360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heythere fellow friends, forgive me if this question has already been asked but where is a good place for me to locate some of the depth finding braid? I saw some individuals use that line aboard the Big E and I kinda took a liking to that product. Many thanks for your invaluable input. Tight lines and hope everyone has a great Merry Christmas!:)

·
723 Posts
Heythere fellow friends, forgive me if this question has already been asked but where is a good place for me to locate some of the depth finding braid? I saw some individuals use that line aboard the Big E and I kinda took a liking to that product. Many thanks for your invaluable input. Tight lines and hope everyone has a great Merry Christmas!:)

Astro,

The OTI Depth Braid is an awesome product, but not the only game in town. There is the OTI, Daiwa Boat Braid, a whole bunch of Japanese Manufacturer's (Varivas, Xzoga, YGK), Sufix Metered, and also Tuf Line XP Indicator. The Tuf Line Indicator is color coded every 10 feet versus 10 meters of most other manufacturers, which I kinda like. The OTI is color coded every 25 feet. Just thought you may want to know about some other options.

·
797 Posts
all that and you could just mark it yourself or tie some small knots on your line with smaller diameter braid and just feel'em and count'em down as it slips across your fingers.......... works great if it's too dark to see well

G

·
Astro,

The OTI Depth Braid is an awesome product, but not the only game in town. There is the OTI, Daiwa Boat Braid, a whole bunch of Japanese Manufacturer's (Varivas, Xzoga, YGK), Sufix Metered, and also Tuf Line XP Indicator. The Tuf Line Indicator is color coded every 10 feet versus 10 meters of most other manufacturers, which I kinda like. The OTI is color coded every 25 feet. Just thought you may want to know about some other options.

Astronut - do a search for any and all of the aforementioned brands and you'll find lost of shops that sell it.

While expensive, one thought is to put only 100 or 200yds of the metered line on your reel, with the rest being a regular braid. no one likes multiple connections, but its a more economical choice.

·
797 Posts
I have tried mark my line with tinnier pieces of braid and glue them eventually the wont last very long , mark them with any type of marker same old same. If you can afford metered line go for it , whether its OTI or any other you'll save time and headaches. JMHO :)

you must knotta done it right.......... lol!

JK!......... yup metered's the way-to-go if you're really worried about it but if you do tie small knots on your line, thread'em though the strands o'the main braid at least once with a sewing needle so they don't slip............ no glue needed

i've seen others use several half-hitch wraps and even floss'em or glue'em down but only on private boats but they're usually dropping for swords when it's slappass pitch dark........ i have no idea how well lit-up head boats are

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW!!..I knew I would get some awesome input on this topic! Yea, I found out that metered line is quite pricey but I like the idea of either splicing on 100-200ft. onto my main line. But the idea I like the most is Mad Marlin's...lets go fishin' more often! Thanks guys for ur time and input, and Steelhead, ur other options are much appreciated!....

·
797 Posts
sit on your porch while we sew a couple of knots on your braid, oh men !!! we all need to go fishing more often

sometime i wonder wether i like the fishing part or the 'getting-rigged-up to go fishing' part better................... then i put down my beer and get behind the helm and remember what all that damned riggin' schtuff was being done for in-the-first-place

now if i'z to have salt spray hittin' me in the face whilst i'z rigging up......... it might be a whole other story :D

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't agree with you more Marlin, sometimes I just like sitting at home with a brewski on a cold rainy day with my rigging gear and make leaders and a spray water bottle with salt, only thing thats missing is that fishy smell... that is until my g/f walks in...LOL!..sorry..my bad!..i'll b-have.

·
223 Posts
Charkbait has Daiwa Boat Braid.

Keep in mind, some metered line is more metered than others, depends on how accurate you want to be.

Daiwa boat braid changes colors every 10 meter, and also has 5 and 1 meter hash marks, so you can dial in an exact depth. On the other hand, it can be confusing if you don't care for that level of accuracy.

Other lines I have seen only change colors every 10 meters, not as accurate, but less confusing.

You can also find a lot of different brands on Ebay, for good deals, especially the imported stuff.

·
223 Posts
One other thing is that Diawa Boat Braid doesn't have much safety factor, its pretty close to nominal breaking strength, so keep that in mind, unlike many other "braided" lines where actual break strength is much higher than nominal. I am not sure about OTI, or any of the others named, perhaps someone else could post that info if they have it.

·
2,835 Posts
The OTI depthfinder line is very soft and easy to tie. I like the fact that it changes color every 25 feet. If the fish are being marked at 200', I just count 8 colors and start jigging. Very simple. I've never broken the depthfinder line on a fish to date. Like stated above in this thread, just tie on about 150-200 yards on top of your solid color braid and your set.

Meters are foreign to me. I'm a feet and inches kind of guy. I also like pounds instead of kilo's.:) Life is to short. I don't want to think about centimeters and kilo's on the water. I just want to fish in my comfort zone and have fun on the water without resorting to a calculator.:D

·
223 Posts
Meters are foreign to me. I'm a feet and inches kind of guy. I also like pounds instead of kilo's.:) Life is to short. I don't want to think about centimeters and kilo's on the water. I just want to fish in my comfort zone and have fun on the water without resorting to a calculator.:D

I just think of meters as yards (1 meter = 3.3 feet = approx 1 yard). Feet is definitely easier, but I like the Diawa Boat Braid myself, allows a more accurate count due to the 5 and 1 meter hash marks.

·
652 Posts
Feet is definitely easier

Definitely not. Anyone who likes our stupid American standard system simply hasn't given the metric system a chance. There's a reason why the whole world uses it except us dumb americans.

Lets see:

12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 1609 yards in a mile....yada yada

Or:

10 millimeters in a centimeter, 10 centimeters in a decimeter, 10 decimeters in a meter, 10 meters in a hectometer, 10 hectometers in a kilometer...and so on. It's all prefixes and powers of 10.

And don't get me started on pints, quarts, gallons, tablespoons, and all that other nonsense!

And yes, born and raised in America. :D

G

·
metric definitely makes more sense, but its all about what you're used to. the more you deal with metric the more it starts to click. its just like learning another language.

·
122 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts