I personally fish Galveston Party boats for tuna now. The only problem is the boat is shut down for maintenance most of Feb, otherwise they have lots of trips. For the money it's a good deal.

3. tunyyyee333

tunyyyee333 Junior member

56 0n scat cat feb dark moon trip

4. ScoutTx

ScoutTx Active Member

Which days in Feb?

5. tunyyyee333

tunyyyee333 Junior member

24 25 26 th 600am fri to 200pm sun

6. ScoutTx

ScoutTx Active Member

7. ScoutTx

ScoutTx Active Member

What are they asking $ wise?

8. ScoutTx

ScoutTx Active Member

Nvm I see $700 if you book before the end of January. Are you going?

9. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

We have one on the 25-26 of February on the New Buccaneer, it is close to full though.

10. Cabanaboy

Cabanaboy Senior Member Fish Killer

If going Dolphin Docks get on the Dolphin Express. More fishing time but more money. If you like to troll on the way out the the LaPesca or the Dolphin are slower boats 8 -10 knots. You can troll on the Dolphin Express with a big reel but it goes out about 15 knots. The Scat Cat is a good boat too.

11. ScoutTx

ScoutTx Active Member

Think I'm going scat cat on Feb 24-26 for a 56hr trip
    Thanks y'all!